#16 PersiferWool

PersiferWool

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(PersiferWool @ Jul 14 2006, 08:19 PM) View Post

I have two cats, 1 long hair red tabby named Mohan (male), who is 3 years old and a short hair torty named Ember (female), who the vet says is approxiamately 1 year. I got Mohan from the pet store when he was 8 weeks and rescued Ember from a locked storage container behind my job. It took Ember almost 4 months to warm up to Mohan. I guess she might have been use to fighting the other feral cats that we have a colony of behind my work. Anyway, the funniest and easiest way to teach a cat how to climb and scratch on the "right" things is using a laser pointer. We bought one of them tall cat trees with several perches on it. We ran the laser pointer up and down the cat tree and up/down he would go. Not only is it hysterical watching them but they learn this is a play toy/a thing to tear up and get great exercise as well. Someone else stated not to let the cat outdoors, I agree and reiterate....Please keep cats indoors. Cats seem to be very prone to catching diseases and wandering into danger. I had a kitten a year ago that was born to a mother that carried the Feline Leukemia virus. No one had any idea because the mother cat had never shown any signs of the disease or illnesses. At 6 months old I took the kitten to the vet to have her fixed and a week later she fell violently ill (vomiting constantly) She was then tested for all the diseases cats can catch and sure enough she was positive for Feline Leukemia, even though she had already been vaccinated. She inevitably died a few days later. Once they have it, nothing will cure it or prevent it...and unfortunately she was born with it. Best thing for a cat is to spay/neuter and keep it inside.

I also forgot to mention that once spayed/neutered cats don't have that "wandering" nature any more. Especially if you have them fixed before they get into all that hormonal stuff. My older cat has never been outside aside from our balcony every now and then and he is just fine.
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln

#17 Softballspazz26

Softballspazz26

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:06 PM

They make things called Soft Paws ( http://www.softpaws.com/ ) and they are little plastic caps that you put on your cats claws to prevent them from damaging funiture. I put them on my kitty when I first got him. They work pretty well. You have to be willing to take 10-15 minutes or so to glue them on and then change them about every month. But in the long run it is much better than having to declaw your cat.

Oh..not to mention...they come in various colors!! specool.gif

#18 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE(Softballspazz26 @ Jul 14 2006, 06:06 PM) View Post

They make things called Soft Paws ( http://www.softpaws.com/ ) and they are little plastic caps that you put on your cats claws to prevent them from damaging funiture. I put them on my kitty when I first got him. They work pretty well. You have to be willing to take 10-15 minutes or so to glue them on and then change them about every month. But in the long run it is much better than having to declaw your cat.
Oh..not to mention...they come in various colors!! specool.gif

Too bad they didn't have these seven years ago, or if they did, I didn't know of them. That is great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users