• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

Ok, I am getting my son a video game system for Christmas. He is a big Minecraft kid.

I've got to admit that I'd like to play, too, but I don't like how many buttons the newer systems have, which is why I like the idea of the Kinect.

I'm, obviously, not a serious gamer, so what would you recommend. I was reading up on Xbox One, and, while it sounded cool, the Blu-ray player won't play DVDs, which sucks. I know the PS3 has Blu-Ray, but does it have Minecraft? Also, I will say that some of the new Microsoft games (like Forza) look pretty darn cool.

So, if you can provide advice (not just personal preferences like "Microsoft sucks!") and why someone might want a particular console, I'd appreciate it.

Happt Thanksgiving!

In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#2 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

I can only offer a few observations, as I am a PC gamer. With the kinect, you will be very limited in the types of games that are available. It's kind of sucky to learn the controllers, but once you get the hang of them, they are great. The best thing is that MOST games use the same controller buttons for the same functions. That makes it pretty easy to switch from game to game. I haven't used the playstation portal for gaming, but the XBOX one is pretty painless. I actually considered getting one after spending some time with my sons (while pc gaming offers the most options and depth of play, there are always hardware issues and buggy software to deal with). I'm not sure how XBOX one changes things from the previous version. Hopefully, they didn't screw it up like Windows 8. This article has some comparisons:

http://www.eonline.c...s-playstation-4

The biggest thing (if it is a gaming system) are which games does it support. Some games are exclusive titles to one or the other, so if you must have a particular game, that could be a decider. Also, the article seemed to imply some backwards compatibility issues, which could be a bummer as places like gamestop provide good used games for a fraction of the painful new prices. I enjoy gaming with my son...just make sure your wife is cool with it, as those will be hours she won't be "feeling the love." :)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#3 MikeinFolsom

MikeinFolsom

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

We have owned a Wii for several years, and it seems the games are definitely geared towards the younger crowd. My son is getting a little older now and we were lucky enough to walk into Target yesterday and snag a Xbox One from "behind the counter". I have heard the backwards compatability issues with the Xbox but supposedly they are going to have some sort of online option for playing the games of yesteryear on the new console??? With the Wii, you have to hold the controller in your hand and perform the movements. Kinect uses just your body movements. There are a ton more games for the Wii and Xbox 360 right now, especially at Gamestop, like it was mentioned before. The Xbox One and the PS4 are the new kids on the block, so expect some bugs to need to be worked out, but they will eventually be the mainstream systems. I'd look for Nintendo to be releasing a new platform sometime in the near future to compete.

The way it was explained to me was if you are purchasing a new system, for all the equipment involved with an Xbox 360 vs an Xbox One, it is quite similar. Xbox 360 are showing up for somewhere in the $200 range. Add the kinect for $125, then another controller for $50 and if you need the hard drive $120. You can get the Xbox One for $500. Add another $60 for the second controller. So for the difference of roughly $100 or so, you get the newest gaming platform. Lots of $$$ up front, but our Wii has served us for many years and lots of fun family nights. Have fun!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users