11 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:34 AM

My yard has a "mini palm tree". Its about 4 feet high and about 4 feet in diameter now. I need it to either be about 2 feet in diameter or I need to remove it. I've never trimed a palm before. Does anyone know if/how to trim it? Can I just remove leaves or can I cut the leaves in 1/2?

#2 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(Robert Gary @ Jun 24 2008, 11:34 AM) View Post
My yard has a "mini palm tree". Its about 4 feet high and about 4 feet in diameter now. I need it to either be about 2 feet in diameter or I need to remove it. I've never trimed a palm before. Does anyone know if/how to trim it? Can I just remove leaves or can I cut the leaves in 1/2?

Any Idea what type of Palm it is ? Have a picture or can you describe it ?

Most palms you can cut the lower outer branches and leaves- cut then at the trunk. Now branshes and leaves will normally grow up from the center of the plant.

How long did it take to grow to the 4ft x 4ft ?

Cheers
Ken

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#3 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Jun 24 2008, 12:06 PM) View Post
Any Idea what type of Palm it is ? Have a picture or can you describe it ?

Most palms you can cut the lower outer branches and leaves- cut then at the trunk. Now branshes and leaves will normally grow up from the center of the plant.

How long did it take to grow to the 4ft x 4ft ?

Cheers
Ken

I took a picture but its too big to upload here. I don't know how long its been growing because this is a house I just bought. All the branches are very green. I'm used to seeing the lower leaves on palms brown. Can I just trim off the green branches on the bottom?

-Robert

#4 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(Robert Gary @ Jun 24 2008, 03:45 PM) View Post
I took a picture but its too big to upload here. I don't know how long its been growing because this is a house I just bought. All the branches are very green. I'm used to seeing the lower leaves on palms brown. Can I just trim off the green branches on the bottom?

-Robert

Yes you can - we have 7 varieties of palms and all can be trimmed from the bottom up ..

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#5 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Jun 24 2008, 03:47 PM) View Post
Yes you can - we have 7 varieties of palms and all can be trimmed from the bottom up ..

Cheers
F500

Let me try to upload a picture again. I tried to compress this picture to fit so I hope its ok...

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.jpg   122.8K   26 downloads

#6 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:16 PM

Q:How Do You Trim A Mini Palm Tree?

A: With MINI SCISSORS!

PS yes, I think I am funny! tongue.gif
<3

#7 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE(Robert Gary @ Jun 24 2008, 03:53 PM) View Post
Let me try to upload a picture again. I tried to compress this picture to fit so I hope its ok...

I see what your problem is. You can trim all the lower fronds back to the base of the plant. Then thin out the fronds on the top and trim back as you want to give it a more compact shape and size. They're hard to kill, so have at it. Be careful handling the fronds though, the edges can be sharp as razors.

#8 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(Terry @ Jun 24 2008, 07:07 PM) View Post
I see what your problem is. You can trim all the lower fronds back to the base of the plant. Then thin out the fronds on the top and trim back as you want to give it a more compact shape and size. They're hard to kill, so have at it. Be careful handling the fronds though, the edges can be sharp as razors.

Thanks! Looking at it again I think I'll name her Audrey (from Little Shop of Horors). I just hope it doesn't eat me.

-Robert

#9 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE(Robert Gary @ Jun 24 2008, 08:30 PM) View Post
Thanks! Looking at it again I think I'll name her Audrey (from Little Shop of Horors). I just hope it doesn't eat me.

-Robert

feed me Seymour!!
<3

#10 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE(Andrea V @ Jun 24 2008, 05:16 PM) View Post
Q:How Do You Trim A Mini Palm Tree?

A: With MINI SCISSORS!

PS yes, I think I am funny! tongue.gif

I thought it was funny.

#11 October15

October15

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE(Robert Gary @ Jun 24 2008, 11:34 AM) View Post

Trimming the fronds isn't an issue, but it's not like a bush where you can cut it in half and it will branch out in other places. Be careful! I believe that the life of the palm is in the center top (basal meristem? It's been a long time since Botony class)...so...as others have said...okay to trim some branches but DON'T TOP IT!

Good luck.

#12 Robert Gary

Robert Gary

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE(October15 @ Jun 25 2008, 08:05 AM) View Post
Trimming the fronds isn't an issue, but it's not like a bush where you can cut it in half and it will branch out in other places. Be careful! I believe that the life of the palm is in the center top (basal meristem? It's been a long time since Botony class)...so...as others have said...okay to trim some branches but DON'T TOP IT!

Good luck.

Thanks. I think what I'll do is pull all the leaves at the bottom, thin the leaves at the top, and shorten the remaining leaves at the top. I'll leave the center alone.

-Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users