42 replies to this topic

#1 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:12 AM

My mom and I went the other day to try it out and it was a different experience.

The chips and salsa was good, and my mom's margarita was very strong (no complaints from her though).

I ordered their burrito and got the cheese sauce on it, which I was not fond of. To me it was more like a nacho cheese type of sauce than what I was expecting.

My mom had a beef stew type dish (I can't remember the name), and hers was really good.

We're going to give it a couple of more weeks before we go back.

#2 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:17 AM

Where is it? Was your mom's dish Chili Colorado?

#3 NewOldCokeDave

NewOldCokeDave

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE(swmr545 @ Jul 18 2008, 02:12 AM) View Post
My mom and I went the other day to try it out and it was a different experience.

The chips and salsa was good, and my mom's margarita was very strong (no complaints from her though).

I ordered their burrito and got the cheese sauce on it, which I was not fond of. To me it was more like a nacho cheese type of sauce than what I was expecting.

My mom had a beef stew type dish (I can't remember the name), and hers was really good.

We're going to give it a couple of more weeks before we go back.

Had a similar experience.. While some of the items were good, others were not. In point, the chile relleno itself was excellent, but the CheeseWhiz sauce on it was dissappointing.. My son had a taco, and it was a purchased shell and an ordinary ground beef filling not unlike Taco Bell.. I commented on the CheeseWhiz and teh taco, and our waiter mentioned that they could b order with a red sauce and had shredded meat instead.. They seemed very accommodating, but it would have been nice to known the options up front..

I almost sent it back, but I figured I'd give it a try and see if I liked it.. Didn't..

The rice was boring (Was it a cilantro rice, or supposed to be a "Spanish" rice, wasn't quite clear) and the beans were runny.

The service was excellent, and fast, almost a little "too" fast, but great if you want to get in and out without a fuss. Definitely didn't feel rushed by the staff, and they weren't "in your face" either..

Margarita was strong, but good.

Chips and salsa were really good, but the potato skins were a bit "Ehhh"..

Worth checking out on some levels...

#4 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Jul 18 2008, 09:17 AM) View Post
Where is it? Was your mom's dish Chili Colorado?

By the EDH movie theatre.

I don't know what it was, but it was yummy (I was never big on Mexican food until my ex started to introduce it to me).

#5 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE(NewOldCokeDave @ Jul 18 2008, 08:00 PM) View Post
Had a similar experience.. While some of the items were good, others were not. In point, the chile relleno itself was excellent, but the CheeseWhiz sauce on it was dissappointing.. My son had a taco, and it was a purchased shell and an ordinary ground beef filling not unlike Taco Bell.. I commented on the CheeseWhiz and teh taco, and our waiter mentioned that they could b order with a red sauce and had shredded meat instead.. They seemed very accommodating, but it would have been nice to known the options up front..

I almost sent it back, but I figured I'd give it a try and see if I liked it.. Didn't..

The rice was boring (Was it a cilantro rice, or supposed to be a "Spanish" rice, wasn't quite clear) and the beans were runny.

The service was excellent, and fast, almost a little "too" fast, but great if you want to get in and out without a fuss. Definitely didn't feel rushed by the staff, and they weren't "in your face" either..

Margarita was strong, but good.

Chips and salsa were really good, but the potato skins were a bit "Ehhh"..

Worth checking out on some levels...

Is that what Cheese Whiz tastes like? If so, why do people like it so much?

My mom asked me if I liked Pueblo Chico's burrito better or the one from Maui Taco (I picked the latter).

#6 JLS

JLS

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:31 PM

I had a 50/50 experience. I really had my hopes up so hopefully it was just grand-opening blues since I went there within a couple days of opening.

Service was good but my combo taco/burrito plate for over $15 was pretty much just rice and beans filling the plate so hopefully they are filling them now with beef or whatever...

I'll give it a solid 2nd attempt in a month or so. Its right by my house and my friends work there so I hope the best for it. We'll see...
LearnShootInspire.com
Learn Shoot Inspire on Facebook

#7 fried chicken

fried chicken

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(swmr545 @ Jul 19 2008, 02:28 AM) View Post
By the EDH movie theatre.

I don't know what it was, but it was yummy (I was never big on Mexican food until my ex started to introduce it to me).

i think what your mom had was fideo.

yummy stuff

#8 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(fried chicken @ Jul 20 2008, 08:41 PM) View Post
i think what your mom had was fideo.

yummy stuff

whatever it was, it was good

#9 edhnative

edhnative

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:48 AM

We went there right after it opened, and it was worse than Taco Bell. Salsa looked like it came from Raleys, as did the chips. The salad was gross, and the dressing was bland. DH got the carnitas and said they were the worst he's ever had, they were very plain and lacked flavor. The childrens menu was really expenive and not good either. For the DH, myself and 1 yr old son to eat there, after tip was $42. I won't be going back anytime soon. I can't wait for Rubios!

#10 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:07 AM

Another Terrible Restaurant in Town center. That with the horrendous Maui Tacos in the same location???

Go Rubios !!!!!!!

#11 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

We went to this place late last week. I didn't think it was anywhere close to horrible. It wasn't the best Mexican food we've ever had, but it was FAR better than some of the other places we've been (Sol Azteca and Hacienda come to mind). I'd put it about on par with Q'Bole. I had fajitas and my wife had fish tacos. She enjoyed her fish tacos and was very pleased that they didn't have fried fish in them. My fajitas were perfectly fine. Nothing extraordinary, but right about on par with most Mexican restaurants. Our chips and salsa were good, as were the margaritas. Their menu is lengthy, but it's kind of odd to see some of the more "standard" dishes not included, such as Chili Colorado. Also, they do tend to show ground beef as a meat alternative in several dishes but not shredded beef, carne asada, etc..

#12 swmr545

swmr545

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE(palango @ Jul 27 2008, 02:07 AM) View Post
Another Terrible Restaurant in Town center. That with the horrendous Maui Tacos in the same location???

Go Rubios !!!!!!!

What's a good dish to have at Rubios? I went once and was disappointed.

#13 edhnative

edhnative

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(swmr545 @ Aug 3 2008, 02:35 AM) View Post

You must try the "fish taco espcial" with corn tortillas. YUMM!!

#14 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE(swmr545 @ Aug 3 2008, 02:35 AM) View Post

Chicken Burrito Especial. Alsdo, their Salsa bar is really good.

#15 Good2bme

Good2bme

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:47 PM

Ugh.Rubios is alright, but it's really a totally different thing than a sit down restaurant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users