#1 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:35 PM

Hi folks....

I have an older calico cat.. about 12 years old...

She eats primarily dry food... sometimes I mix some tuna in there.. so she eats good....

but... the dang cat will not drink out of a bowl in the house... oh no... she goes out into a littel water feature pond I have in the back yard next to the pool...

I put some water in there to keep it somewhat fresh... but there are leaves and other debris that gets in there.. I mean I wouldn't drink out of it...

But what would you do... just ignore it.. or try something else...?

get back to me woud ya....

#2 Nancy

Nancy

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:19 PM

They actually have water bowls for cats that circulate running water. Apparently it's a behavioral thing with cats.

Here's a good picture that gives you the idea -

http://www.hammacher...blish/72732.asp

But Petsmart has them for much much cheaper.

http://www.petsmart....f...03&view=all

#3 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

Our cat has developed a drinking problem lately. She is very good about staying off the counters and tables etc. but lately if there is a soda can up there she'll jump up knock it over and start drinking the soda.... rolleyes.gif

#4 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:44 PM

Make sure the water vessel doesn't have soap residue. Maybe rinse it good. The chlorine from fresh tap water may be an issue. Cats smell and taste much, much better than we do so they notice these things.

Our cats will not drink out of a bowl, only from a glass. We have a few scattered around the house. They get the water that's filtered by our refrigerator.
"Is that your bike? It sure looks fast."

#5 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE(EDF @ Dec 26 2007, 05:35 PM) View Post
Hi folks....

I have an older calico cat.. about 12 years old...

She eats primarily dry food... sometimes I mix some tuna in there.. so she eats good....

but... the dang cat will not drink out of a bowl in the house... oh no... she goes out into a littel water feature pond I have in the back yard next to the pool...

I put some water in there to keep it somewhat fresh... but there are leaves and other debris that gets in there.. I mean I wouldn't drink out of it...

But what would you do... just ignore it.. or try something else...?

get back to me woud ya....

my cats used to do the same too - until we got them one of those circulating water bowls that Nancy described - get one of those and I bet that will take care of the prob.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#6 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:46 AM

Ours also prefer outside fountains, puddles, the pool, etc. They will drink from their bowl, but it's not their favorite.

Crazy cats........
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#7 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:53 AM

If you solve this cat drinking habit, maybe you can give me advice for my dog. He much prefers to drink out of the toilet, rather than his water bowl. Easy answer is close the toilet lids after every use, but with three kids, and a sometimes forgetful husband, that doesn't always happen.

#8 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:04 AM

Thanks...

I'll try one of those circulating bowls... the water feature ouside is at ground level and has a fountain.. but it's weird.. when the fountain is going.. she doesn't really like drinking out of it then... I've only seen her do a couple of times when the fountain is on...

must be the splashing it makes...

#9 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE(chris v @ Dec 26 2007, 09:11 PM) View Post
Our cat has developed a drinking problem lately. She is very good about staying off the counters and tables etc. but lately if there is a soda can up there she'll jump up knock it over and start drinking the soda.... rolleyes.gif

Diabetic?

#10 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Dec 26 2007, 09:11 PM) View Post

That was the cat??!! I gave the kid some heat for knocking over a soda and not cleaning it up.

No wonder he was confused when I asked him about it.
<3

#11 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:30 PM

When we were single and had beer out all the time, our dog would knock over the bottles and drink the beer. And we thought she wasn't a smart dog! tongue.gif

#12 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(john @ Dec 27 2007, 01:30 PM) View Post
When we were single and had beer out all the time, our dog would knock over the bottles and drink the beer. And we thought she wasn't a smart dog! tongue.gif

Is there anything dogs won't eat or drink?? I'm beginning to wonder...

[attachment=1569:corona.jpg]
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#13 dnell

dnell

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:07 AM

My cat is a very picky drinker. I could sit by her water bowl and slowly trickle fresh water in there for her...she'll just give me that "I'm not interested" look. Then 5 minutes later I'll just see a kitty butt and tail sticking out from the toilet. She goes crazy for toilet water. We try to keep the seat down but we do forget time to time...it's like our cat has a censor. "The toilet seat is up? Par-tay!"

I think I will go out and get one of those circulating water bowls, hopefully she will drink from it.

#14 FolsomBarb

FolsomBarb

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:28 AM

My cat uses one of those Drinkwell pet fountains.....she wouldn't touch water sitting in a bowl. I'd read that they like "circulating" water, because it is aerated, vs. "still" water. The other nice thing about the Drinkwell fountain is that they have a filter inside....easily replaceable, and the unit is easily dis-assembled and cleaned, which you need to do every couple of weeks.

I recommend it.
I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that are someone else's fault.

#15 bv1016

bv1016

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:34 PM

My cat will also only drink running water. We noticed the water bowl was always full, and when we would brush our teeth in the morning, there was always a cat in your face trying to lick the water. When we got our 2nd cat, our #1 cat taught him real quick not to bother with the standing water, fresh water comes from the sink. So we have 2 sinks in our bathroom and one of them we keep on sometimes with a little trickle... still have the bowl out... but never touched!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users