• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

Speed bumps sometimes just appear in the middle of the night.

I seem to remember the rationale for the no-bumps policy had to do with fire trucks getting high-centered. or maybe it was Ferraris. Something red, anyhow.

I think you could do quite a lot with bott's dots or grooves or some other thing that makes you notice but doesn't throw the car into the air. Or, just lay down some curbs and paint and narrow the lanes. It works.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#17 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:Freedom. Family. Food. Funds.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

I like automatic radar / picture machines. :)

#18 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

A Mr. SLow in front of each house.

#19 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

Don't take this as a personal critique. But given the prevalence of accidents, hit-run and other traffic tragedies reported in the news, perhaps we, the people, are not the best arbiters of safe speed. This methodology seems flawed.

OK, I won't take it as a personal critique. but maybe you should think about the other 20%. If 80% is taken as safe, that leaves 20% that are driving too fast for safety. 20% driving less than safe is more than enough to account for the prevalence of accidents and stuff. Heck, I'm surprised there aren't more.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

#20 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

OK, I won't take it as a personal critique. but maybe you should think about the other 20%. If 80% is taken as safe, that leaves 20% that are driving too fast for safety. 20% driving less than safe is more than enough to account for the prevalence of accidents and stuff. Heck, I'm surprised there aren't more.

I don't disagree. But what I was implying was that even if 80% 'think' a certain speed is safe (or just don't care), I'm not sure that's the best way to set a 'safe' speed limit. The other 20% are just driving at an even more unsafe level -- it doesn't mean that the 80% are driving at safe levels.

IOW, A majority of people driving at a certain level of speed doesn't make the speed safe.

#21 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

Speed bumps sometimes just appear in the middle of the night.

would it be wrong for spike strips to accidentally be left out?

#22 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

Get a child mannequin, attach it to a skateboard, hide behind a parked car, wait for a speeder and roll the "kid on skateboard" a few feet out from behind the parked vehicle as the speeder approaches...

The speeder will remember their heart stoppage far longer than a "you are going this fast" sign.

Seriously, we tried to get children at play signs, speed bumps, enforced patrol, etc in our neighborhood (no sidewalks and lots of blind curves)...no luck. We eventually gave up on that and are extra vigilant instead. Funny thing, our street isn't even a thoroughfare, it just loops back on the neighborhood so traffic must be local...thanks neighbors!

OTOH, there are speed limit "nazis" who go overboard. On a local street with a 40mph limit, I had a man yell loudly and gesture angrilly, "The limit is 40!"
My speed? 39mph. Sigh...

Not sure how that 2x4 got there....

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#23 tsukiji

tsukiji

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

I like the way you think. :)

I wonder if some military style discipline methodology would work here (at least for some cases): if the driver gets pulled over for speeding, DUI and similar infractions, everybody in the car with a driver's license gets the same ticket. Use peer pressure to instill desired behaviors....

#24 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

I don't disagree. But what I was implying was that even if 80% 'think' a certain speed is safe (or just don't care), I'm not sure that's the best way to set a 'safe' speed limit. The other 20% are just driving at an even more unsafe level -- it doesn't mean that the 80% are driving at safe levels.

IOW, A majority of people driving at a certain level of speed doesn't make the speed safe.

OK, you're right, the majority of people drive recklessly and dangerously. It's a fricking miracle any of us survive on the road.
Posted Image

#25 Sparkey

Sparkey

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

take away their reason for using your street as a shortcut.....

so, if you cant get a speed bump, then change the rules of driving.

Make some of the roads one way...or No turn right from a targeted corner (awesome solution--forcing them to go waaay out of their way, they don't come back:).

ofcoarse..it still requires you to go through the traffic planning commission or whatever it is called in each city, for permission to get the change approved....

Supermom

Great, You get it!

The other thing that I didn't mention was "Stop-Signs". FYI soooo the only two things that I'm aware of that will work 24/7 at this time is as stated: "Speed-Bumps" or "Stop-Signs" or in some cases, even both.

Also maybe what the fight here is, is "Cost" (money perhaps already delegated to another program). And not the inability to change, although I find that dificult to believe after what was done to "Old-Town/Down-Town".

p.s. I may be willing to participate in something real, but I don't believe passive suggestion is going to help much in this particular case.

Sincerely,
Sparkey

#26 newfamtofolsom

newfamtofolsom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

I was told, by the city council member I contacted, that he would look at stop signs (that too was my suggestion). He's a city engineer. I'll wait to see if I hear anything more. I was told this back in late October.

#27 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

I was told, by the city council member I contacted, that he would look at stop signs (that too was my suggestion). He's a city engineer. I'll wait to see if I hear anything more. I was told this back in late October.

I'm not sure who you talked to, a city engineer or a city council member or both. Did they mention anything about gathering neighbors' signatures requesting a stop sign? I wonder if that would help move things along.

#28 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

Not sure how that 2x4 got there....

You mean the one with nails poking up out of it? :P

"It must have fallen out of that pick-up truck that drove by awhile ago"
Posted Image

#29 newfamtofolsom

newfamtofolsom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:03 PM

I'm not sure who you talked to, a city engineer or a city council member or both. Did they mention anything about gathering neighbors' signatures requesting a stop sign? I wonder if that would help move things along.

I corresponded in email with
Mark A. Rackovan, PE
Senior Civil Engineer/Traffic
City of Folsom Public Works

No, he didn't mention getting neighbors signatures, but that's a great idea. I can do that myself and I'm willing to, but with managing a 3 week old baby and a 2 year old right now it might have to wait.

#30 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

I corresponded in email with
Mark A. Rackovan, PE
Senior Civil Engineer/Traffic
City of Folsom Public Works

No, he didn't mention getting neighbors signatures, but that's a great idea. I can do that myself and I'm willing to, but with managing a 3 week old baby and a 2 year old right now it might have to wait.

Sounds like you have your hands full!
You shouldn't have to do it yourself. I know you're new to Folsom, but it might be a good way to meet your neighbors. I'm sure the other neighbors are just as fed up with the speeding as you are. Maybe ask one neighbor for their signature and ask if they would be willing to recruit some more neighbors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users