47 replies to this topic

#1 rohvin

rohvin

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

FCUSD is starting a "Magnet Program" for kids with advanced abilities next academic year (2011-2012) at Ted Judah Elementary. Some of our friends are concerned about the location of Ted Judah and plan to keep their kids in the their currently enrolled Elementary school. Is that a legitimate concern? Would like to hear people's thoughts on Ted Judah in general, the overall environment, student care, etc.

#2 olivia

olivia

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

FCUSD is starting a "Magnet Program" for kids with advanced abilities next academic year (2011-2012) at Ted Judah Elementary. Some of our friends are concerned about the location of Ted Judah and plan to keep their kids in the their currently enrolled Elementary school. Is that a legitimate concern? Would like to hear people's thoughts on Ted Judah in general, the overall environment, student care, etc.

I think T Judah is perfectly fine and perhaps the least of the issues re this program. I would like to understand how in light of major financial issues faced by FCUSD (and most other districts) how this program can be implemented at this time WITH a class limit of 20 (compared to maximum of 34 in other classes thruout the district}.....?

#3 kprincesskate

kprincesskate

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

It is my understanding that class sizes won't be reduced in this program.
The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it.

#4 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:37 PM

First of all the school does not go by the name Ted Judah. People use the formal name or call the school Judah for short.

The magnet school has been established to get kids who are in private school back into the public school system. The schools that provide a GATE program will continue to offer a GATE program that students have to test into to qualify for GATE status. The GATE magnet program accepts children who do not qualify for GATE. If class sizes are indeed smaller don't worry because the inequity will be fixed after all of the rest of the teaching staff will be up in arms for the disparity!

In fifteen years the children I have had join my classroom after attending local private schools have not been any brighter than the students who started in the public school system. ☺

I think T Judah is perfectly fine and perhaps the least of the issues re this program. I would like to understand how in light of major financial issues faced by FCUSD (and most other districts) how this program can be implemented at this time WITH a class limit of 20 (compared to maximum of 34 in other classes thruout the district}.....?

#5 futuremrs4

futuremrs4

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

You can find out all the info about the gateway academy on the fcusd site on edline. My son is enrolled in gateway academy next year at the Mather Heights location. I'm looking forward to next year, and optimistic for a great experience next school year

#6 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:00 AM

First of all who cares about getting kids from private schools back into public? There are too many students in Folsom and most of them about 95% go to public not private. The private schools here have significantly lower API scores.
Obviously, the site was chosen to include minority students b/c they are never chosen for GATE or honors at least at Folsom schools b/c some students do not take the test even if they have the grades. There is a very small percentage of blacks and mexicans in the honors programs at the elementary and middle and high schools in Folsom (less than 1%). Recently, it was reported that students from certain backgrounds are not inc in the honors programs so the magnet school, in this case Judah is trying to bring minority students to the honors level. Basically, they want to take disadvantaged students and educate them into honors students by the time they reach high school. Sounds like a program that is intended to include students who are not usually in these programs in Folsom. All you have to do is look around in the honors classes and there are no mexicans or blacks. Asians and Whites are the majority. There are culutral and economic reasons and perhaps with this program there will be more children that can achieve this status with extra assistance.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#7 jpow5

jpow5

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

We should care, because according to the district's Budget Central, FCUSD is projecting a $1.9m loss in revenue due to declining enrollment. It is my understanding the Gateway Academy (and pre-AP classes at Sutter and potentially the baccalaureate/international baccalaureate program at FHS) was created as a way to draw students back to the district schools to help offset this decline. Judah was chosen as a location because it currently has lower enrollment and more available space to house the program.

#8 the_professor

the_professor

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

First of all who cares about getting kids from private schools back into public? There are too many students in Folsom and most of them about 95% go to public not private. The private schools here have significantly lower API scores.
Obviously, the site was chosen to include minority students b/c they are never chosen for GATE or honors at least at Folsom schools b/c some students do not take the test even if they have the grades. There is a very small percentage of blacks and mexicans in the honors programs at the elementary and middle and high schools in Folsom (less than 1%). Recently, it was reported that students from certain backgrounds are not inc in the honors programs so the magnet school, in this case Judah is trying to bring minority students to the honors level. Basically, they want to take disadvantaged students and educate them into honors students by the time they reach high school. Sounds like a program that is intended to include students who are not usually in these programs in Folsom. All you have to do is look around in the honors classes and there are no mexicans or blacks. Asians and Whites are the majority. There are culutral and economic reasons and perhaps with this program there will be more children that can achieve this status with extra assistance.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

#9 puppylover

puppylover

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

Really, asbestoshills, how can anyone ever take what you say seriously. You have no idea what you are talking about.

#10 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

Actually, Blanche Sprentz has the lowest enrollment. I do know what I'm talking about and you are not losing students to private school enrollments-there numbers are decreasing due to the bad economy. Also, if numbers are so declining why the hoopla over supposedly not enough room for FMS students from Blanche to attend Vista and all of the boundary changes b/c of the over crowding at Gallardo, Oak Chan etc.?
First, there's too many kids and now there's not enough and you give the reason b/c the students are fleeing Folsom schools? C'mon, I just don't believe you and just tell that to the students who try to do school choice and can't get in supposedly due to over-crowding. Also, charter schools are struggling with their enrollment and I doubt if you lose many to them b/c their test scores are lower in almost all instances compared to all of the Folsom schools. Also, many students from Vista are trying to use school choice to take AP classes at FHS b/c there isn't enough being offered and the students may not get the classes they need. I don't know where you are getting these numbers from about major decreasing numbers?
Specifically, what AM I SAYING that isn't true?

On another note, if you think FHS parents are going to allow continuation students on our campus, you are crazy. There will be protests. If these students are too rowdy and incorgible for public school and potentially violent, they will not be on the same campus as my children or my neighbors children. So, I can see how the chips are falling and I don't like it. I never heard of continuation school on the same campus as regular students. Obviously,the school district doesn't care about safety or punishing the bad students who don't deserve a regular school campus. You may want to close the Folsom campus continuation school,but you can send those students to the Rancho Cordova continuation school. In fact, what public schools allow have continuation students on regular campus? Hopefully, not ours.

#11 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

BTW, if there is a decline in students, it's from Rancho, not Folsom. It seems like when there are cuts it always effects Folsom more than Rancho b/c of their Title One status. So, if there are truly major enrollment decreases in Rancho, make them take the hits. And the whole thing about having a GATE program for students who DON'T meet Gate requirements sounds like a program to get certain disadvantaged students enrolled b/c there are virtually no mexicans or blacks in Folsom in these classes-call the Gate office if u want the numbers by ethnicity. There is no reason to call it GATE if anyone can get into it. In fact, the whole premise of GATE is to put the brightest based on STAR scores and grades in a special curriculum. NOW, if you are going to have a GATE magnet program for students who may have the grades but maybe not advanced scores on the STAR tests but you want to help certain students get to that level that's great but you do not need extra space for this program b/c it's just taking the kids from the regular pool supposedly. THE WHOLE REASON THEY WILL TAKE STUDENTS WHO don't qualify for GATE into the program is b/c there would be mostly students from other schools then Judah for the program.

#12 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

Blah.... Seriously?

#13 the_professor

the_professor

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

BTW, if there is a decline in students, it's from Rancho, not Folsom. It seems like when there are cuts it always effects Folsom more than Rancho b/c of their Title One status. So, if there are truly major enrollment decreases in Rancho, make them take the hits. And the whole thing about having a GATE program for students who DON'T meet Gate requirements sounds like a program to get certain disadvantaged students enrolled b/c there are virtually no mexicans or blacks in Folsom in these classes-call the Gate office if u want the numbers by ethnicity. There is no reason to call it GATE if anyone can get into it. In fact, the whole premise of GATE is to put the brightest based on STAR scores and grades in a special curriculum. NOW, if you are going to have a GATE magnet program for students who may have the grades but maybe not advanced scores on the STAR tests but you want to help certain students get to that level that's great but you do not need extra space for this program b/c it's just taking the kids from the regular pool supposedly. THE WHOLE REASON THEY WILL TAKE STUDENTS WHO don't qualify for GATE into the program is b/c there would be mostly students from other schools then Judah for the program.

Your ramblings make little sense.

#14 Homeguy

Homeguy

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:30 PM

Your ramblings make little sense.

Some additional info impacting the very recent push for special programs. My understanding is that the school district has over 2,000 students who reside within the district boundaries but attend schools outside the district. If a student represents $5,000 per year (guess) then that is an annual loss of $10M. They are also anticipating a drop of another 500 students next year (-$2.5M more). Why are we just figuring this out now? Leadership should be looking to the future and not just react when crisis begins to affect the status quo.

#15 JoAnne Reinking

JoAnne Reinking

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

We should care, because according to the district's Budget Central, FCUSD is projecting a $1.9m loss in revenue due to declining enrollment. It is my understanding the Gateway Academy (and pre-AP classes at Sutter and potentially the baccalaureate/international baccalaureate program at FHS) was created as a way to draw students back to the district schools to help offset this decline. Judah was chosen as a location because it currently has lower enrollment and more available space to house the program.

FHS is not being considered for IB. Recommendation is CHS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users