12 replies to this topic

#1 FrankExchange

FrankExchange

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:24 AM

I've seen several cars using Morningside Drive as a shortcut to access Silberhorn.

Why would one not continue on Golf Links where you can (and people do) drive upward of 55mph, instead of driving 35-40mph down a residential side street with children playing?

Before I (sort of) made an issue of it - I wanted to be certain, so I made several observations.

Cheers,
Ad Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

#2 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(FrankExchange @ Oct 30 2008, 12:24 PM) View Post
I've seen several cars using Morningside Drive as a shortcut to access Silberhorn.

Why would one not continue on Golf Links where you can (and people do) drive upward of 55mph, instead of driving 35-40mph down a residential side street with children playing?

Before I (sort of) made an issue of it - I wanted to be certain, so I made several observations.

Cheers,

Can I offend?

Who's driving that fast? Because you say with children playing, that tells me it is late enough in the day that you aren't talking about morning commuters.

You say you made several observations.
What do the driver's look like? Soccer Moms? Teenagers? 10 year olds going for a joyride?
time of day for your observations could also be useful data
I would rather be Backpacking

#3 FrankExchange

FrankExchange

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Oct 30 2008, 12:31 PM) View Post
Can I offend?

Who's driving that fast? Because you say with children playing, that tells me it is late enough in the day that you aren't talking about morning commuters.

You say you made several observations.
What do the driver's look like? Soccer Moms? Teenagers? 10 year olds going for a joyride?
time of day for your observations could also be useful data

Hi Bill,

Looks to me like a mixture of commuters and (I hate to stereotype) soccer moms.

Look, I'm not saying bad people are doing bad things and casting aspersions - I'm wondering more about the rationale. One could get to Silberhorn quicker staying on Golf Links than cutting through Morningside
Ad Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

#4 fromhnl

fromhnl

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(FrankExchange @ Oct 30 2008, 11:50 AM) View Post

- I'm wondering more about the rationale. One could get to Silberhorn quicker staying on Golf Links than cutting through Morningside

I agree there is a large influx of morning commuters, college aged student drivers zooming
down Morningside as if it was a direct shot to Broadstone Parkway. Actually is a very busy
street for a small neighborhood of 90 homes with a stop sign at each entrance. Of course
many of the residents that live on Morningside Drive have been seen driving faster than
the said 35-40 mph so can't point fingers at the outsiders. That intersection from Silberhorn
leading to Morningside Drive is a disaster in the making with the crowds of cars parked on
the street at times, commercial vehicles who park regularly who appear lost and neighborhood toddlers who play near the stop sign Drivers entering and exiting from Morningside and to and from Silberhorn treat the fairly recently installed stop signs as yield signs at best. There is no logical reason to use Morningside Drive residential street as a short cut. The speed limit on
Golf Links is 40 mph tops and people drive it like a freeway. Knuckleheads.

#5 fromhnl

fromhnl

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(fromhnl @ Oct 30 2008, 12:07 PM) View Post
I agree there is a large influx of morning commuters, college aged student drivers zooming
down Morningside as if it was a direct shot to Broadstone Parkway. Actually is a very busy
street for a small neighborhood of 90 homes with a stop sign at each entrance. Of course
many of the residents that live on Morningside Drive have been seen driving faster than
the said 35-40 mph so can't point fingers at the outsiders. That intersection from Silberhorn
leading to Morningside Drive is a disaster in the making with the crowds of cars parked on
the street at times, commercial vehicles who park regularly who appear lost and neighborhood toddlers who play near the stop sign Drivers entering and exiting from Morningside and to and from Silberhorn treat the fairly recently installed stop signs as yield signs at best. There is no logical reason to use Morningside Drive residential street as a short cut. The speed limit on
Golf Links is 40 mph tops and people drive it like a freeway. Knuckleheads.

BtW, this is in the Empire Ranch neighborhood bordering Lexington Hills where Silberhorn,
Morningside Drive intersect at Golf Links.

#6 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:18 PM

You could do "speed bump tables" like in Citrus Heights...

...or...

AT Mine
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#7 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE(FrankExchange @ Oct 30 2008, 12:50 PM) View Post
Hi Bill,

Look, I'm not saying bad people are doing bad things and casting aspersions - I'm wondering more about the rationale. One could get to Silberhorn quicker staying on Golf Links than cutting through Morningside

I went and looked at the Map.

Are you saying people are headed north on Golf Links and are turning onto Morningside, to continue North and then go left onto Silberhorn?

That doesn't make much sense (as you had said) unless the left hand turn lane up the road from Golf Links to Silberhorn gets backed up and the turn onto Morningside is quicker and easier. I havn't been over there in awhile, but I find it hard to think there is that much traffic going south on Golf Links to even make the left hand turn lane going north to turn west onto Silberhorn would even get backed up.
I would rather be Backpacking

#8 FrankExchange

FrankExchange

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Oct 30 2008, 01:24 PM) View Post
I went and looked at the Map.

Are you saying people are headed north on Golf Links and are turning onto Morningside, to continue North and then go left onto Silberhorn?

That doesn't make much sense (as you had said) unless the left hand turn lane up the road from Golf Links to Silberhorn gets backed up and the turn onto Morningside is quicker and easier. I havn't been over there in awhile, but I find it hard to think there is that much traffic going south on Golf Links to even make the left hand turn lane going north to turn west onto Silberhorn would even get backed up.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Instead of staying on Golf Links and turning left at the bottom of the hill onto Silberhorn - they're using Morningside as a bypass.

I drive 20 - 25 on Morningside and anyone that gets behind me will be frustrated.

Not that I don't sort of zoom around elsewhere, (check an ealrier post I made regarding drivers taking the racing line and intruding in bike lanes) I don't do it on side street neighborhoods.
Ad Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

#9 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE(FrankExchange @ Oct 30 2008, 02:33 PM) View Post
That's exactly what I'm saying.

Instead of staying on Golf Links and turning left at the bottom of the hill onto Silberhorn - they're using Morningside as a bypass.

I drive 20 - 25 on Morningside and anyone that gets behind me will be frustrated.

Not that I don't sort of zoom around elsewhere, (check an ealrier post I made regarding drivers taking the racing line and intruding in bike lanes) I don't do it on side street neighborhoods.

I am not familiar with that area, but I will say that I LOVE taking "long-cuts" through neighborhoods. It's just more interesting. Of course, I drive slowly at or below the speed limit when I do that.

#10 fromhnl

fromhnl

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

[quote name='Bill Z' date='Oct 30 2008, 12:24 PM' post='283009']
I
That doesn't make much sense (as you had said) unless the left hand turn lane up the road from Golf Links to Silberhorn gets backed up and the turn onto Morningside is quicker and easier.

Agreed that it doesn't make sense and it isn't easier to cut through Morningside ever. A left
turn into the neighborhood street Morningside Court brings you to a stop sign and then as you continue through the neighborhood on Morningside Drive, you arrive at another stop sign
at the end of Morningside Drive. It is definitely much faster and convenient to continue on Golf Links and turn directly onto Silberhorn and bypass Morningside Court or Drive completely...BUT as the post originated, drivers are taking a very long and delayed "u]short cut[/u]"through the neighborhood on Morningside Drive. wacko.gif
Speed bumps would handle the problem, but tack strips would be more fun and entertaining for residents living on Morningside. laugh.gif

#11 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(fromhnl @ Oct 30 2008, 04:46 PM) View Post
Speed bumps would handle the problem, but tack strips would be more fun and entertaining for residents living on Morningside. laugh.gif

AHH, yes!!....I knew I had a twin out there somewhere.... tongue.gif
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#12 FirstKnight

FirstKnight

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Interests? My interests are my children, my beautiful wife and living each day as if it was my last.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

ugh. sounds like we are going to get more speed bumps... I hate speed bumps. Not because i drive fast but because my car needs shocks and i am unwilling to spend the money on it. I litterally stop on them to avoid the accidental scrape. Safe then sorry but, the people behind me get sorry because they have to stop.

#13 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(FirstKnight @ Nov 1 2008, 01:10 PM) View Post
ugh. sounds like we are going to get more speed bumps... I hate speed bumps. Not because i drive fast but because my car needs shocks and i am unwilling to spend the money on it. I litterally stop on them to avoid the accidental scrape. Safe then sorry but, the people behind me get sorry because they have to stop.

Sounds like speed bumps work as advertised rolleyes.gif
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users