• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Obamacare is Here: Pay the Premium or Pay the Penalty

It is the rise of Obamacare-ageddon. Businesses are already cutting workers' hours and trimming payrolls as the greatly debated and highly anticipated Affordable Care Act becomes a reality October 1. State health care insurance exchanges will open and employers will be required to notify their workforces of available options. Nearly 12 million Americans that don't currently have health insurance will have three months to make a decision or pay a penalty. Let the havoc begin.

// go to the following website //

http://www.mainstree...oo&cm_ven=YAHOO

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#2 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

Obama is killing our country and the sad part is he has so many minions who just don't care about the future of our country.  They just want a "feel good" moment aka "lets help the poor" - not being able to realize that someone has to pay for it all and that's you and me.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#3 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

But, but, but...I thought I could keep my plan if I liked it...I thought I could keep my doctor if I liked him...I thought my premiums were going to go down...I thought there was going to be unlimited free healthcare for everyone...

I thought people weren't so STUPID as to believe what a politician tells them when it goes against all logic and common sense.

Actually, I didn't believe any of that. Why? Because I have more than half a brain that I exercise by applying a humongous BS filter woven of logic and experience to the soundbites and "news" that continually assaults me. Excuse me for a moment, my BS filter is due for a Cabernet back-flush...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#4 Homer

Homer

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

On the news the other day, I saw that Obama met with the big union bosses that he relied on to help pass the A.C.A. Apparently big labor is not happy with some of the unintended consequences of Obama care that they supported and were looking for exemptions and subsidies for their members.

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

#5 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

Just found out today at work that I have to pay $150 or so more a month on top of what I already pay because my spouse is eligible for insurance through their work (but we decline) but we get it through my work.   So another  $1800 out of my pocket every year.  Thanks O'bummer and everybody reading this who voted for him...!   Well done...!   Chris

1A - 2A = -1A

#6 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

My wife and I, both retired. We are both on Medicare and being retired military we now also have Tricare For Life.

Is Obamacare going to be a problem for us?

Do we need to purchase more insurance and be affected by Obamacare?

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

#7 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

THANK YOU President Obama and the U.S. Congress for ensuring that my sister and others like her will be able to have health coverage.  My sister is an elder care giver who works 45 hours a week and makes about $10 per hour.  Her employer doesn't offer health insurance and she can't afford the full cost of private health insurance, especially now that she is age 50. 

Glad that you all are so well-off and have always had such great jobs that you have no trouble getting health insurance.  Must be nice to be you!!  I would love it if my sister could have a cushy office job with full benefits, but having been learning-disabled (what they used to call "slow") her whole life, that wasn't in the cards for her. 

Perhaps you can find it within you to think generously toward my sister and others in the same boat instead of grousing about the expansion of basic health care... she may be taking care of you when you are old or sick!!

#8 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

I found this calculator to help understand your costs.

Subsidy Calculator

It is kind of fun to run various numbers like an average family of four here in California making the state average of about $52K per year would pay a premium of $12,718, or nearly 25% of their gross income on health insurance.  You then would get a tax credit up to $9,063 to offset the cost.  However, since it is a tax credit and given the marginal rate is 22%, I believe that actual deduction about is something like $1993.  I also believe the taxes paid on that amount of income is something like $6,450 so your new amount of taxes paid would be around $4,456.

So if my numbers are correct, that family of four would pay about $10,725, or about 20% of their gross income for the insurance.

(I am not an accountant.  If my numbers are off please let me know.  I really was trying to be accurate in the calculations.)

#9 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

While I'm not an expert, I think you misunderstand the nature of a "tax credit."  Unlike a tax deduction, a credit comes right off the net taxes you owe the government.  Thus, the 22% has no relevance.  This family would pay about $3k for the insurance after the subsidy. 

#10 Chris

Chris

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,857 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

THANK YOU President Obama and the U.S. Congress for ensuring that my sister and others like her will be able to have health coverage.  My sister is an elder care giver who works 45 hours a week and makes about $10 per hour.  Her employer doesn't offer health insurance and she can't afford the full cost of private health insurance, especially now that she is age 50. 

Glad that you all are so well-off and have always had such great jobs that you have no trouble getting health insurance.  Must be nice to be you!!  I would love it if my sister could have a cushy office job with full benefits, but having been learning-disabled (what they used to call "slow") her whole life, that wasn't in the cards for her. 

Perhaps you can find it within you to think generously toward my sister and others in the same boat instead of grousing about the expansion of basic health care... she may be taking care of you when you are old or sick!!

Actually you should thank me, I'm paying for it, not Mr. Obummer...........!  Another $1800 out of my wallet come next year.....     People like your sister deserve our support, I'm 100% for that.....! It's the other 95% of the able bodied turds out there that have never done anything to improve themselves, no education, lots of partying, too many tattoos, who expect me to pay for their run down bodies and rehabs by the time they are 50. Sorry, so tired of being penalized for my success, sacrifice, hard work, pulling more midnight shifts in 20 year than I can remember, and seeing dirt bags rewarded for their failure. Our country, and the democrats need to change before we go underwater........

1A - 2A = -1A

#11 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:44 AM

Actually you should thank me, I'm paying for it, not Mr. Obummer...........!  Another $1800 out of my wallet come next year.....     People like your sister deserve our support, I'm 100% for that.....! It's the other 95% of the able bodied turds out there that have never done anything to improve themselves, no education, lots of partying, too many tattoos, who expect me to pay for their run down bodies and rehabs by the time they are 50. Sorry, so tired of being penalized for my success, sacrifice, hard work, pulling more midnight shifts in 20 year than I can remember, and seeing dirt bags rewarded for their failure. Our country, and the democrats need to change before we go underwater........

Yes, I agree with you.  People should have to work to get benefits, even if we have to make up jobs for them (like a public works program). 

A few weeks ago, I was at the barn carrying tack for my daughter, and another mom (early 40's) was doing the same.  As we carried heavy saddles down the barn aisle, she was explaining to me that she needed to be careful in her divorce not to jeopardize her $800/month "permanent disability" payment.  WTH???? 

I want to make sure the deserving (like my sister and the many other working poor) have their basic human needs met, but I don't want to reward people who are lazy and irresponsible.  Just cutting the programs hurts the deserving as well as the undeserving.  What we need is better fraud detection, maybe?? 

#12 Carl G

Carl G

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

While I'm not an expert, I think you misunderstand the nature of a "tax credit."  Unlike a tax deduction, a credit comes right off the net taxes you owe the government.  Thus, the 22% has no relevance.  This family would pay about $3k for the insurance after the subsidy. 

Oops! LOL.  I really do know the difference between a tax credit and a tax deduction.  That difference certainly makes your math easier than mine.  I'm feeling like Froggy right about now, a little more red in the face than green.

I don't know if this is in ObamaCare now, but I'm guessing it will show up in the next sever years if it isn't.  The tax deduction will be reduced on a graduated scale based on your income.

#13 The Average Joe

The Average Joe

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 7,155 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

Yes, I agree with you.  People should have to work to get benefits, even if we have to make up jobs for them (like a public works program). 

A few weeks ago, I was at the barn carrying tack for my daughter, and another mom (early 40's) was doing the same.  As we carried heavy saddles down the barn aisle, she was explaining to me that she needed to be careful in her divorce not to jeopardize her $800/month "permanent disability" payment.  WTH???? 

I want to make sure the deserving (like my sister and the many other working poor) have their basic human needs met, but I don't want to reward people who are lazy and irresponsible.  Just cutting the programs hurts the deserving as well as the undeserving.  What we need is better fraud detection, maybe?? 

I wholeheartedly agree. My experience over many years has been a small percentage of folks receiving benefits are truly needy. Most are similar to the people I worked for two weeks ago. They had a 47" flat screen (with netflix), PS3, laptop, multiple smart phones and several pairs of Nikes...and yet they supposedly couldn't afford to feed their kids. The kid said he was hungry, and they replied he could eat at school. BTW, there was food in the fridge. Your tax dollars at work.

We are subsidizing the middle class. We not only have to have better fraud detection, we have to move the line for what qualifies as needy.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive" -- C.S. Lewis

If the only way to combat "global warming" was to lower taxes, we would never hear of the issue again. - Anonymous

"Society in every state is a blessing, but Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one" — Thomas Paine, 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘰𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘦 (1776)

#14 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

1237108_10153264781615494_2123781148_n.p

Svzr2FS.jpg

#15 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar