25 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:36 PM

Did everyone see the article in yesterday's Bee regarding the estimated budget shortfall for Sacramento?

I recall it being estimated to be almost $29 million.

I'd love to hear from some of the posters here who were so willing to raise sales taxes in Folsom, to build the Downtown Arena and then "allegedly'' have the extra returned back to the communities.

Knowing what you know today, what do some of you think about that proposal now? Also what do you think the chances were Folsom would have ever seen a penny of their tax dollars returned to them?

#2 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:34 AM

Government return money? What kind of insanity is that? wacko.gif

#3 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE(folsombound @ May 24 2007, 06:34 AM) View Post

or....?

Lay off staff... cut some benefits...

never heard of.....

#4 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(folsombound @ May 24 2007, 06:34 AM) View Post

The point I wanted to make to everyone was clearly the politicians in Sacramento and the BOS, had to be aware of these looming deficiets. Yet, they kept promoting returning funds back to communities. Yeah, when pigs Fly!

Please people, don't be so willing to throw away your hard earned dollars to a group of incompetent politicians, who have a history of not being able to get things done.

#5 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:17 AM

Robert.....I believe that sound you hear is only crickets......they ain't a coming to post.

#6 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(MikeinFolsom @ May 24 2007, 12:17 PM) View Post
Robert.....I believe that sound you hear is only crickets......they ain't a coming to post.

Mike....sometimes it just NOT teenage boys climbing trees who need to be warned about dangers!

On another note, how about we all start a pool on predicting how long before the Sac City politicians claim they are out of money to do the levee repairs and need more.

I predict less than 2years.

#7 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:34 PM

What's worse is they focus on other stuff.

Sacramento, California City Council Proposes Anti-Gun Ordinances!

Monday, May 21, 2007

Please Contact the Sacramento City Council Today!

Two ordinances taking aim at our Second Amendment rights are heading to the Sacramento City Council for its consideration and could be voted on any day.

The first would require that the purchaser of ammunition be subject to unnecessary forms, fingerprinting, and a background check for each and every retail purchase.

A second ordinance would dictate that a lost or stolen firearm must be reported to law enforcement within 48-hours of the discovery. The gun-owner must report the make, model, and serial number of the firearm, as well as how the firearm was lost. Failure to do so within the 48-hour timeframe would be grounds for prosecution.

#8 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(Redone @ May 24 2007, 09:34 PM) View Post
What's worse is they focus on other stuff.

Sacramento, California City Council Proposes Anti-Gun Ordinances!

Monday, May 21, 2007

Please Contact the Sacramento City Council Today!

Two ordinances taking aim at our Second Amendment rights are heading to the Sacramento City Council for its consideration and could be voted on any day.

The first would require that the purchaser of ammunition be subject to unnecessary forms, fingerprinting, and a background check for each and every retail purchase.

A second ordinance would dictate that a lost or stolen firearm must be reported to law enforcement within 48-hours of the discovery. The gun-owner must report the make, model, and serial number of the firearm, as well as how the firearm was lost. Failure to do so within the 48-hour timeframe would be grounds for prosecution.

What would prevent the residents of Sacramento from purchasing all of their ammunition outside of Sacramento city avoiding the paperwork and contributing to the further deficiets for the city from loss of sales taxes?

So under the second ordinance, if someone broke into your house and stole a firearm and then robbed a bank with it, without you reporting it, could you get prosecuted for contributing to a crime?

Maybe they can set up undercover teams that go out and break into homes looking for firearms, steal them and then come back 48 hours later slapping the cuffs on the victim for failure to report the theft.

I'm starting to feel a lot more comfortable about Real estate values in Folsom again!

#9 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:03 AM

My 2nd point: With such a budget shortfall can it be policed? NO

#10 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ May 24 2007, 10:42 PM) View Post
Maybe they can set up undercover teams that go out and break into homes looking for firearms, steal them and then come back 48 hours later slapping the cuffs on the victim for failure to report the theft.

"COPS is filmed on location, in your house, while you sleep, with the men and women of law enforcement"
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#11 Duke

Duke

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ May 23 2007, 10:36 PM) View Post
Did everyone see the article in yesterday's Bee regarding the estimated budget shortfall for Sacramento?

I recall it being estimated to be almost $29 million.

I'd love to hear from some of the posters here who were so willing to raise sales taxes in Folsom, to build the Downtown Arena and then "allegedly'' have the extra returned back to the communities.

Knowing what you know today, what do some of you think about that proposal now? Also what do you think the chances were Folsom would have ever seen a penny of their tax dollars returned to them?

It's interesting that this shortfall amount equals the money tossed at Saca's downtown project (10 or 11 million toward hotel/fixtures, and 25 million or so in redevelopment funds.)

...+/- a few million, of course.

#12 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE(Duke @ May 30 2007, 07:40 PM) View Post
It's interesting that this shortfall amount equals the money tossed at Saca's downtown project (10 or 11 million toward hotel/fixtures, and 25 million or so in redevelopment funds.)

...+/- a few million, of course.

Good point!

Maybe this will be the wake up call for some or maybe they will all move to GB!

#13 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ May 24 2007, 01:07 PM) View Post
On another note, how about we all start a pool on predicting how long before the Sac City politicians claim they are out of money to do the levee repairs and need more.

I predict less than 2years.

The levee repairs? Hmm well I thought that most of that money was just funded through a federal bill. In fact I thought I had heard somewhere that the repairs are expected to be completed by 2009.

Maybe I'm off though.

#14 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE(Robert Giacometti @ May 24 2007, 10:42 PM) View Post
What would prevent the residents of Sacramento from purchasing all of their ammunition outside of Sacramento city avoiding the paperwork and contributing to the further deficiets for the city from loss of sales taxes?
.......Just a political gambit to make it more difficult for small businessmen to do business within the sac limits.
So under the second ordinance, if someone broke into your house and stole a firearm and then robbed a bank with it, without you reporting it, could you get prosecuted for contributing to a crime?
..........good. You should know where your gun is and you should be worried that it's missing. Otherwise you are part of the problem. How a bout securing your weapon so that it can't be stolen during a home invasion?

#15 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(supermom @ May 31 2007, 09:03 AM) View Post
The levee repairs? Hmm well I thought that most of that money was just funded through a federal bill. In fact I thought I had heard somewhere that the repairs are expected to be completed by 2009.

Maybe I'm off though.

I don't claim to know where all the funding came from, but the residents just voted to approve a tax on their properties to pay for a percentage of the repairs ( Its to their benefit so they should pay).

Do you really believe they ( the politicians ) won't be coming back asking for more money to complete the job? I'm surprised Mr. Steinberg hasn't tried to get the residents of the surrounding communities to pay for his voters repairs...using federal dollars maybe he already has?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users