Is The Drought Over?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

I just read on another forum that some people believe the drought is over. And this person lives in Sacramento. 

What??? 

Folsom lake is normal and actually we have received 90% of normal precipitation in some locations.

CNRFC - AWIPS Text Product - RR4RSA

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

well, Folsom Lake is normal for this time of year, but there is also usually a ton of snow in the mountains to replenish it as the lake slowly drains.  Whoever posted what you read is very poorly informed.  That's not good, because they aren't going to be conserving.

now I have read of a good probability of having an insanely powerful El Nino this coming year.  If that happens, we may start to catch up, but I'm not going to be taking any chances.  Even if we get an El Nino, it would likely be warm.  That would mean the reservoirs would fill, but, again, no snow pack.  Snow pack is everything.  we only 3 percent of our average snowpack this year.  3 percent.  That is unheard of. 

all my forest service friends are extremely concerned about this.  they have been seeing it coming for the past four years.  we don't see what they see.  They are predicting firestorms this summer and praying for the opposite. 

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 2 Aces

2 Aces

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:33 PM

Of course the drought is over. I realized that when I heard our City Council was going *full speed ahead* with the South of 50 project. So I am back watering as usual. Yes, I know we've been over this a thousand times, but City Council needs to lead by example...right? But they don't, so clearly the drought is over...which is why my lawn is green and my pool is filled to the brim.

#4 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

The drought is over. I left my shower on by accident last night and there was still water coming out this morning so that proves it!

#5 Rich_T

Rich_T

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:11 PM

I drove up Hwy 99 yesterday.  The almond orchards looked nice and green.  Many young saplings were planted.  Pyramid Lake in SoCal (off I-5 over the "grapevine") looked nice and full.

The drought is over!!!

#6 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

The drought is over. I left my shower on by accident last night and there was still water coming out this morning so that proves it!

forehead slap...

I could actually see someone saying something like this...too.

#7 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

Has anyone noticed the lovely birds we heard 6 weeks ago, have already flown off? There are very few wild birds and geese in the parks compared to a few years ago. I don't think the drought is over. In fact, I would venture to say that many animals in the area have sensed a hard year ahead and are already moving back up to the hills where the likelihood of grasses, bark, and wet creek beds are more realistic.

#8 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:14 AM

The PD and the water dept. need to work on communication during this drought.  There is a broken pipe of some sort pouring water into the gutter by Sudwerks and it's been going on since about 3:00 a.m.

I think the way it's supposed to work is if you see something like that you call the non-emergency number of the PD, and then they relay it to whoever is on call at the city to go out and shut it off.  If a message is left on the water conservation department voicemail or email after business hours I don't think they check it until they return the next work day.

#9 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:00 AM

I think in sac county they will come out after hours for a broken main, but not an irrigation pipe.

#10 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:07 AM

I think in sac county they will come out after hours for a broken main, but not an irrigation pipe.

This was more of a main or large pipe situation spraying water into the road, not just a leaking sprinkler.  I wonder if Sudwerks will have a rather large water bill or if it's actually a city pipe.

#11 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:33 AM

I saw on the news that Dublin San Ramon Services District has a residential recycled water fill station that is free to even those outside of the district.  It's water they would have treated and dumped into the bay.  

You show up during designated hours with your container in the back of your vehicle and fill up to help with watering your landscape.  A 200-mile round-trip drive to Pleasanton with a lot of water weight on the return trip doesn't really seem feasible from Folsom.  Too bad Folsom or some other water district in the area can't do something like this.

#12 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:54 AM

I saw on the news that Dublin San Ramon Services District has a residential recycled water fill station that is free to even those outside of the district.  It's water they would have treated and dumped into the bay.  

You show up during designated hours with your container in the back of your vehicle and fill up to help with watering your landscape.  A 200-mile round-trip drive to Pleasanton with a lot of water weight on the return trip doesn't really seem feasible from Folsom.  Too bad Folsom or some other water district in the area can't do something like this.

If I lived there and had a pick-up, I'd fill it up once a week to water garden.  We don't treat our "used" water here though, we send it to Sacramento and pay them to treat it.

#13 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:59 AM

If I lived there and had a pick-up, I'd fill it up once a week to water garden.  We don't treat our "used" water here though, we send it to Sacramento and pay them to treat it.

I know.  That's why our Regional Sanitation bills have gone up so much.  We are paying for a revamp to restore our "used" water to be clean enough for drinking water and then putting it back into the river if I remember right.  I wonder if there could be a pick-up station in Sacramento similar to the one in Pleasanton.

#14 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:03 AM

I know.  That's why our Regional Sanitation bills have gone up so much.  We are paying for a revamp to restore our "used" water to be clean enough for drinking water and then putting it back into the river if I remember right.  I wonder if there could be a pick-up station in Sacramento similar to the one in Pleasanton.

its less probable in Sacramento since they are probably expected to return water to the river.  the treated water in the bay area goes right to the bay, so no downstream users.

#15 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

its less probable in Sacramento since they are probably expected to return water to the river.  the treated water in the bay area goes right to the bay, so no downstream users.

True.  So the water Folsom residents use isn't truly wasted as others have pointed out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users