- - - - -

Food Trucks In Folsom

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Food gets taxed? Never seen that before so why should it apply to food trucks that partnered with cooperative places that let them park there?

#17 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

Food gets taxed? Never seen that before so why should it apply to food trucks that partnered with cooperative places that let them park there?

To Go Food always is taxed - not sure about in a restaurant as I have not been to one in many years - but even subway charges tax

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#18 jpow5

jpow5

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

If you eat at a "regular" restaurant, there is a tax. In fact, if you double the tax and round-up, it's an easy way to calculate a tip.
I think it even applies to to-go items. So, I'd guess that the food trucks either also had the tax, or it is built into their prices. BOE is going to get their money one way or another.

#19 john

john

Founder

• Admin
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

I've never understood the rub about food trucks... I think they should be encouraged. There should be a way to charge tax and make everyone happy.

If you go to downtown Portland you'll see them everywhere. Some parking lots are dedicated to semi-permanent trucks. It adds to the ambiance and flavor of the city. Jamba Juice and Togo's have their place, but more impressive to me are the one-man delis and roach coaches that encourage a little variety.

#20 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

They most definitely would be paying their sales tax to the BOE (assuming they are legit). At a minimum, it would be the base state rate. Things like internet businesses don't collect the additional local tax of the place they are selling to, even if it is within CA. So, if I sell something to someone in L.A., I collect and pay the base state rate, not the L.A. or even the Sac County rate since my business is not located in L.A.

The tricky part that I am not sure of is if having a mobile truck in Folsom means that they must track and report the sales as if they had a fixed location in Folsom. If so, they would need to tag all sales records with the location they were at when they sold it, then pay the appropriate sales tax for that district. Unfortunately, the "district" in this case would be Sacramento County on the sales tax return, not Folsom specifically.

I'm also unsure of how, in general, Folsom's portion of Sac County sales taxes is determined. Since Folsom doesn't have a special District Tax in addition to the base Sac County rate, we must only be receiving our cut from the county's cut. If it is determined by business address, then the trucks would report the sales as being in Sac County and Folsom would not get anything unless the truck had a business address in Folsom?

I really don't know anything about how the tax revenues are passed on to the city, but I think this is where Folsom misses out. Sac County gets their cut and we don't, is my guess.
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#21 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

I know you guys want to encourage small business....I'm ok with that, but I don't see the attraction of a gut truck sitting next to a Wholefoods; and within arms throw of quite a few fast food and sit down restaurants.Is this some sort of response to them being banned from being near schools? Just weird.

I'm used to seeing them near ball fields, construction sites, and over near the college. Not in a shopping mall. To me, that's just weird. Not that it bugs me or anything, just think it weird.

#22 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

It's not wierd it's business

#23 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

I stopped in with my daughter as an event; I wouldn't have taken her to dinner at a fast food or sit down restaurant at that time. Regardless, I see them as alternatives to fast food. I will always chose to support a locally owned business (especially if it's creative like Volkswaffle, so awesome!) over a chain like McDonalds.

#24 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

They're baaaaack! Tonight. Green Acres near Costco.

Posted Image
"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!" -- George Carlin

#25 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

How can you know more in advance when these trucks will be here? It seems there should be a better way to get the word out;)
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#26 Devdave

Devdave

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

You can always follow them on Facebook: SactoMofo

#27 AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

AMETHYST PRODUCTIVITY

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

There's a big food truck event in Sacramento on 12/1 to raise money for children's charities. It's a competition and will center around the ingredients pork and honey.

Posted Image

Kimberly Purcell
Productivity Consultant - Amethyst Productivity

#28 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

You can always follow them on Facebook: SactoMofo

Yep. That's how I find out. I follow a few favorite trucks, too. It's nice to know if one happens to be in an area of town when I'm there for some reason.

#29 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

I checked out Krush Burger and Crave Taco today (Prospect and White Rock). I had the Krush burgers and sweet potato tots and a couple tailgating there in the parking lot said that 1-2 food trucks are always there every Wed and for the past 4-5 wks, 5 trucks every Friday for lunch. Sometimes they are on Pyrites Way in RC too but rarely get out to Folsom for lunch :(

He also said there are 2 or 3 "food organizations" in Sac. SactoMoFo, GoFoodMob and another he couldnt think of. GoFoodMob is a larger org with several vendors. You can find them on Facebook (foodmob), Twitter and of course the web sites. Subscribe to the org and favorite trucks for their locations and large events.

SactoMoFo held evening events in Folsom Green Acres, Whole Foods but GoFoodMob recently held an event at KinderCare in Folsom Oct 19th. Bummer missed that one.

#30 SacKen

SacKen

Lifer

• Premium Member
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

I checked out Krush Burger and Crave Taco today (Prospect and White Rock). I had the Krush burgers and sweet potato tots and a couple tailgating there in the parking lot said that 1-2 food trucks are always there every Wed and for the past 4-5 wks, 5 trucks every Friday for lunch. Sometimes they are on Pyrites Way in RC too but rarely get out to Folsom for lunch :(

He also said there are 2 or 3 "food organizations" in Sac. SactoMoFo, GoFoodMob and another he couldnt think of. GoFoodMob is a larger org with several vendors. You can find them on Facebook (foodmob), Twitter and of course the web sites. Subscribe to the org and favorite trucks for their locations and large events.

SactoMoFo held evening events in Folsom Green Acres, Whole Foods but GoFoodMob recently held an event at KinderCare in Folsom Oct 19th. Bummer missed that one.

Thanks for the info on GoFoodMob! I didn't realize there were competing gangs and the trucks had to claim a set to be part of an event. I always wondered why some trucks I see around are never part of the SactoMoFo events!

BTW, tried Krush Burger for the first time at Green Acres last week. Pretty good. Those sweet potato tots were freakin' awesome.

EDIT: their Facebook thing is actually "SacFoodMob"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users