2 replies to this topic

#1 knittychick

knittychick

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

I know the topic of laptop repair has been addressed before, but things change quickly in the computer business, so I’d like some current recommendations please. My laptop is not truly broken, but it is running slow. I know I have years of junk on it that should be removed and probably more stuff I don’t even know about. I am concerned about deleting things myself when I’m not sure what they are. I did that once (years ago) and the program I didn’t recognize was integral to several other programs that would no longer work with it removed. I need someone who knows what's important and what's not to purge my computer of unnecessary junk.

If you’ve used someone in the last six months to a year and are happy with their service, please let me know. Thanks!

"Peace is always beautiful." - Walt Whitman

#2 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

Cant remember the name, but the shop in the Target parking lot by Carl's Jr has helped out with several different computer issues over the years.   Sometimes, staff there has been, um, well, they seem less than enthused, but other times have been fine.  Think of the gruff auto mechanic that knows his business but understands his machines better than relating to people.

It all depends on what you use your computer for.  If it is just word processing, email and browsing the web, you can pretty much take all your applications off except for your browser (Microsoft, Firefox, Chrome,, etc), your antivirus (Norton, Avast, etc), your email client (outlook, thunderbird, etc) and your operating system (windows, IOS,, etc), productivity suite (Office, open office, etc)

The main thing you will probably want to save are all of your documents (word files, email, pictures, etc)  You really should be doing that regularly anyway in a backup. External hard drives are cheap and work well for that.

Every couple of years, I completely wipe my drive and reinstall the OS from scratch. I then load/download all the relevant programs that I run regularly.  It's a pain, but it keeps things somewhat clean

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#3 Long Ago & Back

Long Ago & Back

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

Greetings, I highly recommend Express Techs -- I have used their services over the last 4+ years, including just last Friday when my laptop misbehaved after a business trip.  Rick was able to come over about an hour after I called, diagnosed & fixed the problem in about 15 minutes, then tuned up & cleaned the laptop & helped me with another data transfer project for my desktop.  I have always been very pleased with the quality service, especially since they come to my location & I don't have to take & leave my machines somewhere else.

Contact info:  Express Techs, Rick Ferri -- phone 916-367-8501 -- www.ExpTechs.com

PS-- Tell him Rebecca referred you

Edited by Long Ago & Back, 11 February 2018 - 11:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users