• This topic is locked This topic is locked
380 replies to this topic

#376 NRB

NRB

Superstar

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Secretary, FIDO Inc. (Folsom Independent Dog Owners) dedicated to bringing a dog park to Folsom and promoting responsible dog ownership. www.fidoinc.org <br /><br />Secretary, Friends of Folsom Parkways

Posted 21 July 2004 - 02:55 PM

Clearwater, See my post in "Open topic". The information may be available on the internet but it is not free! Not to mention that not every family has a computer (that's why many go to the library for free internet access). Plus the info on the internet tends to be wide but not very deep. A little bit about everything but not enough about anything. On top of all of this the internet is still very confusing to a lot of people. Search engines turn up thousands of possibilities and make it very difficult to actually find exactly what you are looking for. I'd much rather use a card catalog any day! And who doesn't remember story time at the library as a kid? Libraries are vital in helping develop a life long love of reading in young children. My kids still consider it a thrill to go "check out " a book. Although we don't go as often as we should since the library we have is pathetic!!!!!

Oh, another great reason for libraries. They save trees! tongue.gif When you buy a book most don't ever reread it. The paper is now wasted unless you share your book with others! So check out a book and save a tree! biggrin.gif And build the darn library already!

Want a dog park in Folsom?
Go to www.FIDO Inc.org

#377 billsfan

billsfan

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 02:55 PM

Using a library, reading books, sharing in library story times, studying at the library - these are fundamentals for our childrens upbringing!!! Do I want my 4 and 1 year old perusing the Internet instead of going to a library? When my kids get older, do I want them staying at home in staring at a computer or studying with friends at the library (which also has Internet terminals)?

#378 Chad Vander Veen

Chad Vander Veen

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 02:56 PM

But clearwater, what about the poor and the down trodden? What about those who can not afford access to the internet? What the helll man, are you a Republican or something?

#379 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 02:58 PM

I think, or at least I hope, that they will have a nice computer section in the new library, with all the computers hooked up to the internet. Students that do not have computers at home, I guess there still are some, will have the chance to use the computer section of the library to do research and write papers for school or college.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#380 bishmasterb

bishmasterb

MyFolsom Loser

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (bordercolliefan @ Jul 21 2004, 02:07 PM)
I am shocked by those who feel a library is not an important or worthwhile project for the city to invest in... Libraries are the cornerstone of lifelong learning for kids and adults.

border,

Although I was joking when I suggested that an online library would suffice (although it may very well be a better alternative, I admit that the idea of not having a city library is a political and social impossibility).

Nonetheless, your assertion that it is the "cornerstone of lifelong learning for kids and adults" is a bit overstated as well. That may have been true in the past, but there are so many other options for learning available now that it is no longer true today. Anecdotally, I haven't set foot in a library in 20 years and I don't think my son has in his entire 11 years.

It certainly does provide a valueable service, but it is not the cornerstone that it once might have been.

#381 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:27 PM

Sorry if I was unclear...
Whoever is interested in furthering this discussion, please start a new thread as I am closing this. Please leave a link to this discussion to so people can see it, however newbies will likely see 19 pages and there's no way they're going to wade through that!!!

RIP to our longest thread - 19 pages. (sniff, sniff)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users