7 replies to this topic

#1 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

That bank robbery in Stockton today was horribly violent. Could any police on the forum weigh in on the use of force during the hostage taking and chase? I thought it was a little reckless to be shooting back in a running gun battle through crowded residential streets. And the hail of bullets into a car with an innocent victim? Wow.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#2 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:07 AM

That bank robbery in Stockton today was horribly violent. Could any police on the forum weigh in on the use of force during the hostage taking and chase? I thought it was a little reckless to be shooting back in a running gun battle through crowded residential streets. And the hail of bullets into a car with an innocent victim? Wow.

Yeah, and all that for some money, and a couple of losers who would have run out of gas eventually. I say corner them and put them at a total standstill until they come out on their own. No pressure. Also no food or drink. Hostage as well. Hostage dies it was by their actions and choices and they get to go to jail for it, regardless of police policy on reckless persuit. Way too cavalier with value of human life in that chase. 

#3 TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

^ Agree with supermom.  The cops should not have shot at the suspects car and engaged in a gun battle while hostages were still in the car and while the suspects were close to homes etc. Did you hear about all the gun shots found in local cars and homes?  The hostage was likely killed by police gunfire and not by the suspects.

I was very glad to hear on the news today that the 2nd suspect died this morning. Scum like that do not deserve to live and it's ridiculous that our courts do not dole out harsher punishments for gang banging murderers.  All gang members arrested for assault and/or murder should be given immediate death sentences - take them out back and hang them or put a bullet in their heads.  It's the only way to teach those monsters that crime is not acceptable.  Currently with murderers only getting a few years in Club Fed, there is no incentive for them to obey the laws, they get to go see friends and family while in prison and with all the benefits they get it's Club Fed, not harsh prison time.

It sickens me that our borders are wide open and these monsters are sneaking into our country every single day with their only goals being rob and kill people.  Mexican gang bangers should all be shot and terminated.  They do not deserve to live. the world is too small for their hatred - the are as bad as Hamas if not worse.

Svzr2FS.jpg

#4 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

The news reports said that two of the hostages either jumped or were thrown out of the vehicle during the chase.  I'm wondering if the pursuing officers didn't have an accurate count on the number of hostages and thought there were none left in the vehicle???   

I kind of feel like the cops are darned if they do and darned if they don't in those situations.  If they didn't aggressively pursue the suspects to try and get the hostages back they would be criticized.  If they didn't fire back and let the scum continue shooting up a neighborhood - reports are the bank robbers had ample ammunition - then they'd be criticized for letting it go on too long.

It's so sad and senseless and all for what was probably very little money.

#5 mac_convert

mac_convert

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

The bank was set to close permanently on Friday. It was a tragic sequence of events that happened, but the robbers were strapped with ammunition and AK47 like guns so they were likely never going to surrender peacefully. The robbers used the third hostage, a bank customer, as a shield. I agree with Ducky that police will never get the "good end of the stick" because either side will always feel something different should have been done. Let's not put the guilt on the police as they were only protecting themselves and the citizens of Stockton. The finger pointing and criticism should go to the robbers because without them this incident would have never happened!

#6 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

I just think they could have pursued without returning fire until they got out of the residential areas.  and they knew there was another hostage in the car when they let fly with the barrage of gun fire.  I would hope for better if it were my family in there.

Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#7 Homer

Homer

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

I just think they could have pursued without returning fire until they got out of the residential areas.  and they knew there was another hostage in the car when they let fly with the barrage of gun fire.  I would hope for better if it were my family in there.

http://blog.sfgate.c...out/#25159101=0

Unfortunately in situations like this one there is not much the responding Officers can do to guarantee a good outcome, In the reports that have come out so far it appears the suspects were three gang members that were intent on not just robbing a bank but also getting into a shootout with the Police. A few of the details that stood out to me are,

* One witness stated that when the suspects were leaving the bank they didn't seem to care about the police presence.

^ At one point during the chase the suspects lost the pursuing officers and instead of using this as an opportunity to escape, They re positioned their vehicle to ambush responding officers.

* The suspects were randomly firing at at houses and cars for the duration of the chase, Although i don't know for sure i find it highly unlikely that the pursuing officers were randomly firing back at the suspects.

* It appears that one of the suspects may have used the hostage that was killed as a shield. 

My gut feeling is that this incident is a result of three methed-up gangbangers going on a mission to make a name for themselves. I do feel bad for the victims of this senseless crime. 

#8 camay2327

camay2327

GO NAVY

• 11,481 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

I don't understand that with all the technology we have in this country/world that they haven't

designed a system that the police could utilize either from the air, or from a police car,

that could be aimed at the escape vehicle and shut it down. Turn the engine off with

some type of electromechanical device aimed at the vehicle.

It just makes to much sense not to have something like that.

A VETERAN Whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount "up to and including their life". That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author unknown-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users