• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MIKEthePIKE

MIKEthePIKE

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:40 PM

On Wednesday, Feb 9 around 1:30pm our nanny was pushing our 1-year old daughter in her stroller walking on the sidewalk on American River Canyon Dr in front of house number 331. They were just coming back from Davies Park. She was walking on the left hand side with traffic coming toward her on her right. Out of no where a newer silver sedan veered onto the actual sidewalk and was heading straight toward them. Our nanny was able to react quickly enough to push our daughter into house number 331's front yard into safety. She on the other hand was not as lucky and was clipped by the car's right front bumper. The driver corrected back onto the street and sped off without checking on our nanny's and daughter's welfare. Luckily our nanny was not seriously injured but I am horrified just thinking of the "what-ifs" of the situation. This person was driving way too fast to begin with and their inattentiveness could have cost two innocent people their lives. If anyone has any information on who this could possibly be (maybe there was word of mouth) then please send me a message. I believe in a sense of community and with so many young children in our neighborhood we need to look out for each other. I am disgusted that the driver had the audacity to speed off and I am hoping that this person could be identified and take ownership for what they have done.

#2 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

I hope your nanny filed a police report as that is absolutely necessary!

On Wednesday, Feb 9 around 1:30pm our nanny was pushing our 1-year old daughter in her stroller walking on the sidewalk on American River Canyon Dr in front of house number 331. They were just coming back from Davies Park. She was walking on the left hand side with traffic coming toward her on her right. Out of no where a newer silver sedan veered onto the actual sidewalk and was heading straight toward them. Our nanny was able to react quickly enough to push our daughter into house number 331's front yard into safety. She on the other hand was not as lucky and was clipped by the car's right front bumper. The driver corrected back onto the street and sped off without checking on our nanny's and daughter's welfare. Luckily our nanny was not seriously injured but I am horrified just thinking of the "what-ifs" of the situation. This person was driving way too fast to begin with and their inattentiveness could have cost two innocent people their lives. If anyone has any information on who this could possibly be (maybe there was word of mouth) then please send me a message. I believe in a sense of community and with so many young children in our neighborhood we need to look out for each other. I am disgusted that the driver had the audacity to speed off and I am hoping that this person could be identified and take ownership for what they have done.

#3 MIKEthePIKE

MIKEthePIKE

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

We absolutely filed a police report. Unfortunately there was not much they could do since we were unable to provide a license plate number and there were no witnesses. That is why we are hoping that someone in the neighborhood either sees the vehicle with some damage to the right front bumper that is new or someone slips up and says something. I'm also curious to know if any of the homes on that section of the street have cameras.

I hope your nanny filed a police report as that is absolutely necessary!

#4 irish1

irish1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

Just an idea for you Mike... A number of the home owners in that area have exterior security video surveillance cameras which are focused on the front and sides of their homes. Some of which may pick up passing vehicle traffic in the roadway.

If you were to put together an informational flyer of the date and time this occurred, and a description of the vehicle, you may find that someone has the suspect vehicle on recording - going by their home on the roadway - at approx. the time of day this happened. This will help greatly with the Police investigation also.

Pass the flyers out to homes on both sides of ARC Drive, and cover as much of the area as possible door to door on that street, in both directions. The video may be from a home 2 to 3 blocks away, but will be very valuable - especially if your Nanny can I.D. the car (or eliminate it) as possibly being the suspect vehicle. If a recording is found, notify the Police and let them recover the copy to preserve chain of custody etc... And if the angle is right, they may be able to work a license plate number off the photo...? Did your Nanny get a look at the vehicle driver at all? Maybe a partial description? That will be important also. Sometimes when traumatic incidents happen the witness, or in this case victim, have a more detailed recollection of the event after a day or two, as to the vehicle and the driver. It might be worth going over it again with her.

I wish you luck, and be safe.....

#5 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:33 AM

OMG that is horrible. I shudder at the "what might have happened" imagery. :-( If you do have a description of the car, recommend you post it here - you might get a recognition.

#6 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

I'm sorry to hear this happened and hope the driver is caught.
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#7 mrfixitno1

mrfixitno1

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

We absolutely filed a police report. Unfortunately there was not much they could do since we were unable to provide a license plate number and there were no witnesses. That is why we are hoping that someone in the neighborhood either sees the vehicle with some damage to the right front bumper that is new or someone slips up and says something. I'm also curious to know if any of the homes on that section of the street have cameras.

#8 mrfixitno1

mrfixitno1

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:44 AM

Mike, this is a sad situation for sure. You should be aware that the ARCN HOA was in the process of putting together a mass e-mail to all ARCN residents that we have e-mail addresses for, regarding a traffic speed study recently done on one of the major through streets in ARCN. The e-mail has not yet been sent and after seeing your post, we are modifying it to include the incident that your Nanny and daughter were involved in. We are working with the City to determine what options can be implemented within ARCN to get people to slow down. In your case, this driver was most likely distracted by something but never the less, the results could have been tragic. To not stop to render aid is un-forgiveable.

#9 MIKEthePIKE

MIKEthePIKE

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

Although I am curious to know the results of the speed study, I am guessing that it will reveal what we all probably already know...people drive way to fast in the neighborhood. In my quest to see if any of the homes on that side of ARC Drive had surveillance cameras (which was unsuccessful), I met a neighbor who told me a story of a car that careened through his yard and totaled a vehicle that was in his driveway. Mind you this happened only a few doors down from where our incident occurred. Once you are in the neighborhood, speeding would save you less than 30-45 seconds from arriving at your destination. Do people really think that their time is worth THAT much...?

Anyway, apologies for my rant. I guess I am still a little bitter that someone could hit a person with their car and not even slow down (let alone stop) to see if that person is ok. Thanks for letting me know that steps are underway to resolve this issue. I would be more than happy to participate in any activities that may require assistance. Just private message me through the forum.

Best regards and enjoy the sunny weekend before the rain.

Mike

Mike, this is a sad situation for sure. You should be aware that the ARCN HOA was in the process of putting together a mass e-mail to all ARCN residents that we have e-mail addresses for, regarding a traffic speed study recently done on one of the major through streets in ARCN. The e-mail has not yet been sent and after seeing your post, we are modifying it to include the incident that your Nanny and daughter were involved in. We are working with the City to determine what options can be implemented within ARCN to get people to slow down. In your case, this driver was most likely distracted by something but never the less, the results could have been tragic. To not stop to render aid is un-forgiveable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users