62 replies to this topic

#1 jen

jen

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:15 AM

While listening to discussion of high gas prices one of those many Iron Point lights clicked over very early this morning. I didn't want to slam on brakes and went through. Sadly for me the only other car on the road was one of those police SUVs. How much will this mistake cost me in Folsom? I haven't had any tickets for many years. Sigh!

#2 stacycam

stacycam

blah blah blah

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:18 AM

I got hit with the red light camera about five years ago. The whole thing ended up costing me over $300. I went to traffic school so I wouldn't have it on my record, but I still paid for the ticket, plus an additional $10 (or close) for them to let me go to traffic school.

#3 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

oooooooh Iron Point is BAD for red lights in the AM. Folsom Cops there very often!
<3

#4 Darthvader

Darthvader

...of superior intellect

• Banned
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE(jen @ May 22 2008, 08:15 AM) View Post
While listening to discussion of high gas prices one of those many Iron Point lights clicked over very early this morning. I didn't want to slam on brakes and went through. Sadly for me the only other car on the road was one of those police SUVs. How much will this mistake cost me in Folsom? I haven't had any tickets for many years. Sigh!

Not sure what it costs when nabbed in person but a few signs I've seen for getting caught on red light camera have these really odd dollar amounts like $286 or $341. I'd like to know how they come up with these exact $$ amounts!
...Saying what people are thinking but are afraid to say....

#5 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:30 AM

$341 is cheap. You could've killed someone.

#6 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:36 AM

People, quit running red lights.

Just stop it...
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#7 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:38 AM

Fight all tickets until you run out of opportunities. Remember the ticket is an indicment, not a verdict. Never mind whether you are guilty or feel guilty, it's your right and you should exercise it. Trial by written declaration first, then trial de novo if that doesn't work out. Give the system every opportunity to get sick of you and leave you alone.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#8 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ May 22 2008, 08:38 AM) View Post
Fight all tickets until you run out of opportunities. Remember the ticket is an indicment, not a verdict. Never mind whether you are guilty or feel guilty, it's your right and you should exercise it.

Why? She admitted that she ran a red light, and it sounds like she is ready to accept the consequences. The correct thing to do.

It's pretty easy to not run a red light if you are paying attention and not speeding. I never will understand those drivers who speed up to "make the yellow," but end up running the red. (This is not a criticism of the OP, but just a general observation about drivers.)

#9 Redone

Redone

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ May 22 2008, 12:38 PM) View Post
Fight all tickets until you run out of opportunities. Remember the ticket is an indicment, not a verdict. Never mind whether you are guilty or feel guilty, it's your right and you should exercise it. Trial by written declaration first, then trial de novo if that doesn't work out. Give the system every opportunity to get sick of you and leave you alone.

Why not be an adult and accept responsibility ?

#10 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE(Redone @ May 22 2008, 08:47 AM) View Post
Why not be an adult and accept responsibility ?

x10
<3

#11 jen

jen

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

Yeah, my bad. To save a few cents in gas I now have to pay the equivalent of nearly 100 gallons. And, I am feeling worst about the what if's. What if the one guy at the light was a jack rabbit and jumped into the intersection. I guess I'm lucky.

#12 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE(Darth Lefty @ May 22 2008, 08:38 AM) View Post

Great advice. None of us should do the right thing and take responsibility for our actiions even when we know we are in the wrong. Its always the other guys fault..... These are good values to instill in our children as well. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

#13 forumreader

forumreader

Living Legend

• Registered Members
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:51 AM

I like your attitude, jen.

I bet you wouldn't take home a case of soda/water that another shopper mistakenly left in his cart in the Sams Club parking lot! smile.gif

#14 Warren G

Warren G

Fancy Title goes here

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:55 AM

Jen, good stuff, and thanks for sharing.

I suspect the odd dollar amount is the sum of the fine and various little fees, and possibly the odd amount stands out more in people's minds when they see it, so they recognize and remember it.
"Is that your bike? It sure looks fast."

#15 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:56 AM

Because this is America, you are innocent until proven guilty. And because fighting it is your right, and it's to your advantage. And because running a red light is not actually worth three hundred bucks, and fighting it is free. The ticket and fallout from the ticket is going to cost you at least hundreds and possibly thousands by the time you are done. So fight, fight, fight!

And because you shouldn't lie down and take it in the butt just because the cop made you feel guilty.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users