#16 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

And still more good stuff!

These infections could represent a normal rate of transmission for fully informed, trained health care workers during an outbreak. But in combination with the unprecedented scale of this epidemic, they may also suggest, at the least, that this is the most virulent and efficient strain of Ebola we’ve ever seen. At worst, we’re witnessing the onset of a deadly mutation anticipated and feared for almost four decades.

Below are excerpts I found from an exchange with a virologist. Interesting stuff.

The reason the media keeps repeating that mission medicine groups are pulling out is because they’ve never seen an outbreak in this scale before. Why they aren’t flying this patient to Fort Detrick containment facility first before Emory is unknown to me other than Emory and CDC have sequencing capabilities and Fort Detrick does not. I received a tweet from a colleague virologist in the field, Africa. His comment,“Much much worse than media is saying…. coming home”. I ask…..why wouldn’t they set up shop inside the massive BSL 4 facility at CDC? Emory? This virus has a 65% mortality rate not 80% which means it has traded off pathogenesis for the ability to “jump” i.e. move from patient to patient. Currently all that is known about this virus is that Blood or body fluid to mucus membrane direct contact, however, I now question that guideline recommendation for safe handling because the DOCTOR and NURSES who went straight away to the HOT ZONE are now infected and 2 nurses dead already that were trained to handle this virus infection in patients with “barrier protection” as recommended by CDC.

Bottom line: I believe this virus is traveling on micro droplets of lung water vapor thus the virus is airborne and bio-safety training for airborne virus means RESPIRATORS of which none of the personal on site are wearing and people are coming home from service in Africa who won’t know they are infected. This virus has a 21 day infectivity period. All virus in this class are limited for spreading and jumping because Ebola, Marburg, Lasa etc all KILL their host too fast i.e. 7-10 days and that includes primary infection to crash and bleed out. This virus is 21-30 days? Huge difference in number of people an infected person can get close to with an incubation of 21-30 days vs 7-10. I believe this virus is a mutant thus reason they are taking the patient to Emory so the CDC and Emory labs can sequence it. Fort Detrick does not have that capability. Call me crazy but I’m not leaving it to chance even with a minute chance of it happening. Be prepared my friend!

#17 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

Ebola possibly airborne now. For those who poo-poo this you may want to re-think your position.

http://www.dailymail...ys-contact.html

#18 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

No darling, - no schools in Folsom are allowed to cite Wikipedia. And the papers my kid did cite, came from verified sources. But nice of you to yet again belittle someone on this site. 

As for the money pharma companies would make on this project? So not true. The only way to counter a virus that could be used as a weapon of mass production is to pump money into the research and development of a vaccination and develop a plan for fast inoculation of population. Negativity and fear mongering, along with snide comments do not justify the breach of confidence and incredible sacrifices of the people who jump into the infectious populations to humanely treat and add relief to the suffering of complete strangers. So lets try to keep this thread respectful- and I will go back to ignoring you and your blatant disrespect for humans and humanity.

Don't worry about him, he can't spell. Last I checked "likely hood" is spelled likelihood so maybe he can check Wikipedia for his spelling too! :)

#19 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:50 PM

Don't worry about him, he can't spell. Last I checked "likely hood" is spelled likelihood so maybe he can check Wikipedia for his spelling too! :)

Har Har...well done on the spell check ace. Meanwhile, you and Supermom should volunteer to help heal these Ebola folks that are spreading the wealth here in the US. I think you'd both be perfect for the job.

#20 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

I wonder how long they will hold the doctor In quarantine after they declare him cured. I heard tonight the virus is even in sweat. That's amazing!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#21 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

I wonder how long they will hold the doctor In quarantine after they declare him cured. I heard tonight the virus is even in sweat. That's amazing!

I would think 21 days after the last symptom might be a good start. There is another doctor who was on the news tonight who had been serving in Liberia and has put himself in quarantine for the next 21 days. He currently doesn't have any symptoms. This is where I am getting the 21 days.

#22 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

I would think 21 days after the last symptom might be a good start. There is another doctor who was on the news tonight who had been serving in Liberia and has put himself in quarantine for the next 21 days. He currently doesn't have any symptoms. This is where I am getting the 21 days.

The 21 days would only be if there are no symptoms.

If he has symptoms and survives, he would have to be closely monitored for presence of the virus still in his body.  WHO says men can still transmit the virus to their partners for 7 weeks after surviving Ebola.  There was an instance of the virus being isolated in semen 61 days after onset of the illness. 

#23 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

Nomad, how stupid do you really think American doctors are? We have the best in the world here. Have some faith in America.

sticker,375x360.u3.png

Svzr2FS.jpg

#24 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

this virus seems to make the body more like a sieve.  if you can find virus in sweat and semen, that is really spreading its way throughout the body. 

#25 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

Nomad, how stupid do you really think American doctors are? We have the best in the world here. Have some faith in America.

sticker,375x360.u3.png

We are definitely lucky to live in a nation with some great doctors and medical care facilities, but the recent mistakes at the highest level biosecurity labs with workers being mistakenly exposed to Anthrax, the accidental mixing of a common flu strain with H5N1bird flu, and vials of small pox being found where they shouldn't be doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence.

#26 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Death toll at 887. I wonder if we plan to share the secret, experimental serum that we used on the two Americans with the folks in Africa?

http://www.usnews.co...africa-hits-887

#27 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

It is alarming that many of the people getting sick are doctors and other health care workers. Presumably they know the precautions that must be taken, yet somehow they are still catching the disease. I don't know if that's because of a lack of available protective gear in Africa, or maybe because the disease initially mimics an ordinary flu????

Unfortunately, accidental transmission is inevitable, though hopefully rare. Health care workers take "universal precautions"--yet there still is the occasional case of a healthcare worker infected with HIV due to an accidental needle stick. And HIV is much harder to transmit than ebola.

#28 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

my understanding is that they take blood from someone who had ebola and survived and they thin it down and inject it into someone who is actively infected in the hopes that it triggers a similar immune response.

#29 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

Well this is a new and fascinating twist. An experimental medicine was flown to Africa for these 2 individuals. Untested in humans. Both patients had a dramatic improvement, and that's why Brantly was able to walk off the ambulance and into the Emory Clinic!

#30 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

my understanding is that they take blood from someone who had ebola and survived and they thin it down and inject it into someone who is actively infected in the hopes that it triggers a similar immune response.

Yes, this is where the magic serum comes from. However it's very, very risky. Mostly because it's never been tested on humans before and if the patient doesn't really have Ebola you can give to to them!

Also, the rate of finding people that have survived the disease and acquired some immunity to create the serum is far slower paced than the people that die from it so in the end there can never be enough of this cure to go around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users