3 replies to this topic

#1 dagnyk

dagnyk

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 09:00 PM

Hi All,

I've heard rumors that there was discussion about putting a dog park in town. Since I have two Aussies looking to run and frolick, this would be wonderful. Has anyone heard whether this is fact or fiction?
blink.gif

#2 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 13 March 2003 - 11:42 AM

Dagnyk,
I am Secretary for FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners). We have been working with the city for over a year now trying to get a dog park. We are not the first group to give it a go. Previously, 3 sites have been turned down due to lack of organization and support and neighborhood complaints regarding the sites. We are a non-profit organization who want to sponsor a dog park here in Folsom. Unfortunatley, it is not a high priority with the city or Parks and Rec. We have presented twice to the Parks and Rec. commision. This last time we filled the City Council Chambers with over 100 pro dog park bodies!!! They agreed to form an Ad Hoc committee to work with us to identifiy a site because the Commisioner did not like our proposed site of Livermore Park. Well, they have sinced informed us that we will not be getting an Ad Hoc committee because we are not a priority. However, there is "talk" that they might include a dog park in the general plan for the new Empire Ranch Park. But of course, no guarantee that funds will be available to complete it. It is FIDO's intent, once a site has been identified, to help raise the funds necessary to complete the park. What we need now are more active bodies that are willing to let their voices be heard and help us champion the city for a much needed dog park! If you would like to get involved in our efforts and/or become a member of FIDO or if you would just like to make a donation, send me a private email (through this site) and I will provide you with more info.
Sincerely,
Nicole Brown
Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#3 dave

dave

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 08:23 PM

Don't wait until a site is identified to raise funds. Money talks, or at least will help convince the Parks & Rec. Commission and the City Council that you are serious and should be accommodated. A site may never be identified unless you show you are serious and that there is a real need and desire from a sizable number of residents. (advice from the inside)

#4 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 17 March 2003 - 01:44 PM

Thanks Dave. Unfortunately, people don't like to give you their money if you can't show them what it's going torwards. It's hard to convince people to donate their money when there is no certainty if or when the park will be built! FYI, the last group before FIDO managed to raise $4,000 that they gave to the city to go torwards the dog park. As far as we know it is still sitting in a bank account somewhere, or is it? Who knows. But we have already started fundraising on a small scale and will up the ante to bigger fundraisers soon.
Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users