• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 canyonman

canyonman

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:18 PM

Got a mailer the other day that said that AT&T finally is offering DSL in the area (granted not U-Verse like other parts of Folsom); I checked it out online and it's true. Has anyone dumped Comcast for AT&T DSL yet? I was told by a neighbor that AT&T offered DSL many years ago in ARCN, but it was really flaky (probably too far from the Central Office (CO) in Orangevale). I'm wondering if it's worth finding out if they've come up to far on reliability.

#2 Mike Hilscher

Mike Hilscher

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:TV production, graphic design, motion graphics

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE (canyonman @ Jan 12 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got a mailer the other day that said that AT&T finally is offering DSL in the area (granted not U-Verse like other parts of Folsom); I checked it out online and it's true. Has anyone dumped Comcast for AT&T DSL yet? I was told by a neighbor that AT&T offered DSL many years ago in ARCN, but it was really flaky (probably too far from the Central Office (CO) in Orangevale). I'm wondering if it's worth finding out if they've come up to far on reliability.

If you live in ARCN I was told by an AT&T supervisor over the phone that I was more than 5000m from the main hub and could not get anything faster than a 1.5mb line. I had the basic 1.5mb line for years and upgraded to a 6mb line and after testing the UP/DOWN speed I only got around a third of the speed I should of been getting.

Otherwise AT&T has been great no connection loss or interruption of services.

#3 Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (Mike Hilscher @ Feb 11 2009, 02:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you live in ARCN I was told by an AT&T supervisor over the phone that I was more than 5000m from the main hub and could not get anything faster than a 1.5mb line. I had the basic 1.5mb line for years and upgraded to a 6mb line and after testing the UP/DOWN speed I only got around a third of the speed I should of been getting.

Otherwise AT&T has been great no connection loss or interruption of services.

I wouldn't chance ATT. I had a similar issue with where I lived in Rancho.

I had so many issues I ditched them and never turn back.

Those who know me know I loathe Comcast.

I signed back up with them a couple months ago for internet access and have had them since. I will never go back to ATT. I live off Folsom Auburn by ARCN and have never had any issues with Comcast and the speed is insane!

#4 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:46 PM

*bounce* *bounce* *bounce*

YOU BETTER NOT BE LYING TO ME!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#5 FolsomFrogGuy

FolsomFrogGuy

Living Legend

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts
  • Interests:Politics, soccer, rock climbing, SCUBA, landscaping &amp; gardening, environmentalism, political activism, reading,...

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Michael Hughes @ Feb 12 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't chance ATT. I had a similar issue with where I lived in Rancho.

I had so many issues I ditched them and never turn back.

Those who know me know I loathe Comcast.

I signed back up with them a couple months ago for internet access and have had them since. I will never go back to ATT. I live off Folsom Auburn by ARCN and have never had any issues with Comcast and the speed is insane!

In nearly 2 and a half years in ARCN comcast has only gone down a couple times, and the speed is always great. My experience with ATT in Sacramento was horrible...and thanks to their awful customer service I'll never go back. In fact I'm waiting for Apple to end their semi-exclusive carrier contract with ATT in two years before I pick up one of their I-phones...

Let me know when fiber optics make it into the neighborhood....!
Economic Meter for the Wealthy...
Reagan (1980-88) Dow 876 - 1879; 114.6% increase
Bush I (1988-92) Dow 1958 - 3254; 66.1% increase
Clinton (1992-2001) Dow 3223-10588; 228.5% increase
Bush II (2001 - Jan. 20, 2009) Dow 10588 - 7949; 24.9% DECREASE
Obama (2009-Nov. 6, 2009) Dow 7949 - 10,023; 26% Increase
"Gr. Recession" Recovery? - Dow Peak: 10/7/07 - 11/6/09; 14,165-
10,023; Down 29%

#6 canyonman

canyonman

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

Ok thanks everyone! I'll sit tight with Comcast even though their customer service isn't much better. I can't afford to have flakey service and will keep my eyes open for the fiber. I'm assuming we'll all know when that's coming as they'll have to cut little trenches down every street to do it. Hear you on the iphone, I used to have AT&T service as well and thought they were over-rated and overly expensive.

#7 FolsomFrogGuy

FolsomFrogGuy

Living Legend

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts
  • Interests:Politics, soccer, rock climbing, SCUBA, landscaping &amp; gardening, environmentalism, political activism, reading,...

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (canyonman @ Feb 18 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok thanks everyone! I'll sit tight with Comcast even though their customer service isn't much better. I can't afford to have flakey service and will keep my eyes open for the fiber. I'm assuming we'll all know when that's coming as they'll have to cut little trenches down every street to do it. Hear you on the iphone, I used to have AT&T service as well and thought they were over-rated and overly expensive.

When Surewest brought fiber optics to my old Sactown neighborhood, they strung it up on the poles...although utilities should be placed underground, especially in areas regular seasonal ice storms...
Economic Meter for the Wealthy...
Reagan (1980-88) Dow 876 - 1879; 114.6% increase
Bush I (1988-92) Dow 1958 - 3254; 66.1% increase
Clinton (1992-2001) Dow 3223-10588; 228.5% increase
Bush II (2001 - Jan. 20, 2009) Dow 10588 - 7949; 24.9% DECREASE
Obama (2009-Nov. 6, 2009) Dow 7949 - 10,023; 26% Increase
"Gr. Recession" Recovery? - Dow Peak: 10/7/07 - 11/6/09; 14,165-
10,023; Down 29%

#8 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

Looks like we're moving to ARC South. Currently, we have a really good bundle deal from AT&T: high speed internet, U-Verse tv, and dirt-cheap phone since it's for emergencies only. Still no U-Verse available in the ARC South area. I see you mentioning Comcast for internet. Is that for cable as well? Or do you have to do that separately through Dish? Any tips on good deals? Or, should I say, good deals that deliver? We've been very pleased with AT&T. Very fast internet and it's never gone down while we've been using it. I couldn't care less about the cable, but hubby "needs" it for football and basketball seasons.

Thanks in advance for your input/advice. smile.gif

#9 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:23 AM

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Comcast is dying this morning. I'd kill (any Comcast employee) for DSL in ARCN!
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#10 aztransplant

aztransplant

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (mylo @ Aug 20 2009, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Comcast is dying this morning. I'd kill (any Comcast employee) for DSL in ARCN!

Not having fun with Comcast. We moved in last weekend. Comcast guy came out and couldn't figure out how to get us connected and said he'd need to send out a construction guy. No further contact from Comcast, so DH called yesterday (a week later) to find out when we might see this "construction guy." The Comcast person told him he'd get a call no later than 1:30pm. No call. He called Comcast again today and was told they'd have someone come out next weekend. That's two full weeks since we moved in! He asked if the tv would be installed at the same time and was told no, that would take another two weeks or so. So, forget that. We've lived without tv before and can do it again. There's always the local sports bar for football! Right now I'm using wireless, but we need the real deal soon. Other than that, we love ARC South! smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users