#16 M.E.G.

M.E.G.

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:29 PM

Bill Z,

How long has your friend lived in Swansboro? I love that area. Peaceful and quiet, and pretty. Just curious if he has any good or bad comments about it.

M.E.G.

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Jun 10 2008, 03:10 PM) View Post
My friend out in the sticks of Swansboro country thought the same thing until he got robbed.

I've been robbed here in Folsom.

If you don't lock your dorrs, care to disclose your home address, that way if I'm in your neighborhood late at night and need a quick snack, I can raid your fridge for a quick bite. I'm an honest person, so I'll leave a few bucks for the bread & lunchmeat.

Mechelle Reasoner (formerly Gooch)

Movin'...So You Can!

Morris Williams Realty

Call or txt: 916 955-8698,

Email me

Read my blog, search for homes, find out more about Folsom at FolsomCorner.com

#17 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE(M.E.G. @ Jun 10 2008, 07:29 PM) View Post
Bill Z,

How long has your friend lived in Swansboro? I love that area. Peaceful and quiet, and pretty. Just curious if he has any good or bad comments about it.

M.E.G.

> 15 years I think
He loves it. The commute is a bit much, but he feels it's worth it. He can go dirt bike riding whenever he wants right out his backdoor. After he got tired of splitting wood to heat his home, he had propane installed.
I would rather be Backpacking

#18 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:19 AM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Jun 10 2008, 03:10 PM) View Post
My friend out in the sticks of Swansboro country thought the same thing until he got robbed.

I've been robbed here in Folsom.

If you don't lock your dorrs, care to disclose your home address, that way if I'm in your neighborhood late at night and need a quick snack, I can raid your fridge for a quick bite. I'm an honest person, so I'll leave a few bucks for the bread & lunchmeat.

Hey Bill - what happened? When and where did you get robbed here in Folsom?

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#19 Allen

Allen

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Riding motorcycles and meeting motorcyclists, mountain biking, running the Folsom trails, digital photography, Geocaching (enjoy the link), cool technology gadgets, traveling anywhere and everywhere, good friends, music on my iPod.

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 11 2008, 07:19 AM) View Post

Don't forget; if you have a monitored alarm system professionally installed in your home you can call your insurance agent for a DISCOUNT!

In addition for those so inclined, if you live in a gated community and or you have 24 hour security patrol/guard some insurance companies also offer discounts or different ratings for that also. Ask your agent! Be prepared to have documentation to send like a billing statement or alarm certificate from the alarm company at the ready to provide to your agent so that he/she can apply the discount with the proper paperwork to underwriting. I hope this helps!

A~

#20 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(davburr @ Jun 11 2008, 07:19 AM) View Post

When, oh probably around 1995.

Where, my garage. Partially my fault for making myself an easy target. Side garage door was open to help cool the garage overnight. They hopped over my locked gate, walked into the garage, stole a roommates mountain bike, a bunch of my airtools and a small color TV. Released the garage door from the opener so they could slide it open quietly while we were all sleeping.

But, I was fortunate the thieves were idiots, so as they continued trolling around town looking for other targets, the folsom Police stopped them for driving suspiciously. The punks stopped the car and took off running through a park. So the cops impounded the car with all of my belongings and a few other victims property. After requesting, the police did release my roommates bicycle, but held onto the rest of my property for 3 months as evidence until the trial was over.

I no longer leave my side garage door open at night.

#21 fromhnl

fromhnl

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:09 AM

[quote name='Bill Z' date='Jun 11 2008, 08:53 AM' post='247281']
Side garage door was open to help cool the garage overnight. They hopped over my locked gate, walked into the garage, stole a roommates mountain bike, a bunch of my airtools and a small color TV. }

That would be a residential burglary, not a robbery.

#22 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(fromhnl @ Jun 11 2008, 12:09 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Bill Z @ Jun 11 2008, 08:53 AM) View Post

Side garage door was open to help cool the garage overnight. They hopped over my locked gate, walked into the garage, stole a roommates mountain bike, a bunch of my airtools and a small color TV. }

I stand corrected, until just now googling the definition, I didn't realize that robbery was different than simple theft. I didn't realize one's presence "more or less" was required for theft to be classified as a robbery, I was present, but not aware of the crime when it took place, so that does from a legal standpoint differentiate it from a robbery by definition.
I don't know if this new knowledge will hold, or if my incorrect mental definition of robbery will win out over the long run. I expect the latter.

#23 fromhnl

fromhnl

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Jun 11 2008, 11:25 AM) View Post

I stand corrected, until just now googling the definition, I didn't realize that robbery was different than simple theft. I didn't realize one's presence "more or less" was required for theft to be classified as a robbery, I was present, but not aware of the crime when it took place, so that does from a legal standpoint differentiate it from a robbery by definition.
I don't know if this new knowledge will hold, or if my incorrect mental definition of robbery will win out over the long run. I expect the latter.

Hi Bill, no problem. A lot of citizens don't know the difference. Classifying a theft as
robbery depends on the degree of force used or applied during the act. Also robbery
is defined by the means of force or fear imposed during the act. You were very
fortunate not to have been harmed and a relief that your property was found quickly and
returned to you. Many property crimes could be prevented if people would remember
to lock their doors (all of them) and park their cars inside the garage. Stroll through any parking lot in town and one can see valuables in cars left out in the open and often times the doors are unlocked! I bet their homes are easy pickin' too.

#24 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(fromhnl @ Jun 11 2008, 03:03 PM) View Post
Hi Bill, no problem. A lot of citizens don't know the difference. Classifying a theft as
robbery depends on the degree of force used or applied during the act. Also robbery
is defined by the means of force or fear imposed during the act. You were very
fortunate not to have been harmed and a relief that your property was found quickly and
returned to you. Many property crimes could be prevented if people would remember
to lock their doors (all of them) and park their cars inside the garage. Stroll through any parking lot in town and one can see valuables in cars left out in the open and often times the doors are unlocked! I bet their homes are easy pickin' too.

Growing up, during my teenage years, I wasn't a big fan of the police. But since getting older and moving to Folsom, I will have to say the Folsom Police have been more a friend than an enemy for me. Their diligance recovered my stolen property. They responded fairly quickly to a False Alarm at my house caused by Roseville telephone tripping my burglar alarm. And they worked with me on my identity theft problem 3 years ago, I don't think the culprits were caught, but the police report still helped in making sure I was refunded for all of the losses I incurred. I was pulled over once under suspicion of drunken driving, but the officer recognized my sobriety and let me go on my way after a brief conversation and the standard checking for warrants. As a result, I tend to get bothered when I hear or read about people bad-mouthing our local Police Dept, because my experience is they have been helpful and very professional in my dealings with them.

#25 dancinmomof3

dancinmomof3

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:bellydancing, salsa dancing, dancing, laughing, biking, hiking, kayaking, parenting, pregnancy, childbirth, extended breastfeeding, nutrition, investing, helping people and the earth and having fun.

Posted 06 July 2008 - 02:31 PM

We are also looking into alarm systems and services. Does anyone else have recommendations? What do you know about Bay Alarm company? Thank you in advance for any info.

#26 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(dancinmomof3 @ Jul 6 2008, 03:31 PM) View Post
We are also looking into alarm systems and services. Does anyone else have recommendations? What do you know about Bay Alarm company? Thank you in advance for any info.

See and I want one too.... especially with the baby coming, and Chris needing to go to Japan for a week or so for work.

There are so many choices out there. Like car insurance. How do you know you have a good alarm, until you need to use it.... then it is kinda too late! It was either good or in the end you got screwed!

<3

#27 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:02 AM

Bottom line on security.

No matter how much security you put in place, someone can defeat it.
But each level of security increases the difficulty and this drives up the "skill level" required to get past security and there are fewer thieves with the skill level needed, so the odds of being robbed go down.

for instance, just locking your car stops the punk kids that will try to open a door to steal that cell phone you left in plain view on the seat. It stops the punks that won't go to the next level of breaking a window to steal something.

The car alarm with the flashing light maybe enough of a deterrent to stop the punk that would break a window on an un-alarmed car, but doesn't want to risk setting off an alarm.

etc, etc.

So decide how much security you are willing to afford, and take what measures you are comfortable with.

#28 Folsom Guy

Folsom Guy

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(Bill Z @ Jul 7 2008, 09:02 AM) View Post
Bottom line on security.

No matter how much security you put in place, someone can defeat it.
But each level of security increases the difficulty and this drives up the "skill level" required to get past security and there are fewer thieves with the skill level needed, so the odds of being robbed go down.

for instance, just locking your car stops the punk kids that will try to open a door to steal that cell phone you left in plain view on the seat. It stops the punks that won't go to the next level of breaking a window to steal something.

The car alarm with the flashing light maybe enough of a deterrent to stop the punk that would break a window on an un-alarmed car, but doesn't want to risk setting off an alarm.

etc, etc.

So decide how much security you are willing to afford, and take what measures you are comfortable with.

easiest and cheapest to post some flyers, posters and banners proudly proclaiming membership of the old NRA - the oldest civil rights organization.

#29 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

For those of you who think you are safe with the alarmed phone box door there is an easy way around that. Just punch through the stucco or wood below the box and cut all the lines. This is of course after you cut power to the house from the outside. The audible alarm is on battery backup, if it's a good one, so once you are in you can silence that pretty quickly and go about your business (as long as the owner is not armed). I don't rob houses for a living by the way, I just read a lot. I am a big fan of in home, rifle size, gun safes. Keep all your good stuff in there and you're fine. The odds of them busting in the safe or taking it are very low. The thieves have to guess which house believes in, and practices, the 2nd Ammendment in this country......! What a great place to live....! Did you know when they took all the firearms in Britain and Australia from the good people a few years ago, armed home invasions skyrocketed....!

1A - 2A = -1A

#30 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(Chris @ Jul 7 2008, 04:36 PM) View Post
For those of you who think you are safe with the alarmed phone box door there is an easy way around that. Just punch through the stucco or wood below the box and cut all the lines. This is of course after you cut power to the house from the outside. The audible alarm is on battery backup, if it's a good one, so once you are in you can silence that pretty quickly and go about your business (as long as the owner is not armed). I don't rob houses for a living by the way, I just read a lot. I am a big fan of in home, rifle size, gun safes. Keep all your good stuff in there and you're fine. The odds of them busting in the safe or taking it are very low. The thieves have to guess which house believes in, and practices, the 2nd Ammendment in this country......! What a great place to live....! Did you know when they took all the firearms in Britain and Australia from the good people a few years ago, armed home invasions skyrocketed....!

Yes, but punching through stucco is easier said than done. And as far as disabling battery back-up, one you have to find where the heck that is located, and BTW, my battery box is locked as well. Yes, like I said before, nothing is fool proof, but the harder it is, the fewer number of bad guys willing to go that far. and yes, 500+ lb fire rate gunsafes bolted to concrete slabs make a wonderful protection to your valuables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users