#16 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:13 PM

firemedic,

I too get frustrated with the HOA on occassion, they are indeed VERY strict in the Parkway. I've got several of the "tickets" on my cars or my guests as well.

However, overall, for those of us who like to live within an HOA environment, I think in general they do a good job. The lawns are always well maintained and I've never seen anyone do anything "wacky" with their house in terms of paint, landscaping, etc.

The parking on the streets thing is mildly annoying, but I'll take that over living in a neighborhood with cars packing the streets constantly.

#17 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:16 PM

Speaking as an HOA board member, it's a thankless job. You have "old-time" residents who are militant, renters who don't even know the rules, and everything in between. We're volunteers charged with running a corporation, not to be arbitrators in neighbor to neighbor disputes nor "landlords" responsible for "x" in the middle of the night.

HOAs, while not perfect, do provide a mechanism for neighborhoods to look "just so." Look at some of the older parts of Folsom and you'll see what I mean. I'm not saying they're slums (far from it) but pick an established middle-class street (Briarcliff, School, etc.). Seven out of ten homes look pretty good. HOAs give you a mechanism for dealing with those remaining three, helping property values for all.

There is the danger of HOA boards playing favorites or becoming too militant. I'd like to think ours does a good job given the number of things for which we're responsible.

Just another POV... smile.gif

#18 billsfan

billsfan

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:30 AM

What I don't get firemedic is why you choose to live in the Parkway? Since you agreed and signed to the HOA rules, you are obligated to live by them or pay the fines as agreed upon in the contract that you signed. This is a concience choice and I think a minimal amount of research would have let you now that our HOA is good about enforcing the bylaws. Any leniency on these rules just makes enforcement hard if they are not consistent. HOA's are what they are and some people like them or not. This has been my first time living in a HOA, and I am very satisfied for various reasons to have our safe & well-maintained community...

#19 anonymous

anonymous

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:16 AM

"I'm not saying they're slums (far from it) but pick an established middle-class street (Briarcliff, School, etc.)."

You've got to be kidding me!?!!?! This is as close to the ghetto as Folsom gets. 9 out of 10 residents in this area are renters. Of course they don't give a rat's arse about what the place looks like. The owners could care less either. They're just sitting on the property waiting for the next sucker to come in and buy it for more than they did. That said, some of the newer communities will probably look very similar in another few decades, homeowners association or not.
The 'anonymous' poster has been disabled due to abuse of the account.

#20 folsom1013

folsom1013

Netizen

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:49 PM

Firemedic- I think you are correct about the 72 hours, but incorrect about the streets. I think you live on a private street and just don't know it.

#21 firemedic238

firemedic238

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:25 PM

Please don't get me wrong for the most part I like the HOA.
When I moved in I was told that the street were public and maintained by the city. The parkway ownes the greenbelts. It's was my understanding that there was talk about putting up gates at the entry of the Parkway. The deal died when when the city told them that they(parkway) would have to buy and maintain the streets. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

#22 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(firemedic238 @ Nov 17 2005, 04:25 PM)
It's was my understanding that there was talk about putting up gates at the entry of the Parkway. The deal died when when the city told them that they(parkway) would have to buy and maintain the streets. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

View Post

I wonder how much a street costs? Maybe I could get together with my neighbors, buy our street and put gates up on it! That would go a long way toward reducing the number of speeding cars on the street! biggrin.gif

#23 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE(folsom1013 @ Nov 17 2005, 01:49 PM)
Firemedic- I think you are correct about the 72 hours, but incorrect about the streets.  I think you live on a private street and just don't know it.

View Post

Parkway HOA has CC&Rs which do not allow overnight parking on the streets, even though they're public streets. CC&Rs can provide for this requirement as the City Planning department reviews the CC&Rs and approves them when they approve the development plans. So, when HOAs require no parking on the public streets in the area, they have City approval to enforce those parking requirements. The Parkway is a beautiful example of an effective (though strict) HOA. While some may not like it, I would say the majority do, and can thank the HOA strictness for their high property values.

#24 DavidH

DavidH

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(anonymous @ Nov 17 2005, 12:16 PM)
"I'm not saying they're slums (far from it) but pick an established middle-class street (Briarcliff, School, etc.)."

You've got to be kidding me!?!!?!  This is as close to the ghetto as Folsom gets.  9 out of 10 residents in this area are renters.  Of course they don't give a rat's arse about what the place looks like.  The owners could care less either.  They're just sitting on the property waiting for the next sucker to come in and buy it for more than they did.  That said, some of the newer communities will probably look very similar in another few decades, homeowners association or not.

View Post

I think your 9 out of 10 figure is a bit high and "ghetto" might be a tad strong. I also wouldn't go as far to say that renters don't give a rat's backside. I rented for several years and took pride in its appearance and upkeep.

#25 headshrink

headshrink

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:48 PM

Here is a great site I found about 2yrs ago. Every home owner should be aware of this resource.

http://www.ahrc.com/...ex.php/src/home

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)