Photo
- - - - -

Proposed Muslim Mosque

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you in favor of the proposed mosque in Folsom? (148 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you in favor of the proposed mosque in Folsom?

1. YES, I welcome it in our community (119 votes [62.96%])

Percentage of vote: 62.96%

2. NO, I do not welcome it in our community (49 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

3. I haven't decided (21 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:01 PM

Oops.. just realized this was the new thread. Forget the back on topic bit smile.gif

Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#32 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(jagayman @ Jul 25 2005, 04:53 PM)
Off topic -- or maybe back on topic smile.gif -- I am having troubles with the 70' height of the proposed building (especially when you consider it is already at a 15' or so height above the road).  I'm not sure that I want to look out from my house towards Lake Natoma and see spires in the foreground.

Are there any other 70' structures in Folsom?

Jason

View Post

Yes, I am wondering about that as well. Architecturally, won't the building look rather strange on Sibley Street? Its bulk and unusual style will be made all the more pronounced by the fact that it is being dropped onto a street of ranch houses and California-style homes.

I can't even get a mental picture of the proposed mosque without experiencing intense cognitive dissonance.

I also wonder, once again, where does the Sibley Street crowd stand on this issue? In arguing for the Sibley Street closure, the residents insisted that Sibley is a residential street. Now we are talking about a structure that will attract hundreds, if not thousands, of cars at the edge of the residential section of Sibley. Without a doubt, this will increase traffic and noise in the residential section. Sibley St. residents, what say you??

#33 jagayman

jagayman

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:25 PM

Depending on the direction of traffic, there are no houses between the mosque and Blue Ravine. Traffic on Levy (from short cutters) or through Glenn/Sibley will probably increase. Actually, those on Sibley at Lembi, for example will probably be affected the least smile.gif

Jason
Jason Gayman
Folsom Weather Webmaster

#34 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:06 AM

I don't think it'll look any stranger than other places of worship.

If one grew up looking at churches (I've heard non Christians comment that they look like haunted houses) that may not look strange to you, but a dome might.

If you grew up looking at architecture with a domes on top it wouldn't look strange to you.

As for a 70' precedent, well, there will be one when the Folsom mall, hospital and building is completed.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#35 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:17 AM

Certainly Intel is 70 feet. And the guntowers at Folsom State Prison and California State Prison Sacramento.

#36 EDF

EDF

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:34 AM

what about the noise that might come from the call to prayer 5 times a day....

I'm waiting for the mosque to sue the city over that eventually... there was a law passed I think in Michigan somewhere because the city was worried about being sued because of "discrimination"....

I for one wish we could have closed our borders and not have these folks because let's face it... We are in a "religious" and "cultural" war....

Islam is not a religion of peace... it's a religion of "submission"....get it...?

#37 Mennabear

Mennabear

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:42 AM

This is an interesting article about Muslim leaders targeting youth in their anti-terror campaign. I wonder how effective a program like this would be. Usually potential terrorists are recruited while at a young and impressionable age.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ence/index.html

#38 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:47 AM

There had better not be some loudass horn blaring Arabic 5 times a day. I will rip that s--- down myself.

#39 Cloud9

Cloud9

Hopeless Addict

• Member*
  • 5,000 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:52 AM

It's just a little sound. No different than hearing the band playing at a football game, people mowing their lawns, motorcycles blaring down the street at midnight around here, or the constant drone of airplanes flying over Folsom at night.

I can hear construction equipment right now. Come to think of it, I believe Sunday is the only day of the week that I don't hear construction equipment.

I thought that lawsuit was somewhere in Illinois....
"The important thing is not to stop questioning'' | "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
-- Albert Einstein--

http://folsomforum.com/

IPB Image

#40 7-11

7-11

All Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(c_vanderveen @ Jul 26 2005, 09:47 AM)
There had better not be some loudass horn blaring Arabic 5 times a day. I will rip that s--- down myself.

View Post

Now, now, Chad, that's terribly insensitive and intolerant, but I'll help you if you need it.

#41 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE(7-11 @ Jul 26 2005, 09:53 AM)
Now, now, Chad, that's terribly insensitive and intolerant, but I'll help you if you need it.

View Post

rofl.gif

#42 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE(Terry @ Jul 26 2005, 09:17 AM)
Certainly Intel is 70 feet.  And the guntowers at Folsom State Prison and California State Prison Sacramento.

View Post

Intel is NOT 70 feet- more like 35- 70 feet is equal to a 6-7 story building. ..
I would say the gun towers at the prison are less than 40 feet as well.

Considering the location is at the right corner of Sibley and ??? ( forget the name) - and there are no homes in the immediate area - I doubt it will be all that visible-

Cheers
F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#43 Farley

Farley

Living Legend

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(folsom500 @ Jul 26 2005, 10:11 AM)
Intel is NOT 70 feet- more like 35-  70 feet is equal to a 6-7 story building. ..
I would say the gun towers at the prison are less than 40 feet as well.

Considering the location is at the right corner of Sibley and ??? ( forget the name) - and there are no homes in the immediate area - I doubt it will be all that visible-
Cheers
F500

View Post

Also its location is at the bottom of a hill...

#44 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:42 AM

Here's a good article about minarets, their significance in Islam, and various designs:

http://www.islamicar...aret-types.html

#45 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:31 AM

I forgot that it's at Sibley and Levy, not Sibley and Glenn. So, I guess it won't be right next to any houses.

I was impressed by the cleric's statements that the mosque is open to anyone and they intend to teach people to be good Americans. --I wondered, is it really open to anyone? If I show up, will they let me in? Will women be segregated as they are in many mosques?

I am trying to keep in mind that the members of this mosque will be our neighbors and co-workers, many of them from Intel. --Not that the fact that someone works at Intel is a guarantee of non-radicalism. Some of you may know that a couple of Muslim Intel employees (Oregon campus, I believe) were arrested on charges of terrorist conspiracy (they have pleaded guilty and are in jail now). My husband's co-worker worked with one of the employees. He seemed like a perfectly normal, family man, but what no one knew was that he became radicalized in response to 9/11 and the war in Afghanistan. He was caught trying to smuggle himself through China to get to Afghanistan to fight against the U.S. I think incidents like that ("the enemy among us") are understandably frightening to Americans, even if it is only a minute percentage of Muslims who would be sympathetic to such views. I hope the new mosque will be extremely open to the community and vocal in its denunciation of terrorism.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users