#31 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Sep 23 2009, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate hotel taxes, why can't I get a hotel room quoted as to what it really will cost, hotel taxes add 10-12 % on to most of my hotel bills.

By adding a tax onto hotel room rates, generally you are getting visitors from outside the region to pay for the Arena.

Fortunately, you as a traveler have a choice wether to stay at those hotels and pay the tax or stay somewhere else and avoid paying the tax.

This is whY I'm generally in favor of user taxes, because it gives people a choice.

#32 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (SacKen @ Sep 23 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wanted to add that my generalizations about the average person were not directed at you specifically, davburr. I know you are not the typical Elmer's connoisseur. Even if you did partake in a little paste on occasion, I know it would be one of fine quality. tongue.gif

Hey all I did was ask for a detailed explanation (logical reason), I'm sorry I haven't followed this issue and been on top of this issue like you have, that's the reason why I was asking for detailed answers ... I was hoping that one of you who has been following this could take a minute to explain it instead of being snarky.

I promise to stay away from the paste if you promise to stay away from the white board markers biggrin.gif

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#33 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (Robert Giacometti @ Sep 23 2009, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By adding a tax onto hotel room rates, generally you are getting visitors from outside the region to pay for the Arena.

Fortunately, you as a traveler have a choice wether to stay at those hotels and pay the tax or stay somewhere else and avoid paying the tax.

This is whY I'm generally in favor of user taxes, because it gives people a choice.

What do you mean I have a choice? The hotel taxes are everywhere, there is no choice to stay somewhere with out those taxes.
I would rather be Backpacking

#34 old soldier

old soldier

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Robert Giacometti @ Sep 23 2009, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it would be interesting to see just how much money over time an arena would generate for sacramento. My guess would be at a game if you asked forks to raise their hands as to where they live, ie city of sacramento, placer county el dorado county, even olk yolo

you would fine Sacramento way down cause the rich folks who can afford tickets probably live out in the county. unless the arean would generate lots of money it might not be fair to ask the sacramento tax payers to fund the arena

I guess the way to do it would be to tax each ticket for whatever event cause that would cut out where you live

#35 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Sep 23 2009, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you mean I have a choice? The hotel taxes are everywhere, there is no choice to stay somewhere with out those taxes.

Different Citys and Counties apply additional taxes to hotel room rates, so you can choose what City or Countys tax to pay by choosing where to stay.

#36 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

Well if there's one good thing that can come out of this, it seems to be opeing a lot of people's eyes that it's not just about the Kings and the Maloofs anymore...

#37 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (john @ Sep 23 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well if there's one good thing that can come out of this, it seems to be opeing a lot of people's eyes that it's not just about the Kings and the Maloofs anymore...

Many people were opposed to the BOS's sales tax increase primarily because the Kings/Maloofs were going to retain all the revenue from the Arena with that proposal.

I read where Mayor KJ and the developers of the railyards, are still receptive to building a new Arena Downtown. This seems to be the most logical place to build one. All Sac City needs to do is adopt some simple users taxes and designate those funds towards the Arena and then they are on their way.

Its NOT that complicated.

#38 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (Robert Giacometti @ Sep 23 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Different Citys and Counties apply additional taxes to hotel room rates, so you can choose what City or Countys tax to pay by choosing where to stay.

I can't shoose what cities to stay at, I go where my customers are located, I typically find hotels with complimentary shuttle service to whatever airport I fly into. So NO, I don't have a choice to find a hotel without a hotel TAX.
I would rather be Backpacking

#39 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Sep 24 2009, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't shoose what cities to stay at, I go where my customers are located, I typically find hotels with complimentary shuttle service to whatever airport I fly into. So NO, I don't have a choice to find a hotel without a hotel TAX.

Sounds like you are making a choice to stay in hotels with a complimentary shuttle service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users