Photo
- - - - -

Starting A Pet & House Sitting Business?

advice house sitting pets

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WolfMom

WolfMom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with the family. :-)

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

Howdy gang,

I have been pet sitting (even chicken sitting!) and house sitting for friends and I want to look into doing it as a small business. I do not know much and not sure where to start to find out what I need to do to do something like this in Folsom. I know I want to get insured and bonded. Does anyone have any advice or resources they could point me to?

Many thanks!

Dawn Grove

#2 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:09 AM

Good idea. I would start with checking out some of the following. You might get some good ideas.

From Askjeeves.com

http://www.ask.com/w...k&o=10181&l=dir

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#3 New Girl

New Girl

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

If you are looking to start a small business in Folsom I would check out the chamber.  They have a small business forum the name of which escapes me at present.  I think they meet around midday on the 2nd Wednesday of the month.  You can go the first couple without being a member to check it out.  They used to have informative speakers on different topics related to business and you got to meet other small business owners who are happy to share their knowledge with you.  It is not a place to pick up business necessarily (unless you market to businesses which you would not) but you will pick up advice and support.

#4 nomad

nomad

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

I'd say keep it off the grid. The way the city recently tried to screw all the home day cares was a nightmare for a friend.

And then after you get established and taxed and permitted to death there won't be anything left for you afterwards.

#5 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hi WolfMom,

Maybe try contacting Chris Wagner with Waggy's Pet Sitting here in Folsom. Back when we moved here almost 10 years ago she was doing pet sitting in her home. This was the info we received at the time:

Thank you for contacting Waggys. I only do boarding in my home I dont do overnights in your home. If you would like to board with us the fee is $40 for the first dog and $30 for the second for a 24 hour period. I give a 10% discount for your first service. As for Doggie Day Care: I can do it if I dont have a lot of boarders. I only like to take 4 dogs at a time. If you want once in a while day care, we can probably work out something. I charge $25 per dog a day for day care.

Youre welcome to come and have a free consultation to see if this is the place for you [and your dogs]. You can call me at 916-220-0134 anytime.

Chris@waggyspetsitting.com

We didn't end up going with this service, but I'm thinking she might be a good resource for you to find out about licensing, bonding, etc., etc.

#6 leenda

leenda

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:15 PM

Dawn:  Check out the City of Folsom's website (starting a business).  There's a whole page(s) of info to set you in the right direction.  See you in class on Thursday.  Linda

Edit: I meant Wednesday (tomorrow).  Ooops.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: advice, house sitting, pets

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users