Photo
- - - - -

What is downtown Sacramento commute like?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 04:18 PM

The options I see are:

Driving and paying daily for parking.
Driving and paying a monthly rate at a parking garage.
Parking at the Aquatic Center and taking the Downtown Commuter bus directly into town or the RT Bus to light rail in Rancho Cordova, then riding the light rail into downtown.
Driving to Rancho Cordova, parking at the light rail station and riding the light rail directly into downtown.

How does each compare in speed and cost?

What year will light rail expand into Folsom?

#2 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:24 PM

I highly recommend the commuter bus service from Lembi Park to downtown. Get an ID card from city hall to get the resident rate. It's very friendly convenient service.

Light Rail is scheduled for Folsom in 2006 and will replace the commuter bus service. Originally, Regional Transit's sales pitch to Folsom residents was express service from Folsom to downtown for commuters on Light Rail since they'll be taking the funds we now use for bus commuter service. But they've reneged on this express service (but not taking our money) so Light Rail service from Folsom to Sacramento will have all the stops in between here and there and be quite a bit slower than current commuter service. Watch for further degradation of services originally offered by Light Rail - such as those Folsom riders paying more than other riders along the route. I'm very skeptical that Folsom commuters will get good service at a fair price from Light Rail.

#3 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:49 PM

I have had opportunities to take the Lightrail and the commuter bus service from Lembi Park to downtown. Yes yes take the commuter bus service. I hate lightrail!!!!!! Lightrail is SLOW and full of people who made you feel nervous. There were incidents in the past when some of them pick fights with me, and of course I don't have time for that, walked away. I will hate when the lightrail will connect to Folsom.

Lighrail from Mather Field to downtown takes 40 minutes. That means when lightrail will connect to oldtown Folsom, it will take more than one hour going from Folsom to downtown Sac.

Bus from Lembi Park to downtown 35 minutes.

You may want to consider driving to downtown or carpooling. I am pretty lucky because I get free parking downtown......

Log on to www.1800commute.org to get information.

biggrin.gif

#4 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 08:48 PM

I personally think that if they could provide service similar to BART going downtown (including improved security), it would be ideal. I hope thry can improve light rail - it has so much potential but is not used much for a myriad of reasons. mellow.gif

#5 bettyemahan

bettyemahan

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 10:51 PM

A BART here?-------Dream on! Not in this lifetime! boohoo.gif

#6 matt

matt

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 08:51 AM

Only 35 minutes on the commuter bus from Folsom to downtown Sacramento during the morning rush hour commute sounds pretty good.

What is the monthly cost to park a car downtown in a lot?

#7 matt

matt

All Star

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Terry @ Mar 25 2003, 07:24 PM)
I highly recommend the commuter bus service from Lembi Park to downtown.  Get an ID card from city hall to get the resident rate.  It's very friendly convenient service.  

Light Rail is scheduled for Folsom in 2006 and will replace the commuter bus service.  Originally, Regional Transit's sales pitch to Folsom residents was express service from Folsom to downtown for commuters on Light Rail since they'll be taking the funds we now use for bus commuter service.  But they've reneged on this express service (but not taking our money) so Light Rail service from Folsom to Sacramento will have all the stops in between here and there and be quite a bit slower than current commuter service.  Watch for further degradation of services originally offered by Light Rail - such as those Folsom riders paying more than other riders along the route.  I'm very skeptical that Folsom commuters will get good service at a fair price from Light Rail.

Express light rail service would have been really great. It would be much faster and it wouldn't be picking up the undersireables that people are worried about on the stops between Rancho and Sacramento on the way to downtown, but I don't see how it could have been done without a completely separate track.
If it was on the same track, it would get caught up behind the light rail trains that do stop at every station.

#8 cybertrano

cybertrano

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:05 AM

I believe it's around $100.00/month.

Checkout Folsom City's website, link below:

http://www.folsom.ca...ex.asp?page=160

to get yourself a route map to make sure the bus stop at the right areas for you.

#9 Terry

Terry

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:06 AM

If you can find a downtown Sacramento parking lot that has monthly spaces available (they're limited), expect to pay close to $100.00 per month. Also, make sure you find out if you have a reserved space, first come, first serve, in and out privileges, weekend/evening privileges, etc. During some events like the Jazz Festival, monthly parking rights are suspended to accommodate tourists. Also, find out about security for the lot and its hours of operation.

I'm hoping you'll consider the commuter bus or other mass transportation rather than driving alone. Another positive aspect of the commuter bus is that you meet the nicest people!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users