#16 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Jan 12 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's all about the greed - its unbelievable how much empty retails spaces there are in town because of the over priced high rents these developers/owners are demanding

until they face reality and lower the rents to something more reasonable.. those buildings will remain empty for years to come

not to get too far off the original post, but anyone who built commercial in the last five years probably has a construction debt that won't allow them to take too low of a rent. They built their loans around expecting a certain rate of return on their square-footage. If they can't get the minimum, they will probably lose the property. Once the property has gone into foreclosure, then they will be picked up (hopefully) are a fair market value and the rents should be lower. But many people will be hurt in the process. I wonder how all those great REITs are doing now.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#17 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Jan 12 2009, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wanted to give this place a try. So last Friday, I called in a "to go" order. Needless to say, that this restaurant is severely overpriced. I spent $30 and the portion size was more like Kids size and NOT Sultan "King" size as the menu claimed. I looked at the rest of the menu and pretty much every thing was ridicoulously over priced. Beautiful design and decor of the place. Rent must cost a fortune, so they have to jack up their prices.
I have been to many Afghan restaurants in LA and bay area and I honestly have to say that this one BY FAR is one of the most expensive. Also, they use cheap ingredients. The rice was no better than the cheap spanish rice.
Bottom line: If you are into Ambiance, Decor, wine list and the rich El Dorado Hills prices, this is best fit for you, BUT if you want to get your $$ wort, this is a ripoff!!!

Of course, yelp.com deleted this very same post and deleted my account for "violating their TOS"... WTF....They do not like criticism BECAUSE they cater/sell their info to these very same restaurants. Thus, the advice on Yelp is not neccessarily objective.

#18 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:05 PM

I saw an article a few days ago that said that Yelp was calling restaurants asking for money for ads and other stuff, and suggesting that they'd limit bad reviews of the restaurants in return.

So, in other words...less than objective.

#19 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (bunny @ Feb 27 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw an article a few days ago that said that Yelp was calling restaurants asking for money for ads and other stuff, and suggesting that they'd limit bad reviews of the restaurants in return.

So, in other words...less than objective.

Thank you for that. Now it makes crystal clear sense. I just hate it when organization disguise themselves as objective and consumer advocates. I hope that they (Yelp) goes down and out of business for their shady business practices.

#20 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

http://www.eastbayex...tent?oid=927491

Seems like they have quite a system. Promote bad reviews to the top of the list, call the business owner and have them look and see the bad ones right up front, ask for $300-350 a month for advertising to remove or demote the bad reviews, and in some cases even suggest that good reviews might go away if theres no payola.

There are some other sources that say this doesnt really happen, but enough restaurant people quoted to make me think its got some merit.

#21 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

I caught Urban Spoon removing good reviews and votes, aswell.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#22 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

I went to Bamiyan for lunch today with some friends and we would all go back again. The food was very good, the service outstanding, and the decor very nice. Yes, the food is on the expensive side, but I don't mind paying a little more for an enjoyable and different kind of dining experience.

Oh, by the way. Bamiyan regularly advertises/sells coupons on www.Restaurant.com. I'm on their email list, so they send promos/coupon codes for specials as well. A $25 coupon good for purchase of $50 or more was being sold for $10, but I had a promotion code to get it for $3 -- so I spent $3 and got $25 off the meal.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#23 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (Resume Lady @ May 15 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went to Bamiyan for lunch today with some friends and we would all go back again. The food was very good, the service outstanding, and the decor very nice. Yes, the food is on the expensive side, but I don't mind paying a little more for an enjoyable and different kind of dining experience.

Oh, by the way. Bamiyan regularly advertises/sells coupons on www.Restaurant.com. I'm on their email list, so they send promos/coupon codes for specials as well. A $25 coupon good for purchase of $50 or more was being sold for $10, but I had a promotion code to get it for $3 -- so I spent $3 and got $25 off the meal.

I am glad you had a great experience there. Everyone is entitled to their opnion and I respect yours. But here is my take on this:

Imagine having good old American Apple Pie in paris being marketed as "American Apple Pie" yet the ingridients are cheap, the taste is sub par and not even close to authentic, and the price is outrageous. As an Afghan American, I am appauled at the price vs portion size and the cheap quality ingridients and the ridiculous portion sizes. If you believe that this was good, you have not had the real good. There are some great Afghan restaurants in the Bay Area.

I have been to BOTH Bamyian locations (Greenback and EDH) and they have both dissapointed me and the other Afghans I know.

#24 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (palango @ May 18 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am glad you had a great experience there. Everyone is entitled to their opnion and I respect yours. But here is my take on this:

Imagine having good old American Apple Pie in paris being marketed as "American Apple Pie" yet the ingridients are cheap, the taste is sub par and not even close to authentic, and the price is outrageous. As an Afghan American, I am appauled at the price vs portion size and the cheap quality ingridients and the ridiculous portion sizes. If you believe that this was good, you have not had the real good. There are some great Afghan restaurants in the Bay Area.

I have been to BOTH Bamyian locations (Greenback and EDH) and they have both dissapointed me and the other Afghans I know.

I'd never been to an Afghan restaurant before this, so it's true -- I have nothing to which I can compare it. I trust your judgment that it isn't authentic. I wish there was another closer than the Bay Area so I could try something more authentic.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#25 Lisa in Folsom

Lisa in Folsom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

The owners of the Afghan restaurant that used to be with Cheezers a couple of years ago have a location downtown at 9th and J. Same name - Kabul Kabob.

#26 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (Lisa in Folsom @ May 18 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The owners of the Afghan restaurant that used to be with Cheezers a couple of years ago have a location downtown at 9th and J. Same name - Kabul Kabob.

He sold that 2 years ago on 9th and J. Its still called Kabul Kabob Cusine, but the buffett is not that great at all under the new ownership.

#27 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (Resume Lady @ May 18 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd never been to an Afghan restaurant before this, so it's true -- I have nothing to which I can compare it. I trust your judgment that it isn't authentic. I wish there was another closer than the Bay Area so I could try something more authentic.

hey if it works for you, that is great. I love Chipotle and Rubios, but others here absolutely hate it. When it comes to food/restaurant choices and pallates, its very rare to find some type of agreement. I, too, wish there was a real authentic Afghan place in Sacramento area.

#28 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (palango @ May 18 2009, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey if it works for you, that is great. I love Chipotle and Rubios, but others here absolutely hate it. When it comes to food/restaurant choices and pallates, its very rare to find some type of agreement. I, too, wish there was a real authentic Afghan place in Sacramento area.

You cook, don't you? ohmy.gif wink.gif (Still me... new user name.)
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#29 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (Deb B @ May 18 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You cook, don't you? ohmy.gif wink.gif (Still me... new user name.)

I am too lazy too cook. My wife wishes I cooked something else besides spaghetti, Bean Burrito, and fajitas. See, Afghan food takes like 4-6 hours to prepare, 20-30 minutes to eat and then 2 hours to clean up (unless you have leftovers which you can nuke in the microwave).

#30 a little bean

a little bean

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:11 PM

I've never had Afghan food either, and don't know what makes great Afghan food. Would you mind describing some of the common dishes/ingredients (I'd like to try it and it's always good to have a little knowledge when trying something new!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users