2 replies to this topic

#1 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

Having done a few Folsom Burger Tastings with the burger crew from MyFolsom I thought we had tried some very good burgers. My favorites were the Kobe burger at the closed Folsom Bistro, and the offerings at Bidwell Street Bistro, Red Robin, Relish and Sutter Street Grill. When Relish and Smashburger came to EDH and Folsom respectively, friends in the Roseville area said I had to try The Counter. Always in the hunt for the Great Cheeseburger in Paradise and being the burger loving omnivore I am, I took the family last weekend. Not only was I impressed, I thought it was awesome and have a reason to stop there on the occasional Fry's or Harbor Freight run.

The Counter is in the Fountains shopping plaza or lifestyle mall among nice stores from gardening to fashion to Whole Foods. http://www.thecounterburger.com/

We arrived right before they had a local Blues band playing in the court and we scored a table on the patio. Shortly after we sat down the place filled up. Place is modern, upscale-ish for a burger joint but nothing fancy with seating inside and out on a good sized patio. If you like people watching, concerts or being outside, the patio is the spot to be.

The Counter has specialty burgers, build your own and a daily or weekly special similar to ordering pizza. Menu For starters we shared a plate of fried dill pickle chips, first time for me and they were good with a crisp battered texture and a creamy sauce. For burgers, I built a 1/3 lb beef burger, added Tillamook Cheddar, Scallions, Tomatoes, Roasted Red Peppers, Mixed Greens, Applewood Smoked Bacon and a Roasted Garlic Aioli on a multigrain bun. As you can see from the menu link, there are dozens of combinations on building your burger from beef or chicken, turkey or veggie, bun or bowl, sauces and toppings. It can seem overwhelming when the choice has been #2 Animal Style but it is actually fun to experiment a bit. Foodies will love this concept. My wife built a spicier burger with Harissa sauce and a few other ingredients that were from the weekly or daily special burger creation. The three of us shared a 50/50 order of shoestring fries and sweet potato fries that came with two sauces and were very good although we didnt finish them because the banana and banana split sundae milkshakes helped fill us up. They weren't Hagen Das ice cream like Smashburger but they are hand scooped and very good. Besides I tried the Smashburger HD shakes and found them plain not any different than if I went to Raleys and made a shake out of the Sunnyside or house brand ice cream.

Overall rating - #1 burger. Relish, Red Robin and BSB have very good burgers but The Counter beats them both. A rumor that The Counter could be coming here but it is only a rumor (and dream). If you havent tried it, GO! and post your review below.

#2 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

If you like fancy burgers with fancy toppings, I'm sure this place can't be beat. But if you like a classic burger with classic toppings (lettuce onions tomato) then this place is an overpriced ripoff.

That's not necessarily a fault, I just thought it was worth noting.

#3 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

Agree it is the gourmet style burgers and can be pricey but in line with Relish, BSB, FB, Red Robin in price.

If I want a good classic burger, Folsom has it with In-n-Out (fast food) or Sutter Street Grill (restaurant)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users