213 replies to this topic

#16 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

too bad there is not a way to have the guys who build the bridges help run the government.

they put their brains and effort into something that works....I would vote for a guy who ran on the ticket of being a bridge builder for sure

#17 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (old soldier @ Jan 23 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
too bad there is not a way to have the guys who build the bridges help run the government.

they put their brains and effort into something that works....I would vote for a guy who ran on the ticket of being a bridge builder for sure

interesting you say that, as an engineer, when voting for county supervisors or school board members, and it's people I don't really know much about, I always look at their profession and typically vote for any engineers that are listed. I figure engineers are typically good problem solvers and more prone to think like me.
I would rather be Backpacking

#18 UncleVinny

UncleVinny

"Can't we all just get along?"

• Premium Member
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:03 PM

Recent photo - about 3 weeks ago - of the site.
You can walk along the bike path for a great view
from the north side. Take Folsom Auburn road
to a parking lot just north of Folsom Dam Rd.
Park and walk.

http://www.panoramio.../photo/17273037
"In this world of trouble and strife, bring some peace to someone's life"

#19 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:27 PM

I'm so glad we have a dam bridge again.

Whenever I gave directions to people from out of town, I was always had to explain that I wasn't mad about the bridge.

tgianco: You take the dam bridge.

driver: Whoa! Take it easy. I'm just trying to get from point A to point B.

Long live the damn bridge!
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#20 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 23 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I figure engineers are typically good problem solvers and more prone to think like me.

Completely reasonable and yet utterly politically untenable?
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#21 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Jan 23 2009, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Completely reasonable and yet utterly politically untenable?

When I have nothing else to really go on, it's either vote for nobody or vote for someone I think stands a chance of thinking like I do. I go with trying to get an engineer into office. I'm pretty confident if we had fewer lawyers and more engineers in political office, our country wouldn't be in the mess it's in.

#22 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, and I'll bet the trains would run on time! tongue.gif

#23 Parizienne

Parizienne

My Folsom Honeybee

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:History, gardening, reading, antiquing, road trips, road food, the Blues, classic rock, travel.

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

I believe the mayor of Fontana, in soCali is an engineer. When I left that area, he'd really turned that town into something special. It was known as "Felony Flats" and "Fontucky" before he took office.

Pari.

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 23 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I have nothing else to really go on, it's either vote for nobody or vote for someone I think stands a chance of thinking like I do. I go with trying to get an engineer into office. I'm pretty confident if we had fewer lawyers and more engineers in political office, our country wouldn't be in the mess it's in.

Pari

#24 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:34 AM

now the real question is could a good engineer be a liberal, or another way to look at it would you trust a bridge built by a liberal engineer?

#25 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (old soldier @ Jan 24 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
now the real question is could a good engineer be a liberal, or another way to look at it would you trust a bridge built by a liberal engineer?

For the first half of the question, the most lefty of us actually turn out to be solidly centrist. For the second half, I don't know anyone who lets politics affect their assigned task one way or another, except in taking it on in the first place. A peacenik is rare in a rocket company for example. Politics is something to talk about when the test is delayed or the computers go down.

I'm presently re-reading "Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance" which has a lot to say about this sort of thing.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#26 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Darth Lefty @ Jan 24 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm presently re-reading "Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance" which has a lot to say about this sort of thing.

that's a really great book

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#27 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:59 AM

so anyone care to guess how soon after the opening google maps will have the new routings

today, this route takes 11 mins or more and is 5 miles long, during rush hour it could be more like 20 minutes

#28 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

wouldn't it be great if the google maps called it the johnny cash bridge...I think we need to refer to it by that name and perhaps folks will get the habit and then the the politicial folks other than fiestiy kerri would change the name.

I am surprised that somebody on sutter street doesn't open up a johnny cash memorial store with tapes and other things to see if the tourists start hitting it.....if we have a Mrs Teeze we ought to have a cash store as well.

#29 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (old soldier @ Jan 25 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wouldn't it be great if the google maps called it the johnny cash bridge...I think we need to refer to it by that name and perhaps folks will get the habit and then the the politicial folks other than fiestiy kerri would change the name.

Some of us locals already refer to it by that name, old soldier. Maybe we can make it a way to tell the Folsomites from the tourists. smile.gif

I am surprised that somebody on sutter street doesn't open up a johnny cash memorial store with tapes and other things to see if the tourists start hitting it.....if we have a Mrs Teeze we ought to have a cash store as well.

#30 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (old soldier @ Jan 25 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.....if we have a Mrs Teeze we ought to have a cash store as well.

FYI - I was walking along Sutter Street today, and Ms Teaze looked very empty thru the crack between the curtains. I think they are gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users