48 replies to this topic

#31 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

the other day on public radio they interviewed geologists who state that the farmers in the central and northern agricultural areas are drawing on deeper wells to compensate for the loss of their average annual allocations (that and reducing the acreage farmed).  They are drilling so deep now (deeper than last year and ever before) that they are now drawing out water that fell as ran 30,000 years ago.  that is like when mastadons roamed this area instead of people.  they said that is water that can not be replenished.  that's pretty serious.

the ground is drier than I have ever seen it, both here and in the mountains.  my fruit trees are all blossoming now and I haven't watered since mid-October. When I watered today, the water actually puddled on the surface, meaning it has baked hard.  not good for feeder roots.  or the wild birds coming in to look for food either.

that said, I am not going to let my trees die.  my lawn, yes.  not my trees.  I am saving my shower water to flush the toilet and I only flush solids.  I wash full loads of clothes only and I have cut back on washing towels to only twice a month and sheets to once a month.  gross, I know.  I will likely wash the sheets twice a month when it starts to warm up and things get dirty faster.  guests get clean sheets and towels though, no matter what.  :)  I am going to water tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant and basil on soaker only.  No green beans, squash or pumpkin this year.  Instead I'm putting drought-tolerant wild flowers in that bed.  If I thought it was going to rain again, I would buy a couple of 600 gallon tanks to store rainwater, but I'll save that for next year.  If scientists are right and we are entering a mega-drought, we are all going to be learning how to deal with less.  and, I agree, how can we possibly start building south of the freeway now?  where is that water going to come from?

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#32 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:00 PM

I read an article that the drought is so bad that California only has a year of water left, yet they continue to build homes and no plans for increased water storage.  Not just Folsom either. Natomas is plannings to build more homes, too.

I feel like such a chump trying to go over and above last year.  

This year, my ever-shrinking lawns will probably look terrible again, but I will water per the set schedule.  I will grow tomatoes and squash or whatever vegetables I will eat.  My trees and mature shrubs will get watered with a drip system.  I will use only the water I need and still report waste in a constructive way - not to shame, but to fix a problem 

Of course, they will continue to tighten the screws until none of the above things are an option.  And for what?  So other people can make a profit and a select few can have great views..

#33 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:33 AM

I am done saving my water for the new homes south of 50. 

I'm starting to think the same. The city council morons pre-sold our water savings so maybe we can return the favor and use as much water as we can to deplete the water savings and foil their plans? I'm all for returning the screw job they've inflicted on us.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#34 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

It would be worth the fines to just go about normal and use as we always did. Sick of this bait and switch BS this council is pulling.

#35 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:04 AM

The three water threads needs to be combined. 

#36 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

Interesting thread..

I don't feel like conserving much either... 

The city did sell us out.. but of course they will say we would have lost it anyway... 

So as someone else said here... my pool is going to be used a lot this summer... I will water my yard and the "lush" front yard grass I have... of course only on the designated days...

I will however ease up on running the water when brushing my teeth... maybe I'll turn off the shower while I'm lathering up... but you know that's about it...

#37 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:56 AM

Isn't the state going to be announcing state-wide water restrictions this week?  Up until now its been by local city or water district control.  If they determine we are in stage 5, they may say no lawn irrigation at all.  if that is the case, I'm going to run drip lines under my trees to keep them alive.

#38 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:46 PM

I thought I saw somewhere that some areas are considering water rationing.  How would that work?  A house only gets X amount of water and when it's gone it's gone? 

#39 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

Well, if anything, I guess I learned from this thread that most of the folks on this forum live in my neighborhood!

#40 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:34 PM

I read an article that the drought is so bad that California only has a year of water left, yet they continue to build homes and no plans for increased water storage.  Not just Folsom either. Natomas is plannings to build more homes, too.

I saw an article in the LA Times and the Daily Mail.

Exactly, and the developers keep building.

#41 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

Well, if anything, I guess I learned from this thread that most of the folks on this forum live in my neighborhood!

You know your neighbors.  I don't.  Your frustration may be very justified, but some things to think about...

How many are in their household?  More people equals more showers, laundry drinking water.

Do they work from home?  All those trips to the loo are done at home and not an office somewhere else.

Do they eat out or cook at home?  Pots of pasta, washing veggies, food prep takes water.  Takeout food, not so much.

Do they entertain, have family visit often?  Again, more laundry, food prep, etc.

Try telling someone who works in a hot kitchen or attics or rooftops that a shower every other day is enough.  

Using water isn't necessarily wasting it.

#42 FolsomEJ

FolsomEJ

All Star

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:13 PM

This concept of waste is pretty interesting.  When you use a gallon of gasoline, it is gone.  When you use a kilowatt of electricity, it is gone.  When you use a gallon of water...well, that's different.

Try making a gallon of water disappear.  It is actually hard work.

Water that flows down our drains is available to be reused again and again downstream.  Yes, there are losses.  I'm not suggesting wholesale waste is ok, but flushing your toilet when it needs it is NOT wasting water.

So, take your showers, folks.

#43 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

You know your neighbors.  I don't.  Your frustration may be very justified, but some things to think about...

How many are in their household?  More people equals more showers, laundry drinking water.

Do they work from home?  All those trips to the loo are done at home and not an office somewhere else.

Do they eat out or cook at home?  Pots of pasta, washing veggies, food prep takes water.  Takeout food, not so much.

Do they entertain, have family visit often?  Again, more laundry, food prep, etc.

Try telling someone who works in a hot kitchen or attics or rooftops that a shower every other day is enough.  

Using water isn't necessarily wasting it.

That is an excellent post. It's too easy to start judging others based on water use.

#44 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:15 AM

Who is to say this DropCounter App is actually accurate???

I seriously question its accuracy based on the numbers it throws out.  IF people were really using as much water on average as it says there would be constant flows of water down the sidewalks in my neighborhood which I do not see.

#45 Howdy

Howdy

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:34 AM

This concept of waste is pretty interesting.  When you use a gallon of gasoline, it is gone.  When you use a kilowatt of electricity, it is gone.  When you use a gallon of water...well, that's different.

Try making a gallon of water disappear.  It is actually hard work.

Water that flows down our drains is available to be reused again and again downstream.  Yes, there are losses.  I'm not suggesting wholesale waste is ok, but flushing your toilet when it needs it is NOT wasting water.

So, take your showers, folks.

Isn't the stat, that a glass of water a person drinks has already been through an average of 6 human beings before it has gotten to them? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Water Conservation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users