#1 carnivore

carnivore

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:cooking, eating, restaurant touring

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

I am surprised that no one has posted on this by now. Chops a chain is now open by the Palladio Cinema theatres. I visited yesterday for lunch and was quite impressed. The interior decor was bright, vivid colors and muted walls. It has a good sized bar and some unique seating arrangements. For those that are curious, like me there is an open kitchen for your viewing pleasure. Yhe exeutive chef was very nice and gave me a cooks tour of the kitchen, no expenses spared here.. My server/bartender was very nice-professional and also works at L.O. and Sienna. so knows her way around steakhouses.. at her reccomendation I sampled the prime rib sandwich with mixed greens. It was very good with a plentiful mountain of shaved prime rib and some tasty au jus. I don't think this place is a go to lunch destination as their lunch menu is the same as their dinner menu. I will be back which I can say is not my goals at Sutter St. Steakhouse nor L.O. Give them a try, it's great to have choices these days especially when they charge the prices they do.. Oh and as far as I can tell the interior noise level seemed tame.. but that might be due to that fact that I was the only patron in there for and hour before another group showed up.. They will do fine given the competition..

#2 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

Been there a couple times now - the second time was to see if the first time was just a fluke in terms of service.

Haven't been back.

If I want a steak in Folsom, Sutter Street Steakhouse will be it...

Unless I'm grilling it myself which is better than all of the steakhouses in Folsom, but requires more effort than eating out :)

#3 25or6to4

25or6to4

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

With a signon ID like "carnivore", I have an inclination to trust your opinion on steak houses.
My question is, do they offer Primerib? Not all steakhouses do.
"And the Wind cries Mary"

#4 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

With a signon ID like "carnivore", I have an inclination to trust your opinion on steak houses.
My question is, do they offer Primerib? Not all steakhouses do.

The Chops in Sacramento has prime rib, so I bet this one does too.
http://chopssacramento.com

#5 carnivore

carnivore

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:cooking, eating, restaurant touring

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

Yes they have prime rib, a 10oz. cut is $30.00 and a 16oz. cut is $40.00 ouch !!! I did have the prime rib sandwich the other day is it was made with a shaved prime rib... tasty

#6 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

We tried it. Food was good, service was weird. We had one complaint but our server disappeared for ten minutes. After that we had five different people check on us to make sure we weren't going to make any more trouble.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#7 tgianco

tgianco

Living Legend

• 4,152 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, soccer, football, poker, wine, good food, reading

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

Happy Hour? If so, what are the specials?
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

#8 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

We had dinner tonight. Very good, excellent food. We had rib eye and salmon, both with the mixed green salad and the salt baked potatoes. everything from start to finish was excellent, flavorful and perfectly prepared. price was reasonable for what the type of restaurant and the quality. we'll definately be back!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#9 caligirlz

caligirlz

Living Legend

• 3,163 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:53 PM

Had dinner there tonight. Everyone in our party ordered steak after we found out that this is their specialty. I have only two complaints - everyone's steak was barely warm, and the filet was not as tender as I would have expected. But, overall, it was a pleasant & tasty experience and the service was outstanding.

#10 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

I can prepare a Steak Dinner that would amaze you, and they would be sizzling off the grill when I presented them.

That's my problem with mediocrity...

Had dinner there tonight. Everyone in our party ordered steak after we found out that this is their specialty. I have only two complaints - everyone's steak was barely warm, and the filet was not as tender as I would have expected. But, overall, it was a pleasant & tasty experience and the service was outstanding.

#11 Thinkingoutloud

Thinkingoutloud

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

I had lunch here a few weeks ago. iI was good, but nothing made me want to come back. I had the steak sandwich and the flavor was ok, the meat cut very thick. The garlic fries were delicious! Service was fine. The decor was bland. Prices reasonable.
I guess you can tell from my description - nothing stood out for me - it was just 'satisfactory'. I was with 8 others, and everyone said the same thing, it was 'fine'. Not really what yo uwant to hear.
I think I would try again - they have a beautiful outdoor patio that will be really nice on a warm summer/fall evening. When I can drink again that is. ;-)

#12 Sandman

Sandman

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

Food - Good (didn't blow me away)
Service - Very good
Ambiance/Location - not so great.. Something about watching people going into/out of the movie theatre while "trying" to have a romantic dinner with the wife didn't sit well. Given all the unoccupied spaces in the Palladio I don't get the decision to locate right next to the theatre. On top of that the front entrance to the place is plain awkward. We literally walked by it twice thinking it was a side door or emergency exit.

If I had a choice between this place and Sutter Street for a special steak dinner I would probably pick SS next time.

#13 Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes

Superstar

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'm surprised everyone chooses SS. If I want a Steak in Folsom, Land Ocean it is. Best food and service I have had anywhere every time I have gone.

Won't go anywhere else for a steak in Folsom.

#14 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

I'm surprised everyone chooses SS. If I want a Steak in Folsom, Land Ocean it is. Best food and service I have had anywhere every time I have gone.

Won't go anywhere else for a steak in Folsom.

unless you have a financial stake in Land Ocean, you might want to give chops a try. Their food is excellent!
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#15 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

LO is indeed great but $$$$

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users