• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mcromeen

mcromeen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:54 AM

Can anyone recommend some family & pet friendly camp sites in California?

#2 knittychick

knittychick

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:11 AM

Do you use a trailer/motor home or tent? I recommend the Union Valley/Ice House area up Hwy 50. Our favorite spot for non-nature camping is Tahoe Valley in So. Lake Tahoe. We can ride our bikes to the bike path from the campgrounds and it’s a great base for day hikes throughout the Tahoe area. They are pet friendly and have tons of activities for kids – swimming pool, basketball and tennis courts, and an ice cream social and family-friendly movie in a big tent on Saturday nights. It's just the two of us, so we don't participate in the kid activities, but they are available. Two years ago we saw a bear wandering through the campsite, but we’ve been going to TV for years and he’s the only one we’ve seen.
"Peace is always beautiful." - Walt Whitman

#3 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (mcromeen @ Jun 22 2010, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can anyone recommend some family & pet friendly camp sites in California?

All state and national parks allow pets - you just have to keep them on a leash and some parks say keep them off trails. We just finished a 3500 mile roadtrip with our dog and it was no trouble at all. smile.gif

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

Sly Park Recreation area at Jenkinson Lake has campsites. It's just up Highway 50 not too far. Dogs are allowed. They just can't swim in the lake. It's run by El Dorado Irrigation District.

http://www.eid.org/r...ark-camping.htm

#5 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

I just spent the weekend at Sugar Pine Reservoir, it was beautiful and my dog was no problem.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#6 Ogre of 4

Ogre of 4

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (ducky @ Jun 22 2010, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sly Park Recreation area at Jenkinson Lake has campsites. It's just up Highway 50 not too far. Dogs are allowed. They just can't swim in the lake. It's run by El Dorado Irrigation District.

http://www.eid.org/r...ark-camping.htm

We like this camp ground but I never understood the issue with dogs in the lake. I know this is their water supply but geez, don't they filter/purify it first. Gas powered motors ok but no dogs? Just doesn't make sense.

Other than that rant Sly Park is close by with just enough altitude to be cool in the evenings. I think they still rent boats and the fishing is ok.
God, if I can’t have what I want, let me want what I have.

#7 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

Good suggestions so far and will add a few more.

Brannan Island State Park or a number of private but about the same $$ as a SP all in Rio Vista. Much cooler down there and always a spot available.

Sugar Pine State Park on west side of Lake Tahoe

Twin Lakes near Bishop, CA (lakes, trails, quiet, bike trails...great place)

Also search for a thread in spring or summer of 2008 or 2009 on RV campsites. If I recall a good number of suggestions including Shasta Lake and a few lakes up state from there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users