Photo
- - - - -

Mathnasium....anyone Have Kids Who Use It?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:31 PM

My 5th grader is struggling with math. I don't think he ever really learned a few basic concepts and now he is struggling. We want to get him some help since I can imagine it is only going to get worse from here, esp. since math is one of those subjects that really builds on itself. We were considering Mathnasium and wondered if anyone had any experience with them...

Thanks in advance for any comments!

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:46 PM

My 5th grader is struggling with math. I don't think he ever really learned a few basic concepts and now he is struggling. We want to get him some help since I can imagine it is only going to get worse from here, esp. since math is one of those subjects that really builds on itself. We were considering Mathnasium and wondered if anyone had any experience with them...

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Sorry, I haven't tried mathnasium, so I can't comment on it.

but I'm curious, what are the schools teaching at the 5th grade these days, and what concepts is your child struggling with.
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 glad2Bme

glad2Bme

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

Oh I'm glad you asked!!! I LOVE MATHNASIUM and so does my son!!!! He was doing poorly in 6th grade math, so we decided to check this place out along with Huntington. I went with Mathnasium because you pay one fee per month and have unlimited access to the tutoring. I would have paid the same price at Huntington for just 6 sessions of 1 hour each, yikes!!!

Anyway, he is scoring 100% on all exams now, and even better, his confidence is through the roof. He even helped some class mates the other day because they came to him since he "gets" it. When I told him that he should get through "level 8" which the program director said will prepare him for high school algebra, he said, "Is that the highest level?" I told him that there were more levels and he said he wanted to keep going and get to pre-calculus!!! This is coming from a kid who does well in school, but does not read for fun, take on extra credit projects or participate in "academic" activities like science fairs, spelling bees, etc. He has been going for almost 2 months now and loved it from day one. He even asked me one time if we could go back (that same day) and when I told them they were closed, he said, "It's too early to close, isn't it?" Wow.....my kid begging to go!!! Thank you God and thanks Mathnasium! We started with the month-to-month option, but we just decided to go with the 6 month since my son requested it. I wish we didn't have to pay for what my son should be learning in school, but bottom line, he no longer thinks he stinks at math.

What I like most about the program is that it has filled in the gaps, like fractions, decimals, percents, and now my son's foundation is strong. I could have benefitted greatly from something like this when I was a kid!

Anyway, I could go on and on. Jeff there is great....I'm so glad we're doing this.

#4 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

Wow glad2Bme. That is possibly the greatest endorsement anyone can give. A kid struggling in math to actually enjoying it and helping others.

We were impressed with them from their booths during Folsom run/walk events.

#5 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for the replies!

We are going to try to work with him for the next test but if that does not go well, we're definitely going to try Mathnasium.

We have been working with him throughout his school career but he just does not seem to have a good "number sense"...math clearly does not come naturally to him. I honestly think 3rd grade math really got him--he never got a good handle on those basic math facts (multiplication tables, etc.). It was a pivotal year in many ways, and yet he was the first to go through with a larger class size (they had 33 in his class). His teacher really hurt his confidence overall, and especially in math. :(

He is especially struggling with the word problems. It's like he cannot sort through the problem and determine how to set it up. Between this concern and the general number sense, I think something like Mathnasium is going to be the route we end up taking. It's hard to see him struggle on tests when he is working hard on homework and to prep for exams. Clearly the time we are putting in is not enough. Hopefully a little extra help will help him turn things around before he gets too frustrated.

#6 jedisupermom

jedisupermom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

Oh I'm glad you asked!!! I LOVE MATHNASIUM and so does my son!!!! He was doing poorly in 6th grade math, so we decided to check this place out along with Huntington. I went with Mathnasium because you pay one fee per month and have unlimited access to the tutoring. I would have paid the same price at Huntington for just 6 sessions of 1 hour each, yikes!!!

Anyway, he is scoring 100% on all exams now, and even better, his confidence is through the roof. He even helped some class mates the other day because they came to him since he "gets" it. When I told him that he should get through "level 8" which the program director said will prepare him for high school algebra, he said, "Is that the highest level?" I told him that there were more levels and he said he wanted to keep going and get to pre-calculus!!! This is coming from a kid who does well in school, but does not read for fun, take on extra credit projects or participate in "academic" activities like science fairs, spelling bees, etc. He has been going for almost 2 months now and loved it from day one. He even asked me one time if we could go back (that same day) and when I told them they were closed, he said, "It's too early to close, isn't it?" Wow.....my kid begging to go!!! Thank you God and thanks Mathnasium! We started with the month-to-month option, but we just decided to go with the 6 month since my son requested it. I wish we didn't have to pay for what my son should be learning in school, but bottom line, he no longer thinks he stinks at math.

What I like most about the program is that it has filled in the gaps, like fractions, decimals, percents, and now my son's foundation is strong. I could have benefitted greatly from something like this when I was a kid!

Anyway, I could go on and on. Jeff there is great....I'm so glad we're doing this.

How much is it per month?

#7 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:59 AM

Yes curious on the cost, and what the qualifications are of the tutors?

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#8 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:03 AM

And also I am comparing Mathnasium and The Tutoring Club for middle school math.
Wonder if anyone else has compared.

M.E.G.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users