19 replies to this topic

#1 ambrno33

ambrno33

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:20 AM

Anyone have any experience with the new Folsom Dog Resort? We're looking for a place for our lab to go between 10am and 4pm, M-F...
Any info on cost would be great. I called and left them a message, just looking for reccommendations from anyone who has used their services.
Thanks!

#2 ptejhe

ptejhe

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE (ambrno33 @ Nov 19 2008, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone have any experience with the new Folsom Dog Resort? We're looking for a place for our lab to go between 10am and 4pm, M-F...
Any info on cost would be great. I called and left them a message, just looking for reccommendations from anyone who has used their services.
Thanks!

I love the Folsom Dog Resort!! My dog has stayed there once and Jason, the owner, is fantastic! Their facility is remarkably clean and does not smell like some other kennels I've been to.

The staff there is so nice and very organized! My dog is staying there again later this week while we are out of town! They do an amazing job!

Take it from me...the owner of 4 dogs, and have visited several kennels...Folsom Dog Resort is it!!

#3 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

I wish they posted pricing on their website. My MIL always boards her dog when she comes to visit us and this seems like a great option. I'd love to hear pricing!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

They charge two dollars a day more than petsmart.

Where they get you is offering doggie massages!! For more money.

and outdoor time--which costs more money.

----I was soooo close to taking my dog there--a few months ago---

but hadn't realized my dogs vaccinations had expired a few days before I was supposed to leave town. So I boarded the dog with the vet and had his shots updated.

#5 ambrno33

ambrno33

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:03 PM

When they called me back they said daycare was $25/day. This seems crazy expensive. Who can afford this? I guess for a one time thing it wouldn't be much, but crazy expensive for daily care. I'm not sure what the overnight charge was, because we weren't looking for that.
Edited:
This was suppossed to be 2 separate thoughts...since one poster was looking at boarding a dog.
A good kennel that we reccommend is The Doctors Inn, on Grant Line and Jackson Highway. It was $25/night, for a huge indoor/outdoor kennel.

#6 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (ambrno33 @ Jan 5 2009, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When they called me back they said daycare was $25/day. This seems crazy expensive. Who can afford this? I guess for a one time thing it wouldn't be much, but crazy expensive for daily care. I'm not sure what the overnight charge was, because we weren't looking for that.
A good kennel that we reccommend is The Doctors Inn, on Grant Line and Jackson Highway. It was $25/night, for a huge indoor/outdoor kennel.

I'm curious. How is $25 a night cheaper than $25 a day?

I've used the day care at Folsom Pet Resort twice now and my dog loves it there. I'm not sure why you would need day care every single day on a regular basis. Maybe a dog walker or pet sitter that comes to your home would be cheaper for that kind of need.

#7 ambrno33

ambrno33

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (ducky @ Jan 5 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious. How is $25 a night cheaper than $25 a day?

I've used the day care at Folsom Pet Resort twice now and my dog loves it there. I'm not sure why you would need day care every single day on a regular basis. Maybe a dog walker or pet sitter that comes to your home would be cheaper for that kind of need.

the $25/night includes the entire day and sleepover at The Doctor's Inn, that's why I thought it was more affordable than $25 for an 8-5 type of thing. I mentioned that I didnt know what their overnight prices were, I just imagined they were a bit more than $25 since that was their day rate. I'm sure they're a great place! And I only looked into daily care when I thought we were going to be at work different hours then we currently are...turned out not to need it.

#8 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:32 AM

I'll probably get blasted for this....but does anybody else remember back when people just left their dogs out in the backyard with plenty of food and water while they were away at work for the day? I'm not opposed to anybody putting their dog in "day care", but it seems to be becoming the norm that it's considered almost cruel to leave a dog alone for 8 or 9 hours during the day.

#9 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (Orangetj @ Jan 14 2009, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll probably get blasted for this....but does anybody else remember back when people just left their dogs out in the backyard with plenty of food and water while they were away at work for the day? I'm not opposed to anybody putting their dog in "day care", but it seems to be becoming the norm that it's considered almost cruel to leave a dog alone for 8 or 9 hours during the day.

That'd be me - and when we've gone away for the weekend we've arranged for a neighbor to come over and feed and play with them.

Until I moved to Folsom, I had never even heard of doggy day care / hotels before.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#10 47pilotsteve

47pilotsteve

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:35 AM

My wife takes our dogs to a daycare a couple of days a week. It's more of a socialization opportunity for the dogs. We started taking our first dog, a weimaraner, when we moved back to CA and were both working. He was used to staying all day with my wife and going wherever she went. The daycare made the transition easy for us to both work. I know it sounds a little ridiculous, but our dogs are our kids for a while. Now, we have 2 dogs and they both love going to daycare a couple of days a week.

Other things to consider that are very convenient are the services that some daycares offer. Ours offers vaccinations and the vet comes to the daycare. We don't have to schedule an appointment, just take them in for the day. They even come home with little progress reports about how they played, if they made new friends, etc...

When not in daycare, I really don't know what they do. I think they just sleep all day long. We're very fortunate to have dogs we can leave indoors and not worry about any problems with furniture, holes in the carpet, or any other mischievous acts. I think the worst is that they both like to eat paper, so we've learned to keep a very clean house!

Overall, I think it's worth the price. We only pay $12/ day per dog and the facility is great. It's not in Folsom, but it's by my wife's office so she can easily drop off and pick up the dogs around her work schedule.

#11 Lauren

Lauren

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:24 AM

I'm all about leaving our two dogs outside!! In fact, they LIVE outside. They have food, water... and a yard to run around in. They don't want to be inside.... you know why.. .THEY ARE DOGS.
My mom, however, has used the dog resort in Folsom when they went on vacation and LOVED it!! They said it was great!!!! She did say it was quite expensive though!! But... if it means you're at peace of mind about your animal, than any amount of money is worth it, right??

" You can't make footprints in the sand of time if you're sitting on your butt, and who wants to make buttprints in the sand of time??"

#12 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

Well, here's the thing. Before we moved to Folsom with our postage-stamp size backyard and neighbors practically living on top of us, we left our dogs outside in the backyard during the day. We had a bigger yard, no houses behind us and houses to either side were further apart. Plus, our neighbors were fine with our dogs howling now and again as they chased birds and such. Now, we have a neighbor who works graveyard shift, so it would be VERY rude of us to let our dogs make noise while he's trying to sleep during the day. Also, we have dogs on all sides of us and when they are all in their respective backyards at the same time they decide they need to have a chat (bark) fest. When we are home, at the sound of the first bark or howl our dogs are brought inside and given a time out. When we are away from home, they are in their crate. Even though we both work, hubby and I order our lives around these dogs so they are not in their crate for extended periods of time. This means that if we both work during the day, one of us must stay home with them at night. Also, he goes in later than I do and I get home earlier than he does, so it's not like they are stuck in there for the length of a normal full day's work. Not ideal, but they get tons walks, love, and attention when we are home.

FWIW, we take them to the Wag Hotel a couple times a year when we're going to be gone for more than a day at a non-dog-friendly location. They are cheaper than the Folsom Dog Resort in that two hours of group play time is included in the daily rate (unlike FDR, which is an add-on cost). Also, they discount for a second pet staying in the same kennel. Our dogs are small enough to fit very comfortably in the smallest sized kennel (yes, we love our dogs, but no luxury suite for these guys!). Costco sells Wag gift cards, which get you a $120 gift card for $80. So, even more savings there.

#13 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

Where's the nearest wag hotel?

#14 sagesmum

sagesmum

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:23 AM

Oh, I know! We used to be able to leave a pile of food/water, but our dog is old/nervous, jumps over the fence now and has even nipped in protecting our house during an escape. Im really thinking about doggie downers, have you guys ever used them?? I hear you can purchase at PetSmart. . .

#15 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (supermom @ Jan 20 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where's the nearest wag hotel?

West Sacramento.

www.waghotels.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic