#16 UnionBlondie16

UnionBlondie16

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(Kirah @ Jul 31 2006, 11:58 AM) View Post

I have had pretty good luck at Chez TJ's and they take atm and credit cards.....Salon dolce Vita makes you bring in cash or checks and I have noticed Maribou's prices are one of the most expensive in Folsom....I personally think $140 for cut and color is too much.

I know where all of these places are. But I am also looking for a good stylist for highlights and cut. How pricey are these places? I went to Ulta when I first moved out here about 7 months ago & it cost me $160 for highlights, lowlights & a cut. That is insanely high. I got all that done for less than $80 back home. So, I guess what I'm asking for is a good place to go that doesn't cost a fortune. Anyone?
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#17 Kirah

Kirah

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(john @ Jul 31 2006, 11:06 AM) View Post

They closed down. California Board Life is there now.

I just called Chez TJ's and no such problem.....so they are fine and I have never had a problem there.....hair and color cost me about $120. Folsom and surrounding areas seem to be quite high for hair prices....

#18 Dr. Folsom

Dr. Folsom

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:22 PM

Maribou's prices are on the high side but they have all of they best local talent there. It is by far the best salon in the Sacramento area.

#19 Kirah

Kirah

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(Dr. Folsom @ Jul 31 2006, 10:22 PM) View Post

Maribou's prices are on the high side but they have all of they best local talent there. It is by far the best salon in the Sacramento area.

Well I guess if you are a Doctor then price is not a problem but for those of us who are of the unemployed technology persuasion.....Maribou is too expensive...sorry just the facts.

#20 mcgee23

mcgee23

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 12:19 PM

Margaret at Original Shears on Blue Ravine (near Tahoe Joes) is excellent for style and color. That is an Aveda salon and she has been Aveda-trained for many years. She's not cheap though. I get a partial highlight and cut and pay about $130.

#21 UnionBlondie16

UnionBlondie16

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:16 PM

So, I now know all of the expensive places in town... Can I get some in the price range of a 17 year old using daddy's money? =P
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#22 Dr. Folsom

Dr. Folsom

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(Kirah @ Aug 2 2006, 09:48 AM) View Post

Well I guess if you are a Doctor then price is not a problem but for those of us who are of the unemployed technology persuasion.....Maribou is too expensive...sorry just the facts.

I like good haircuts, you get what you pay for. I

#23 UnionBlondie16

UnionBlondie16

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

Went to Natalie at ANewYou Salon. Great experience. =)
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#24 Barb J

Barb J

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:44 PM

I just went to see Debi Burke at Dolce vita and paid $120 for a full highlight and cut. I HIGHLY recommend Debi! If you see her, tell her Barb sent her another one smile.gif

Barb

#25 GrifnRob's mom

GrifnRob's mom

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE(Barb J @ Aug 11 2006, 02:44 PM) View Post

I just went to see Debi Burke at Dolce vita and paid $120 for a full highlight and cut. I HIGHLY recommend Debi! If you see her, tell her Barb sent her another one smile.gif

Barb

There's a reason Salon Dolce Vita was voted top Folsom salon this year (besting Hoshall's!!). I was a dedicated Hoshall's client for nearly 12 years, but took a chance on Dolce Vita about 3 years ago. I use Marnie who is professional, excellent, fun, nice and considerate. I put myself into her hands every six weeks for either a full or partial weave and cut. It's $125, I think. The one time I wasn't quite happy with the color, Marnie redid it....for free!!

And, they sometimes serve Best Cookies biggrin.gif

#26 Lisa

Lisa

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(Kirah @ Aug 2 2006, 09:48 AM) View Post

Hi, I'm a stylist at Maribou and I just couldn't resist responding to this topic.
We are all independent contractors, so that means we rent our stations, and are able to set our own prices. If you have experienced that our prices are higher than average, that could be based on who did your service. Personally I charge 100 for a partial highlight with a cut, and 120 for a full with a cut. Most people only ever need a partial because I am very generous with my foils.
Since we opened our doors 3 months ago, we have hosted Vidal Sasson for a 3 day masters cutting class, Redken for haircoloring workshops, a barbering class for men's hair design, not to mention numerous product knowledge classes from Pureology, Bumble and Bumble, and Redken.
We have 18 stylists who have come here from the best salons in town (including some of the ones mentioned earlier in this topic) and we share the common desire of giving our clients a consistently great experience.
Additionally, many of us, including myself, work late evenings and weekends. Also, many of us, including myself, accept credit and debit cards.

~ Lisa Maechler

#27 POConnor

POConnor

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Wine, golfing, gardening, wakeboarding, wine, cooking, wine...hmmm did I mention I like wine?

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:35 AM

Hi there,
I moved to Folsom about 2 years ago. Having had my hair done in San Jose before and continually paying $140 I was a bit suprised to find Folsom much cheaper. I go to Danielle at Salon Dolce Vita. She is wonderful and I found her because I asked a girl about who did her hair (her hair was fantastic). Danielle is very sweet, always up for a hair challenge (when I decide to go from blonde to brown and back to blonde in the matter of months), listens carefully to what you're looking for, and is always up to suggesting what she thinks would look good.
She is very reasonable and you can't beat her personality. I would highly recommend her to anyone.

As for a good manicure pedicure...if you want it to last more than a few days I'd suggest purchasing a really good top coat to bring with you.
Seche Vite top coat Seche Vite is the first single procedure dry fast, non-yellowing top coat ever and is still the number one selling top in the professional industry after fourteen years and ten consecutive InStyle magazine “Best Beauty Buys” awards 1996-2005″.

#28 Kirah

Kirah

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(Lisa @ Aug 16 2006, 11:05 PM) View Post

Hi, I'm a stylist at Maribou and I just couldn't resist responding to this topic.
We are all independent contractors, so that means we rent our stations, and are able to set our own prices. If you have experienced that our prices are higher than average, that could be based on who did your service. Personally I charge 100 for a partial highlight with a cut, and 120 for a full with a cut. Most people only ever need a partial because I am very generous with my foils.
Since we opened our doors 3 months ago, we have hosted Vidal Sasson for a 3 day masters cutting class, Redken for haircoloring workshops, a barbering class for men's hair design, not to mention numerous product knowledge classes from Pureology, Bumble and Bumble, and Redken.
We have 18 stylists who have come here from the best salons in town (including some of the ones mentioned earlier in this topic) and we share the common desire of giving our clients a consistently great experience.
Additionally, many of us, including myself, work late evenings and weekends. Also, many of us, including myself, accept credit and debit cards.

~ Lisa Maechler

Lisa,

I appreciate your post. I recently called Maribou and asked them for a cut, color and highlight...I have medium short hair---almost to the base of my neck....I was quoted: $150. So $120 is much better. Perhaps the girl answering the phone needs some education on her prices....because if I had this experience...you can bet your bottom dollar others have....fyi..

#29 newtothis

newtothis

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE(Kirah @ Sep 4 2006, 07:16 PM) View Post

Lisa,

I appreciate your post. I recently called Maribou and asked them for a cut, color and highlight...I have medium short hair---almost to the base of my neck....I was quoted: $150. So $120 is much better. Perhaps the girl answering the phone needs some education on her prices....because if I had this experience...you can bet your bottom dollar others have....fyi..

Thanks for that feedback. It is always interesting to hear what people have experienced. I'm sad to say that I have heard it before.
Our receptionists usually will just add up the a la carte price of each service to come up with a total, which means they are quoting the highest possible price over the phone. The way to get a more realistic price (and also get a feel for the salon) is to come in for a consultation, which is always free! Anyone can drop in at their own convenience to see a stylist who will look at their hair and answer all of their questions. If someone is referred to a particular stylist, they would need to check on that persons availability, but still there is no charge for talking to them about your hair!
Also, just a sideline... we have a website... www.maribouspasalon.com
Go there and click on "our team" Each of us has and email address that you can use to contact us directly, plus a link to our bio's, etc.
Thanks again for your feedback! ~ Lisa Maechler

#30 consumer

consumer

Netizen

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:33 PM

[size=2][font=Comic Sans Ms]
QUOTE(cw68 @ Jul 31 2006, 09:39 AM) View Post

I had one good experience at the Grand Salon and one HORRIBLE one, too. In fact, I have a free mani/pedi sitting there waiting for me that I refuse to use. They lost my business, and it's too bad for both of us because they are just a couple blocks from me and I like to get pampered.

Being fairly new in the area, I thought I would try the new salon, Maribou. I was totally unimpressed! I'm from San Francisco where there are many awesome sylists/colorists and this place (Maribou) appeared to have an upscale vibe as well. Boy what a let down. Without naming names, I did go to a sylist who "didn't charge as much as some of the others" but what a mistake that was!! She ruined my hair. Most likely because I later found out she had very little experience even doing hair. Apparently she worked in another salon providing a much different service than hair and it truly showed. My suggestion would be that if you choose to go here, make sure you get someone who has been doing hair for a minimum of 5 or 6 years. The price each stylist charges may be a good indicator as to how much experience they have and in this case, fork out the extra cash as it's better that getting your hair totally ruined!! I'm still looking for a new place to go to, but in the meantime, I'm commuting to SF for now!![font=Comic Sans Ms][font=Comic Sans Ms]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users