4 replies to this topic

#1 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

There's a little run down sandwich shop in a little run down strip mall on the border of O'Vale and Folsom on Greenback. I love this little hole-in-the-wall.

Run by a mom and a pop (although, I'm not really sure if they have children, if they do they're probably grown by now), Fat Sandwich serves up soups, salads, and deli style sandwiches. It's by no means a fancy place. The 70s wood-paneled walls are covered with 80s beer logo mirrors. There's 2 or 3 booths with another 2 or three mismatched tables in the front, and a back room that I'm too scared to look into. I remember they had a fortune telling scale that used to make me smile, but I don't recall if it was still there the last time we went (last week).

But that doesn't matter. The food rocks. It's the Ike's Deli of Orangevale (sorta).
It's not gourmet froo-froo first date impressive good, but it's I worked all morning, I'm sweaty, haven't had a shower and need something to eat good.

They serve both hot and cold sandwiches (mostly cold, and I think the hot comes straight from the microwave), in a half and whole size. There is also a salad bar (why is that so rare near Folsom?), and a soup of the day. I forget the exact prices, but I'm pretty certain you can go in with a 5 dollar bill and leave satisfied. (You might need 6 or 7 dollars if you're a lumberjack).

They also have BEER! YAY! But not snooty micro-brew snob beer that I like. BOO! I remember seeing Bud Lite, Corona, maybe a Heineken. If they'd only stock up on some porters or stouts or amber ales, you might not be able to keep me away.

So while it's not much to look at from the outside, and it's no better when you get it, don't overlook Fat Sandwich for a quick bite to eat when you're in the area. As a young man said to his river-rat friends coming in as we were leaving last time, "This place is an Orangevale staple. You're gonna love it!"

Fat Sandwich
9477 Greenback Lane
Folsom, CA 95630
(916) 989-5799
open for lunch 5 or 6 days a week.

#2 Oldschooler81

Oldschooler81

Lived in Orangevale from 1991-1996.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Music and movies (especially anything '80s), computers, thrift shopping, talking and hanging out with people, writing, geography, mini golf, etc. Anything from the past interests me too, of course!

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

I'm pretty sure I never went in my day (obviously I was too young to drink in the 90s, haha), but your description makes it sound awesome. Nice to know they're not razing and modernizing everywhere, and there's a certain human quality mom and pop places you just don't get in chains. When it comes to restaurants, I think the food actually tastes better, maybe because they have more freedom to use their own recipes, and it's also not so insanely busy they have to go nonstop.

EDIT: pulling it up on google street view, and wow, it really feels like I'm back home again! smile.gif Funny, because if I spin it just across the street, the American River Plaza is like futuristic AND dead looking lol, but turning it around makes it look like 1994 again (aside from the cars, etc).

#3 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

Any relation to the Fat Sandwich that used to be off Blue Ravine at Folsom Blvd?
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#4 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (mylo @ Jul 15 2010, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any relation to the Fat Sandwich that used to be off Blue Ravine at Folsom Blvd?

No idea. How long ago was that? Are you sure you're not thinking of Mamma Ann's? Fat Sandwich in O'vale has been there for the 11 years I've been in town, and I haven't seen another one. (and Old Schooler, Fat Sammich is by no means a bar. Just a working man's sammich place that has beer next to the sodas in the cooler)

#5 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (MrsTuffPaws @ Jul 15 2010, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No idea. How long ago was that? Are you sure you're not thinking of Mamma Ann's? Fat Sandwich in O'vale has been there for the 11 years I've been in town, and I haven't seen another one. (and Old Schooler, Fat Sammich is by no means a bar. Just a working man's sammich place that has beer next to the sodas in the cooler)

Oh, wait, that was Long Sandwich.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users