44 replies to this topic

#1 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:05 AM

http://www.news10.ne...-at-Folsom-home

These drownings are so sad and so preventable.

From an FPD alert today:

At 5:51 pm on Monday June 11th the Folsom Fire Department responded to the report of an accidental drowning in the pool of a single family residence on Porter Road in Folsom. When Fire personnel arrived on scene, they found a father administering CPR to his unresponsive toddler daughter. Medics from the El Dorado Hills Fire Department rushed the young girl to an area hospital, where despite lifesaving efforts, the 3 ˝ year old was pronounced dead.

The Folsom Police Department conducted an investigation into the drowning, but found nothing suspicious that would suggest any criminal liability on behalf of the family. It was determined the child had been out of her father’s sight for less than five minutes.

Monday’s incident serves as a tragic reminder for parents to educate themselves to prevent accidental drowning.

1. Actively supervise your children around water at all times, and have a phone nearby to call for help in an emergency.
2. Make sure your pool has four-sided fencing and a self-closing, self-latching gate to prevent a child from wandering into the pool area unsupervised. In addition, hot tubs should be covered and locked when not in use.
3. Install a door alarm, a window alarm or both to alert you if a child wanders into the pool area unsupervised.
4. From the start, teach children to never go near or in water without an adult present.
5. Enroll your child in swimming lessons after age 4 – typically the earliest age when they are likely to practice and retain information. Teach children how to tread water, float and stay by the shore.
6. Learn CPR and know how to respond in water emergencies.

These helpful tips are courtesy of www.safekids.org

To me, #2 is critical and worth repeating!

Make sure your pool has four-sided fencing and a self-closing, self-latching gate to prevent a child from wandering into the pool area unsupervised. In addition, hot tubs should be covered and locked when not in use.

The law requires a fence around the property, but to ensure that little ones are safe homeowners should put fencing with a locking gate around the pool. I don't know how many more children need to drown before the law is changed.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#2 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

This makes it at least 3 in the last week or so in the region. How can parents not be aware of the danger ??
I am sure they are hurting for the loss but this is so preventable...

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#3 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

This is such a terrible loss. My heartfelt condolences go out to this family.

#4 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

Older homes often have not been retrofitted with fences to current code. I recall a news story years ago in Phoenix where they correlated number of incidents with age of housing.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#5 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

Older homes often have not been retrofitted with fences to current code. I recall a news story years ago in Phoenix where they correlated number of incidents with age of housing.

To my knowledge, current code doesn't require a fence around the pool.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#6 2kids4me

2kids4me

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

Best $1,200 I ever spent. Seemed like a lot at the time, but so worth it to have peace of mind.

#7 gm2005

gm2005

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

That is so sad. I know a few families on that road and hope this is not one of them

#8 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

From the video and an idea where that street is that house can't be more than 5-7 years old.

#9 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

To my knowledge, current code doesn't require a fence around the pool.

I'm not a professional. But the inspections we got on our new place dinged it for not having a fence around the jaccuzi.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#10 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

I'm not a professional. But the inspections we got on our new place dinged it for not having a fence around the jaccuzi.

Interesting! That's good to know. I'd love to see the current code related to hot tubs and pools.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#11 jpow5

jpow5

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

That's interesting. Is it an above ground, stand-alone jaccuzi with the cover? You'd think the cover would be enough. As of two summers ago, the only safety requirements for new pool construction in Folsom were that the gate to the backyard needed to open out, be self-closing and self-latching. In addition, any doors that lead to the pool area needed an alarm.

#12 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

it is misspelled either way, but I was expecting a topic about toddler drawings, not toddler drownings.

maybe a moderator can correct the title and then delete my post

Thank you! I have a new computer that I love... except for the fact that I type faster than it can keep up.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#13 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

That is so sad.

We don't know whether the pool had a fence, didn't have a fence, fence was accidentally left open, etc.

We've all had the experience of a toddler getting out of our sight when we are distracted just for a few seconds.

My heart goes out to the family. I can't imagine the grief, guilt, anger, etc. Let's hope the family can find healing and peace.

#14 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

The house is certainly older than five because I live a few blocks down and this road was already established. I was disgusted to read comments on the news sites. It sure is easy to criticize parents for not keeping their children safe! I am sure this family is grieving the loss of their daughter and doesn't for a minute second guess if they had only . . . This family doesn't need to be "villainized" for the loss of their daughter. I am sure we are all guilty of not being careful enough at some point in our lives and we should be grateful tragedy didn't happen to us.

From the video and an idea where that street is that house can't be more than 5-7 years old.

#15 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

The house is certainly older than five because I live a few blocks down and this road was already established. I was disgusted to read comments on the news sites. It sure is easy to criticize parents for keeping their children safe! I am sure this family is grieving the loss of their daughter and don't for a minute second guess if they had only . . . This family doesn't need to be "villainized" for the loss of their child. I am sure we are all guilty of not being careful enough at some point in our lives and we should be grateful tragedy didn't happen.

I hope you don't take my original post as villainizing (I realize you were referring to comments on the news websites). We can't prevent every tragedy, but it does behoove us as parents to do what we can to prevent them. The fact that so many children have drowned or nearly drowned in such a short period of time is enough to tell me the tips forwarded by the FPD bear repeating and repeating and repeating. If by posting and discussing them one child is saved it will have been worth it.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users