• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Andrea V @ Jan 16 2008, 01:18 PM) View Post
I don't know, I do think a boy needs a dog.

I think people need dogs and vice versa... it seems like a temendous lack to me if there isn't one in a home.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#17 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jan 16 2008, 01:41 PM) View Post
Careful with your dogs when backpacking. My dog went with me & friend to Panamint City in 2006 and her paws were really raw by the time we got out... lots of roads made of mine tailings and then snow that packed into ice between her toes. I don't know if she'd tolerate those lil boots they have the rescue dogs wear at ski resorts, but I'd consider using them if she would.

My dogs run around on hard soil and concrete, so their pads are pretty tuff. I've only had them tear a pad a couple of times on nasty terrain. I have bought the little booties and they do work, so I've used them if it's really hot on the ground or the terrain is nasty. When I first put them on her feet in the house, yeah the dog walked around real funny, stepping high like she could get her feet out of them. But out on the trail with a pack on her back, all of a sudden it was like "What booties?" She walked as normal as ever.
I would rather be Backpacking

#18 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:51 PM

Dude, if your on rocks like that they need these.

Ruff Wear Boots

#19 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(chris v @ Jan 16 2008, 01:51 PM) View Post
Dude, if your on rocks like that they need these.

Ruff Wear Boots

Now they come in colors, mine are solid black.
I would rather be Backpacking

#20 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jan 16 2008, 11:22 AM) View Post

I loved that story!!

Thanks for sharing.

#21 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE(supermom @ Jan 16 2008, 02:32 PM) View Post
I loved that story!!

Thanks for sharing.

All the stories in that book are good to read to kids. Some of them have been made into cartoons, esp. the ones about how the elephant got his trunk and the rhinoceros his wrinkles.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#22 traceyl

traceyl

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jan 16 2008, 01:43 PM) View Post
I think people need dogs and vice versa... it seems like a temendous lack to me if there isn't one in a home.

We got our first dog last year. She's a Welsh Corgi and I can't imagine life without her now. She's just amazing and so great with kids and other dogs. I'm so glad she's part of our family.

#23 TawnyK

TawnyK

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ Jan 16 2008, 01:43 PM) View Post

I could not agree more. I will always own a dog. ALWAYS.

#24 hopeanelli

hopeanelli

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing, Motocross, boating and my boys....

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jan 16 2008, 12:41 PM) View Post
heh, we've got 2 dogs 2 cats and 2 kids (maybe I should call myself Noah?)

the kids are well behaved, the dogs too and they're useful for protecting the house and are fun to play fetch with and stuff

the cats, they think they own the place

one cat in particular we call the rooster and kamikaze kitty cause she wakes us up everyone morning at 6am and then darts at light speed in front of us everywhere we walk

crazy cats!

Again we have similar lives Dburr---2 boys, 2 boy cats, 1 big German Shepard and one little Chi that I just got he is a baby..... The cats were indoor in the beginning but had issues with their leaking little winkies on my carpets, remodeled and they now live outside but they are well taken care of they haven't left yet.... I am a dog person the kitties were one of those mistakes I made when both boys said "Promise" mom I will take care of them well here we are 5 years later and I still feed them and make sure the outdoor condo is secure in the winter....

#25 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE(hopeanelli @ Jan 17 2008, 08:21 AM) View Post
Again we have similar lives Dburr---2 boys, 2 boy cats, 1 big German Shepard and one little Chi that I just got he is a baby..... The cats were indoor in the beginning but had issues with their leaking little winkies on my carpets, remodeled and they now live outside but they are well taken care of they haven't left yet.... I am a dog person the kitties were one of those mistakes I made when both boys said "Promise" mom I will take care of them well here we are 5 years later and I still feed them and make sure the outdoor condo is secure in the winter....

heheh are you my long lost sister or somethin? biggrin.gif

one of our cats is 100% indoor, the other is indoor/outdoor (he's our mouser). I too am the dog person, have had one since I was in 1st grade, I love dogs, they're so good to have in a family and heck, they're like having another kid at times and a bunch of fun. My wife is that cat person but they've grown on me over the years, our indoor/outdoor cat is kinda mine and matches my black lab, they're my homies heheh. Pets sure can be fun and fulfilling to have, just gotta be sure to spend a lot of time with them and show 'em some love and not treat 'em like furniture.

and I really like that my lab is so protective, she's better then having a house alarm

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#26 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:01 AM

I have two ancient cats right now and desperately want a dog. I got the cats when I lived in Chicago because I needed some pets and a dog wouldn't have worked. Cats are great in that you can leave for a few days and not worry about them which was great when I traveled quite a bit. I love my cats, but at heart I'm a dog person and have had two of them. My cats think they are dogs, though, so that makes them more enjoyable.

They are 100% indoor cats (I don't like cats being outdoors in cities with lots of cars), come when called (well, the one who's not deaf does), they love being petted and can't get enough attention. They love the kids and put up with what the kids dish out to them. One likes to hop in the shower with you if you let her, weird I know, and will sit in the corner where the water just splashes her. She has a sore on her foot and the vet told me to soak it in this solution for five minutes a day. I was like, "right" but she actually lets me! As long as she's getting some petting, she'll do anything. However, she's deaf and loud and walks around the house at all hours meowing and bellowing at the top of her lungs. AURGH.

Can't get a dog until the cats pass and the vet just said they are the healthiest 18-year old cats he's ever seen. Whenever one dies, I bet the other will quickly follow as they are litter mates and haven't ever been without one another.

#27 dnell

dnell

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:18 AM

As I'm typing this, my sweet kitty kitty is just staring at me from her perch on my computer monitor. She is absolutely begging for my attention. I'm not giving her any right now...but eventually I will give in and cuddle her and then it's like she can't wait to be away from me.

I don't know how old your cat is, but maybe it's a phase that cats go through as they grow up? We got our cat young. For the first year we had her she was constantly by my side. Even if I woke up in the middle of the night sick, I could count on her to get out of her spot on our bed and walk over to the bathroom to nuzzle me and keep me company. She was such a sweet kitty.

Lately though...oh man. She's been being brattier. She's all about "Give me attention for 3 seconds so I can run off somewhere." "MEOW MEOW MEOW" at the door begging to be let out. Tonight she was trying to perch herself up on the molding on our walls. Then she did a suicide jump from our entertainment center to the top of this mirror/cabinet thing we own. Then she was pissy when I tried to take her down. She's just so different lately and I don't know what's up with her. I asked my boyfriend and he said maybe she's being a bratty rebel teenager kitty. She's still a sweet cat but I miss her always being sweet.

(I feel like a crazy cat woman posting this, ha.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users