10 replies to this topic

#1 FolsomBusinessOwner

FolsomBusinessOwner

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

We are trying to figure out what to do for my son and would like to hear about any reviews of the special ed or special day classes at the local middle schools. Are you happy with the teachers? Do they like to mainstream as much as possible? Are the class sizes small enough?

Thanks

#2 menicksmom

menicksmom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

My son is autistic (high-functioning) and we bailed out of Rolling Hills Middle School a couple months into 7th grade because of bullying and not following his IEP, which had minimal accommodations. He attended Folsom Cordova Charter School (at the Sutter Middle School campus) though 8th grade. It's a homeschool program but also has optional, and fantastic, classes to attend (Algebra, Social Studies, Science labs, art) and now we attend Visions in Education through San Juan School District. It's also a homeschool program which provides $1600 a year for me to choose his curriculum and classes.....more than enough money. We've spent about $600 so far this year and have all his textbooks, Rosetta Stone for Spanish, golf lessons. They provided a new IEP & speech classes. If you can homeschool (I don't work outside the home), it's a great option.

#3 Oroso

Oroso

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

We are trying to figure out what to do for my son and would like to hear about any reviews of the special ed or special day classes at the local middle schools. Are you happy with the teachers? Do they like to mainstream as much as possible? Are the class sizes small enough?

Thanks

My son is special ed at folsom middle school they have worked great with him, he has adhd and this year has been a great year so far he has a positive attitude towards school.
They give him some 1 on 1 time that has really changed him for the better. If any problems show up we get a phone call and e mail the same day and work it out.
So far so good for us.

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

My son is autistic (high-functioning) and we bailed out of Rolling Hills Middle School a couple months into 7th grade because of bullying and not following his IEP, which had minimal accommodations. He attended Folsom Cordova Charter School (at the Sutter Middle School campus) though 8th grade. It's a homeschool program but also has optional, and fantastic, classes to attend (Algebra, Social Studies, Science labs, art) and now we attend Visions in Education through San Juan School District. It's also a homeschool program which provides $1600 a year for me to choose his curriculum and classes.....more than enough money. We've spent about $600 so far this year and have all his textbooks, Rosetta Stone for Spanish, golf lessons. They provided a new IEP & speech classes. If you can homeschool (I don't work outside the home), it's a great option.

FCUSD told me that I could not homeschool my child and have an IEP on him. They made me sign a waiver releasing him from his IEP before I could enroll him in the District sponsored and paid for homeschool program that used their teaching curriculum, textbooks, and assigned staff. They would not pay for my son's speech therapy, tutors, or coaches. They did not send me a check. They said they would reimburse me for textbooks only, if I chose a book outside of the districts usage; but only if the textbook is approved by the state for public education and age/grade appropriate.

When did that change?

Anyway, They told me that Sutter did not have a program for homeschool students, and any sports I want to enroll my child into, comes from my own pocket.
I strongly suggest readers carefully do their homework before making decisions based on this thread. You are not going to get a check to send your kids to sports, or buy your own textbooks that align with your beliefs- through the FCUSD.

Please be careful when you read and do not think that these charter schools will cater to you and your family in the same manner as a school district sponsored homeschool program and vice versa. They are different and they do have different agendas, staff, etc.

One final note: I think the Sutter Middle School Staff involved in IEP are a bunch of self ingratiating offal throwing baboons. So is the School adminstrative leaders that fore the special ed department to write up terrible/ misleading/ and false diagnoses of special ed students. But don't take my word for it. Check out the lawsuits, settlements, and complaints to the school board, the state board, etc.

If you do choose to keep your child in a program and sty in the FCUSD, transfer your child to Folsom Middle school. At least there, the principal is not directly telling staff to under diagnose students, pass them by grade level and remove them from any star testing so that it doesn't affect the scores, and down grading students needs issues so that they can not get access to special needs programs, and forcing teachers to give passing grades to students who whould be failed- in order to make sure the school does not look bad. YES, Sutter Middle School is a fraud when it comes to smiling sweetly and telling they are working with your child and your child is meeting bi annual goals according to their IEP, and then finding out that the teachers scream at your child, your child is not meeting bi annual goals, and that your child is being pased forward despite failing, that your childs STAR testing results is not included in the schools accreditation because they tell parents to put a child through the 7th grade Star Testing in the Alternate testing -- but they do not tell you that by doing so, it releases them from having to report that childs scores... In other words, there is no accountability to their testing, IEP mandated reporting, and there certainly is no way to effectively make that time up so that your chld has a chance at actually getting educated. They just pass the kid on.

Sutter Middle school has become a drop off zone for special ed students to be babysat, because of EVIL leadership creating ineffective teachers. Do not send your child to Sutter Middle School. Their attitude towards special Ed students is criminal. That is where the ADA lawsuits should be. God, if I had the money.... I would sue that school so hard it would have to close that school down.

#5 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

The only thing I know about any of this is that I personally know a special ed teacher who works at Sutter, and any child would be blessed to have her for a teacher. I cannot comment on the program as a whole, or on the staff at large.

Accordingly, my advice to FolsomBusinessOwner is to go to the different middle schools yourself, talk with the principals and the special ed teachers, and maybe peek in on a class or two.

#6 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

The only thing I know about any of this is that I personally know a special ed teacher who works at Sutter, and any child would be blessed to have her for a teacher. I cannot comment on the program as a whole, or on the staff at large.

Accordingly, my advice to FolsomBusinessOwner is to go to the different middle schools yourself, talk with the principals and the special ed teachers, and maybe peek in on a class or two.

I would echo that as I know one of the teachers as well, and she's amazing. My daughter was also a teacher's assistant in the Special Ed classroom last year. She was also a founding member of a student group at Sutter called PRO (Paws Reaching Out). They worked extensively with the special ed students and organized aftershool activities and events for them -- they worked with them as peers. It was a great program and hope it continues now that my daughter is at FHS.

#7 menicksmom

menicksmom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

FCUSD told me that I could not homeschool my child and have an IEP on him. They made me sign a waiver releasing him from his IEP before I could enroll him in the District sponsored and paid for homeschool program that used their teaching curriculum, textbooks, and assigned staff. They would not pay for my son's speech therapy, tutors, or coaches. They did not send me a check. They said they would reimburse me for textbooks only, if I chose a book outside of the districts usage; but only if the textbook is approved by the state for public education and age/grade appropriate.

When did that change?

Anyway, They told me that Sutter did not have a program for homeschool students, and any sports I want to enroll my child into, comes from my own pocket.
I strongly suggest readers carefully do their homework before making decisions based on this thread. You are not going to get a check to send your kids to sports, or buy your own textbooks that align with your beliefs- through the FCUSD.

Please be careful when you read and do not think that these charter schools will cater to you and your family in the same manner as a school district sponsored homeschool program and vice versa. They are different and they do have different agendas, staff, etc.

One final note: I think the Sutter Middle School Staff involved in IEP are a bunch of self ingratiating offal throwing baboons. So is the School adminstrative leaders that fore the special ed department to write up terrible/ misleading/ and false diagnoses of special ed students. But don't take my word for it. Check out the lawsuits, settlements, and complaints to the school board, the state board, etc.

If you do choose to keep your child in a program and sty in the FCUSD, transfer your child to Folsom Middle school. At least there, the principal is not directly telling staff to under diagnose students, pass them by grade level and remove them from any star testing so that it doesn't affect the scores, and down grading students needs issues so that they can not get access to special needs programs, and forcing teachers to give passing grades to students who whould be failed- in order to make sure the school does not look bad. YES, Sutter Middle School is a fraud when it comes to smiling sweetly and telling they are working with your child and your child is meeting bi annual goals according to their IEP, and then finding out that the teachers scream at your child, your child is not meeting bi annual goals, and that your child is being pased forward despite failing, that your childs STAR testing results is not included in the schools accreditation because they tell parents to put a child through the 7th grade Star Testing in the Alternate testing -- but they do not tell you that by doing so, it releases them from having to report that childs scores... In other words, there is no accountability to their testing, IEP mandated reporting, and there certainly is no way to effectively make that time up so that your chld has a chance at actually getting educated. They just pass the kid on.

Sutter Middle school has become a drop off zone for special ed students to be babysat, because of EVIL leadership creating ineffective teachers. Do not send your child to Sutter Middle School. Their attitude towards special Ed students is criminal. That is where the ADA lawsuits should be. God, if I had the money.... I would sue that school so hard it would have to close that school down.

My son attended the charter school ON the Sutter campus, but not affiliated with Sutter school. It's the modular buildings on EBidwell & Riley, under the big oak trees. Used to be at Theodore Judah modulars. My IEP was originally through Buckeye school, but as I said, it was only modifications so I was comfortable not using it when I went to the charter school. They didn't tell me I couldn't.....I just didn't need it. Since I was homeschooling, I didn't need an IEP to tell me to have him sit in front of the class by the teacher, have teacher remind him to turn in homework, extra time on tests, etc.

They provided the textbooks which were all appropriate for my son & he had been using at Rolling Hills. No problems there. My son doesn't participate in sports, except Challenger League for special ed/disabled children.

#8 puppylover

puppylover

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

When did that change?

Too bad you rant and rave about everything. No one can take you seriously. Are you ever happy about anything?

#9 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:50 AM

Too bad you rant and rave about everything. No one can take you seriously. Are you ever happy about anything?

There was no rant nor rave in the above statement. Why don't you try sticking to the subject, rather than trying to bait people? Grow up.

#10 FolsomBusinessOwner

FolsomBusinessOwner

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

Tracy and Rich,

Thanks for the info about Sutter. Do you think the teacher would be willing to speak/meet with me either in the classroom or via email. I ask because when I looked at an elementary it was a big deal for me to get to see the 5th grade special ed class.

All, thanks for your advice, facts and opinions. It really helps. We need to figure this out soon because if we go the private school route some only have a few spots for next year.

#11 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

Tracy and Rich,

Thanks for the info about Sutter. Do you think the teacher would be willing to speak/meet with me either in the classroom or via email. I ask because when I looked at an elementary it was a big deal for me to get to see the 5th grade special ed class.

All, thanks for your advice, facts and opinions. It really helps. We need to figure this out soon because if we go the private school route some only have a few spots for next year.

I don't see why not. I believe the teacher email addresses are public on the Sutter website.

Best of luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users