ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (folsombound @ Jan 9 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope wellwishing was joking. I'd hate to think anyone really believed that.

Regardless, whatever stimulus Obama has planned to build the middle class and create jobs is all targetted for public infrastructure and new industry innovations and manufacturing, so I'm not sure a mall qualifies (unless "Whole Foods" has a clean energy department we didn't know about - maybe over by where they keep the tofu).

Back on topic (sorta) though, it's funny that these outdoor "Lifestyle Centers" are all the trend now instead of malls - I guess the old Town & Country Centers from the 60's were way ahead of their time smile.gif
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#32 Thunder

Thunder

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

I think the anger is because he ran such a good campaign. He truly is perfect and I think that will translate to his next 8 years in office. In a few short months things should be back to normal with low unemployement, low prices of gas, and better real estate sales. Confidence usually can cure an ailing economy and Obama has confidence . His landslide election demonstrated that. Give him a chance to shine. Change is on the way soon.

#33 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (ngilbert @ Jan 9 2009, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regardless, whatever stimulus Obama has planned to build the middle class and create jobs is all targetted for public infrastructure and new industry innovations and manufacturing, so I'm not sure a mall qualifies (unless "Whole Foods" has a clean energy department we didn't know about - maybe over by where they keep the tofu).

Back on topic (sorta) though, it's funny that these outdoor "Lifestyle Centers" are all the trend now instead of malls - I guess the old Town & Country Centers from the 60's were way ahead of their time smile.gif

Heh, times change! The Town & Country Villages were a product of the 60's that did work but the real business was done in the mall where the department stores were. Now the department stores are less important and "entertainment" in the form of restaurants, theaters, etc. has become just as important. From the developers standpoint, a Lifestyle center is also a hell of a lot less expensive to build. They are working in the Arizona desert and in Minnesota so it appears that weather does not affect them that much.
There are still a couple of the old Town and Country Villages around. The Pavilion qualifies and there is one in Mill Valley and one in Palo Alto.

#34 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (folsombound @ Jan 9 2009, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heh, times change! The Town & Country Villages were a product of the 60's that did work but the real business was done in the mall where the department stores were. Now the department stores are less important and "entertainment" in the form of restaurants, theaters, etc. has become just as important. From the developers standpoint, a Lifestyle center is also a hell of a lot less expensive to build. They are working in the Arizona desert and in Minnesota so it appears that weather does not affect them that much.
There are still a couple of the old Town and Country Villages around. The Pavilion qualifies and there is one in Mill Valley and one in Palo Alto.

Is the Sacramento one over by (I think) Fulton and Marconi around? Yeah, they're dated, but so am I.

I know they got rid of the T&C on Stevens Creek in San Jose, but of course they replaced it with Santana Row (or "Town and Country: The Next Generation", as it can be called).

Everything old is new again (except for me) smile.gif
"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#35 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

I bet Santana Row is hurting lately...
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#36 EAH

EAH

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (Thunder @ Jan 9 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the anger is because he ran such a good campaign. He truly is perfect and I think that will translate to his next 8 years in office. In a few short months things should be back to normal with low unemployement, low prices of gas, and better real estate sales. Confidence usually can cure an ailing economy and Obama has confidence . His landslide election demonstrated that. Give him a chance to shine. Change is on the way soon.

I'm afraid it's gonna take longer than that to get us out of this cesspool that 8 years of Bush's administration got us into.

#37 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

I want whatever drugs you're taking....

#38 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (chris v @ Jan 9 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want whatever drugs you're taking....

Please do not feed the trolls.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#39 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (c_vanderveen @ Jan 9 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bah, "mom and pop" stores aren't better. That's why they fail. It isn't big box stores that killed mom and pop either, it's mobility. Mom and pop's existed because people either couldn't go into the big city very often or the supply chain just wasn't there to make goods widely available. If your idea of better is less variety at higher prices, then you have a point. Big box stores are like government, people get what they deserve.

No, its because the big box stores can buy their products at a massive bulk discount. Look at Walmart versus any other store as an example.

you also get cheaper inferior 100% chinese made products, but hey at least you get more variety at lower prices right?

You also lose great customer service going to the chain stores vs a mom and pop store

sorry, but I think the smaller stores are better - I personally like excellent service and higher quality products (even if I have to pay more)

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#40 Thunder

Thunder

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (EAH @ Jan 9 2009, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm afraid it's gonna take longer than that to get us out of this cesspool that 8 years of Bush's administration got us into.

It shouldn't take too long. Since the congress is also democrat, things should improve sooner than if they were divided. I don't get why people dismiss Obamas talent to unite and get things accomplished. He has charisma and that will get people to follow, I think.

#41 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 9 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you lose your job?

Or are you currently still with HP, but looking for a new job within HP because your current job is going away?

Yes and Yes, also looking outside HP

#42 Ram_it!

Ram_it!

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles<br />Trucks<br />Boats<br />camping<br />

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:45 AM

I think the anger is because he ran such a good campaign. He truly is perfect and I think that will translate to his next 8 years in office.

Ohhh god, the nightmare is getting worse. People are already talking about himgetting re-elected. I dont knwo at how many more Obama shirts I can stand to look at.

However, his campaign was truth in advertisement. You remeber the ads that said, "Obama Nation" ?

Well, Obamanation, thats what ya got!

"I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."
Socrates

#43 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

QUOTE (EAH @ Jan 9 2009, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you are correct

#44 folsombound

folsombound

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,040 posts

QUOTE (ngilbert @ Jan 9 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the Sacramento one over by (I think) Fulton and Marconi around? Yeah, they're dated, but so am I.

I know they got rid of the T&C on Stevens Creek in San Jose, but of course they replaced it with Santana Row (or "Town and Country: The Next Generation", as it can be called).

Everything old is new again (except for me) smile.gif

And me, and I'm older than you are! tongue.gif

#45 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (Ram_it! @ Jan 9 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohhh god, the nightmare is getting worse. People are already talking about himgetting re-elected. I dont knwo at how many more Obama shirts I can stand to look at.

However, his campaign was truth in advertisement. You remeber the ads that said, "Obama Nation" ?

Well, Obamanation, thats what ya got!

Hey where do we sign up for our Obama bucks? I might need to get in line..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users