19 replies to this topic

#1 Architect02116

Architect02116

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 02:14 PM

Hello,

My girlfriend and myself will be moving to the Folsom/ Rancho Cordova area from Massachusetts in April. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some of the nicer rental complexes, or if anyone knows of rental property (Duplex/condo/ home) in a nice location.

We are hoping to find a living space that will make such a big transition happen a little smoother in an area that has some of the characteristics we may be familiar with having lived in New England. Safe, "Park" like setting, not too densely constructed, friendly neighbors and at least visually/ audibly separated from neighboring traffic, retail and industry.

Any suggestions would be welcome....

We are also open to any suggestions for places to meet people in the area once we get there.

Thank you

Dan Miller

#2 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 05:05 PM

Some of you may be able to help with this------the lovely apartment complex across Blue Ravine from Folsom Middle School and------the beautiful condo complex on both sides of American River Canyon, up from Greenback.

I can't think of the names of either of them but have seen them and wanted to rent in the first, and wanted to buy in the second, at one time.

I have no idea of the rental prices either.

#3 kanda

kanda

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 09:13 PM

The apartments on Blue Ravine are owned by BRE Properties; they're named "Pinnacle at Blue Ravine". The same company also owns "Quail Chase" in Folsom, at 99 Cable Circle (don't know where that is).

You can go to their website and pick "Sacramento" from the drop down box. That will show you the 2 Folsom properties, as well as a few others they own in the area. From there, you can see floorplans, rents, even take a "virtual tour". It's a nice website, though it does contain at least a few minor errors that I see. (For example, it states it's one mile from a new 24-screen theater complex, but in reality its several miles from a 14-screen complex.)

#4 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 09:19 AM

Quail Chase is on Riley at Blue Ravine.

#5 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 11 March 2003 - 09:45 AM

Hi,

I've rented in a couple of apartments in Folsom before buying a house and have checked out all of the apartments in Folsom before picking the ones we lived in.

Personally, I've checked out the apartments 2bed/2ba at the Pinaccle and Quail Chase. Although they are smaller apartment complexes, both are in high traffic areas and the living spaces are somewhat smaller than I would like for the price they are asking. The living room areas are somewhat dark as well with small windows.

I would suggest checking these apartments. They have bigger bedrooms than most. The rental rates are comparable to the higher end apartments and condos in MA. {My brother lived in Birmington MA and hubby is from Lowell, MA so we are a little familiar with apartment prices there.}

THE FALLS @ Creekside is a brand new apartment complex. The developer really outdid themselves with this complex. Lots of bedroom space. The kitchen is a good size with all the amenities and looks custom made. Very bright and open -- lots of windows even in the bathroom. The rental rates are pretty good. There is a basketball court, tennis courts, nice pool, and the club house is really nice with a conference room, pool table, and exercise equipment that beats all of the other apartment complexes here in Folsom. I wish they were around when we were renting.

The sister site to THE FALLS is THE FAIRMONTS. THEFAIRMONTS is also a nice apartment complex with better rental rates. The FALLS is actually an upgraded version of the Fairmonts. The same developer built it. The Fairmonts has a nice sized pool, club house is a little smaller. The GYM is very nice. People are friendly there. I lived there and really liked it. We had a 2bd/2ba and it was nice and open. Big living room and kitchen area. It was spacious.

WILLOWSPRINGS is another complex that is very nicely planned. The 2bed/2ba is very very spacious inside. Big Living Room, bedroom. Let's just say when you walk in, you feel like you are walking into a house and not an apartment. The price is a little higher but you have a larger living space. It is very bright and open with many windows. The staff is friendly as well.

I would highly recommend The Fairmonts, The Falls and Willowsprings.

SACRAMENTOBEEAPARTMENTSLISTINGS CHECK the aforementioned link to the apartments in Folsom.

Good luck! smile.gif
"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

#6 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 09:51 AM

DO NOT confuse Rancho Cordova and Folsom as similar. Move to Folsom, not Rancho "Cambodia" as they call it. There is NO bad area in Folsom. It is quite possibly the perfect town. Rancho is not.

#7 OctoberLily

OctoberLily

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Interests:My interests vary. However, they focus mainly on my husband and children. Getting my boys through college and creating a good life for themselves. I enjoy anything creative, artistic and thought provoking. Music ranges from Andrea Boccelli to some hiphop groups. I enjoy dancing, singing and life in general. Former U.S. Marine - pretty conservative in my opinions but always open to listening to what others have to say.

Posted 11 March 2003 - 10:04 AM

Well, Gold River and Rancho Cordova kind of merge together almost like one confusing city. Rancho Cordova is a little busy and very congested. I don't think you guys would like it there. It would be like living in the outskirts of Boston, MA. Lots of traffic, too many stores at every corner. It's just too busy over there. The rental rates are a lot cheaper but you get what you pay for. I certainly would not feel comfortable going for "walks" there during the day. Nighttime? NEVER. A lot more crime.

If you past Sunrise Boulevard on I50 and head north exit Natomas you will find the Gold River area is very nice and right before you get to Folsom. Gold River has Natomas Lake where you can go bicycling, kayaking, fishing, etc. They actually have some nice areas there. Shopping is a 5 min drive.

You should consider your commute and where you plan on working in Sacramento. If you are working in Folsom, then Folsom / Gold River area would be an ideal place to live.

If you work downtown Sacramento, then plan on commutting 45 mins or so to downtown w/out accidents. With accidents, add another 20 or 30 mins.
You may want to consider other locations closer to downtown.

"The only thing we can take with us from this life is the good that we have done to others."

"Our strength will be found in our charity." [Betty J. Eadie]

"Being a mom is the most rewarding job I have ever had!"

"SEMPER FIDELIS! USMC"

#8 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 11:02 AM

Architect02116,

Welcome to myfolsom.com.

I used to live in Boston too, about 4 years.

Folsom is like Bedford with a bit more traffic and houses, but I agree with c_vanderveen it is a perfect town. Rancho Cordova is not a good place to live. My area of Broadstone has a house for rent. The home is set in quiet cul-de-sac location.

biggrin.gif

#9 Architect02116

Architect02116

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 01:39 PM

Thank you all for your input. Trying to pick a place to live, site unseen, in a few days is a bit unnerving. Input from former New Englanders is especially appreciated.

Can anyone describe the Creekside Drive area in Folsom. There appears to be a few potential places to rent there. The Overlook at Blue Ravine and The Falls at River Creek are top contenders (without having seen either in person). We are a little cautious about this area, because our brief recollection of that area was that it was basically cleared land, densely clustered complexes wrapping the hillsides, and several huge electric towers strung across your whole view. I am hoping that we are picturing a different area because both the overlook and The Falls had other very appealing features.

Also, can anyone speak to the rattlesnake or pincher bug presence in the area...we've been reading some reviews on Aptratings.com that have us a little nervous.

Thank you all again..

peace.

Dan

#10 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 02:22 PM

Another comparison for Rancho Cordova would be Dorchester with less shootings.

Rattlesnakes not a big deal. In general you will like Folsom.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#11 Folsomite

Folsomite

Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 02:39 PM

Rattlers are here, but you shouldn't be scared about them. Do your neighbors a favor and if you do see one, find a safe way to kill it. In all honesty, if you ever got bit by a rattlesnake, the key is not to panic and seek medical attention. Panicking will make your blood flow faster and activate the venom. wink.gif
The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.

Ben Stein

#12 carlar1

carlar1

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 02:43 PM

Hi Dan,

It just so happens that I currently live at The Falls at Willow Creek on Creekside Drive. I highly recommend this community. The apartments are brand new and it's really nice to be the first person to live in the apartment. The property is nicely landscaped and well spread out. I looked around extensively at the other apartment communities in the area and none are as well maintained or as spread out as this one! There are lots of amenities including a 24 hour fitness facility that includes a boxing center which no one else in this area has. They have a beautiful pool area with a heated pool and jacuzzi as well as really nice BBQ's.

Folsom itself, is a beautiful area! It feels more like a small town than part of a big city. There is alot of new development happening here too. There are 2 brand new grocery stores, as well as a very nice shopping area right down the road on E. Bidwell. It's one of those places that pretty much "rolls up the sidewalks" at 9:00 pm. Very peaceful and serene.

I have yet to see any rattlesnakes or pincher bugs, but I have seen a couple of deer and jack rabbits in the large landscaped area at The Falls.

I definitely think that you should check out The Falls. Everyone that I have met here have been really nice and respectful. The staff is really nice too.

Take care and happy moving! biggrin.gif

#13 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 11 March 2003 - 06:11 PM

I've lived here 3 years and have yet to see a rattlesnake! I've only seen a handful of pincher bugs. The Falls is nice and new but new means immature landscaping. If you are looking for something that doesn't have that "newly constructed, barren" feel The Falls may not be for you despite the ammenities! I lived in the Pinnacles at Blue Ravine for three months with 2 kids, 2 cats and my husband, too (can't forget about him!). The bedrooms were large , the kitchen small but, all in all, the apartment was very comfortable. What I liked best about these apartments were that they backed up to wetlands and ponds. It was not unusual to see deer or wild turkey running through the property. I don't think the Willow Spings apartments are what you are looking for. They are on a main thorough fare and no mature landscaping. The Overlook Apartments are nice because there are a lot of old growth oak trees and it backs up to a creek bed. Good luck to you and your search for a rental. If you move here, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Folsom is a great place to live!
Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#14 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 07:02 PM

I would hope the majority of Folsom residents don't usually use ethnic labels or otherwise discriminatory comments (Rancho Cambodia). People who post on this site should check their biases - do you really want to convey such ignorance?

#15 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 06:22 AM

thank Terry for the reminder. It was just a careless mistake. I did not know that it's a ethnic label.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users