Photo
- - - - -

Yosemite Half Dome Hike- Anyone Been - Can We Do It ?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:57 PM

I did the hike back in 2000 pre-cable permit (I think). It was sold as a team building exercise by my manager. We would do a simple hike where water and a few power bars were all that's required. We had one day to get up and back which ended up being a 12 hour day of hiking.

By the time we got to the top of the cables I was comfortable with the idea of death. In fact, it seemed like an option far better than walking back. When I arrived back to the bus which took us to camp I actually had sweatcicles hanging from my eyebrows. Literally stalactites hanging from my eyebrows which scared a little girl from her seat at the front of the bus clear to the back.

For myself and the people I went with its still remembered as the most miserable experience ever. My recommendation would be Sutter Street Steak House. For the money you will spend on the Half Dome hike you can get a great meal, nice scotch and a memory you won't long to forget.

Love this post!

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#17 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:15 AM

I guess it's all relative, but this does not seem like a very hard hike. And the ones complaining about it? What the hell? Maybe the last little bit up the cables is a little technical but it's all on trails. There is no off trail navigation. It's only 14 miles. The highest point is only 8800'. That is not that high.

Get yourself used to hiking at elevation. Go do some day hikes on the Tahoe Rim Trail. Try to hike up Mt. Rose. If you can handle that then I think you could do this.

#18 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:22 AM

At 84, your friend appears to be the oldest person who would ever do it.  The oldest I could find was 77. 

I would be very concerned taking an 84-year-old in any condition on the cables.  That said, practice the steepest hills you can and, like Chris said, hike at altitude.  Steep hills at altitude.   A  LOT.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#19 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

At 84, your friend appears to be the oldest person who would ever do it.  The oldest I could find was 77. 

I would be very concerned taking an 84-year-old in any condition on the cables.  That said, practice the steepest hills you can and, like Chris said, hike at altitude.  Steep hills at altitude.   A  LOT.

A 92-year old woman just ran the San Diego Marathon in 7 hours, 24 minutes, and 36 seconds. We don't know what kind of shape this 84-year-old is in. Only he can judge what he can do. Everyone's input will help them decide.

http://www.cnn.com/2...shes/index.html

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#20 fouroheight68

fouroheight68

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:00 AM

I did it in 2009, in 2 days. 1 day can be done but at  your age I would recommend taking your time. Yes, you need a permit. Going up wasn't as scary as the going down part. Plus, it is packed with people so it is a slow shuffle going down. When people are going up the cables and youre going down it is a little sketchy going around them. My friend in high school went up when the cables were down (off season) and slipped and fell. Amazingly  he slip undil his underware snagged on a lone branch! He as heli-rescued off (ironic because he is a rescue pilot himself). 

Here is a good article about the trip. 

http://www.sfgate.co...ers-2553488.php

You can do it, its not physically that demanding. 

#21 apeman45

apeman45

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:17 PM

I've done this hike 5 times and I'm 56 with terrible knees.  Only 2 people have died out of a million hikers.  The most recent was about 5 years ago when people ignored the thunderstorms that had developed every afternoon for a week.  I heard the helicopter at 3pm in a pouring rain while we were in the valley and wondered if someone had fallen.  We had read the weather reports so we left at 4am the next morning to beat the storms.  We were at the bottom of the cables at 9:30 am where a ranger stopped us and we got to watch a chopper retrieve the body.  The other hiker fell from the cables which may have been caused by overcrowding which prompted the park service to implement the current permit system. There were a couple guys killed by lightning while they smoked pot in a storm at the top many years ago.  All other accidents have been with the cables down in the off season.

You guys hike 20-30 miles more a week than most of us.  Go do Mt Tallac out of South Lake Tahoe which is a 10 mile round trip hike with around 3500 feet of elevation.  If you can do that comfortably you can do half dome.  Half dome is harder but it's a really cool hike.

I'm an avid backpacker and see old guys all the time doing 50+ mile hikes.  I saw many 70+ hikers on my John Muir trail hike last summer.  The old guys and gals secret is to take their time and they know their gear and their bodies well and know what they are capable of from experience.  Hiking poles are an absolute must so get those and start using them and strengthen your arms and legs.

You really need to do this as a 2 day hike.  You'll have to hang out at the wilderness permit office and hope for a cancellation to the Little Yosemite Valley Camping area which is 4.7 miles up the trail if you take the JMT and a mile shorter if you take the steeper mist trail which I wouldn't go that way with a pack. What I would do if I were you guys is to take the Panorama trail from Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley.  That way you save a couple thousand feet of climbing the 1st day and it's very scenic.  Next day get up early and do half dome and come back to camp and collect your gear and then head back to Yosemite Valley / Happy Isles via the mist trail or the John Muir trail.  Take your time, know your limitations and bring headlamps in case you have to hike in the dark.  There also is no reliable water between Little Yosemite Valley and Half Dome so fill up in the Merced river before heading to the cables.

If anyone is interested I teach a beginner backpacking class through the El Dorado Hills Parks and Recreation department.  Class starts in July and includes an overnight trip into Desolation Wilderness.  REI charges a couple hundred dollars for a similar trip.  My class is 24 dollars and I do it strictly for fun as a volunteer.  It's open to anyone 14 years and older who is reasonably fit and can handle a moderate 4 mile hike with a pack each way with 2000 feet of elevation gain.  You can find my class here: http://www.eldoradoh...t-programs.html

#22 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:47 PM

Wow - A wealth of information here.   As to the age thing his 84 years have been good to him, mostly due to his exercise routines and good genetics... he is in better shape than I am.

I have realized in looking at the responses and more info online that we need to do more conditioning work going up steeper hills to work the thighs so they do not fatigue so quickly as I understand that the uphill is long and arduous prior to the dome itself.

We will look into trying trekking poles as they seem to have been recommended by several.

I do appreciate Apemans comments that we walk 20-30 miles a week MORE than "most of us (you)I thought that was funny- yet appropriate :) ;)  

There are some logistics that we have not thought of - camping- backpacking part way that we need to consider as well.  

A few trials would certainly be done prior to any attempt... we will certainly consider taking apeman's backpacking class since we would likely take the 2 day option which would seem to require some backpacking in and out.

So right now it looks like we will put it together in a written plan and then work on doing this around  his 85th birthday next spring...

In the mean time I am planning for his first Parachute jump ...

Thank you all for you comments

Cheers

F500

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#23 sunnyCA

sunnyCA

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:33 PM

Sounds like a very cool octogenarian...parachuting and hiking Half Dome.  Awesome!  Have fun if you go. It was definitely something that I will never forget!

#24 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:01 AM

Just in case you hadn't seen this in the news: http://www.presshera...ites-half-dome/

Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

#25 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:34 PM

Just in case you hadn't seen this in the news: http://www.presshera...ites-half-dome/

Not that anything like this is good, but glad it is on the shear face and not the backside where we would be hiking ( versus climbing )

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#26 JohhnyCash

JohhnyCash

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:31 PM

A few years ago I did the round trip hike from the valley floor up to the top by the cables route.  I did the round trip in seven hours, which included running down the trail on the return.  However, I was literally in Marathon running shape.  Having experienced the trip in excellent physical shape that I would say that one must be in very good physical condition to attempt the hike at all.  In addition, the cables are dangerous  and one must be well prepared.  This hike is not to be taken likely. 

This is probably one of the greatest national park hikes there is and it's the one that you are most likely to die on.

It's entirely worth it - if you are prepared.

JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users