19 replies to this topic

#1 Molly

Molly

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

I've posted several lost dog signs around Natoma Station and they keep being taken down. Maybe it's the postman or someone from the city, but if it's someone who's reading this, can you please leave them up? We haven't gotten any clues about our dog and we're really hoping that maybe someone in the neighborhood has seen him. He could be gone by now, but we miss him and we're not ready to give up on him yet. Thank you.

Attached File  atcherbody.jpg   42.8K   12 downloads

#2 momof1

momof1

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

I've posted several lost dog signs around Natoma Station and they keep being taken down. Maybe it's the postman or someone from the city, but if it's someone who's reading this, can you please leave them up? We haven't gotten any clues about our dog and we're really hoping that maybe someone in the neighborhood has seen him. He could be gone by now, but we miss him and we're not ready to give up on him yet. Thank you.

Attached File  atcherbody.jpg   42.8K   12 downloads

believe it or not, there is a city ordinance on signs and most likely your signs are in violation as are all signs that people attach to light poles and mail boxes.

#3 Molly

Molly

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:29 PM

believe it or not, there is a city ordinance on signs and most likely your signs are in violation as are all signs that people attach to light poles and mail boxes.

I figured as much, but the animal control officer for the city recommended that we post signs, so I'm going to keep posting them even if they get taken down. Thanks for the info.

#4 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

I figured as much, but the animal control officer for the city recommended that we post signs, so I'm going to keep posting them even if they get taken down. Thanks for the info.

Yes, she recommends that owners of lost pets post signs, but where you post them is another matter. You can ask businesses for their permission to post them in store windows and ask neighbors/local homeowners if you can post signs on realtor-type stakes on their lawns. City officials will take down signs that don't comply with city ordinance. Keep track of where you post signs so you can collect them later -- hopefully when your pet is found. :)
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

#5 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

I've always thought This site had helpful tips for how to make an effective lost pet sign.

Good luck.

#6 giacomo

giacomo

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Wine, good food, goof friends traveling to Hawaii, soccer, 70's/80's music, , Lake Tahoe

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

Don't post/tape them on any of the art pieces on Turnpike in Natoma Station. City is really cracking down on any signs taped on/near any of the art. Over the years art pieces have taken a beating. Lot of damage to bigfoot park and bunny park in Natoma Station. Not to mention the seasonal decor on the monkey sculpture on Fantages. It's cute, but it has damaged the sculpture.
I hope you find your dog. Have you checked the local animal shelters?

#7 Molly

Molly

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for all the info! I had only posted them on mailboxes, utility boxes, and some light poles, not on the artwork. Unfortunately, most businesses aren't really willing to let us post flyers unless they have a bulletin board, and only a couple of them do. I have been checking shelter websites throughout Northern CA and Craigslist on a daily basis, but so far nothing. He's a shy dog, so he could be roaming around and staying away from people (although I'm concerned about all of the predators in the area). We'd prefer to think that someone took him in, although he was wearing a collar with ID tags, so I would hope they'd call. We're really hoping he'll turn up.

#8 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for all the info! I had only posted them on mailboxes, utility boxes, and some light poles, not on the artwork. Unfortunately, most businesses aren't really willing to let us post flyers unless they have a bulletin board, and only a couple of them do. I have been checking shelter websites throughout Northern CA and Craigslist on a daily basis, but so far nothing. He's a shy dog, so he could be roaming around and staying away from people (although I'm concerned about all of the predators in the area). We'd prefer to think that someone took him in, although he was wearing a collar with ID tags, so I would hope they'd call. We're really hoping he'll turn up.

Was he licensed? Have you checked with the Sacramento Animal Control center? If licensed, I think they are required to keep your dog for 30 days, but they won't necessarily call you to tell you they have him.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

#9 folsom500

folsom500

Folsom Gardner

• 6,562 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Was he licensed? Have you checked with the Sacramento Animal Control center? If licensed, I think they are required to keep your dog for 30 days, but they won't necessarily call you to tell you they have him.

That is kind of Stupid if it is the policy... Keep them 30 days when they can contact you the day they find him/her ?

I bet most pets are not licensed and like bicycles- what is the point ? Just put a collar with tags and get the pet chipped .

Harold- Now I understand what you are saying about the 30 days- keep for 30 days as opposed to putting it down... Right ?

Another great  day in the adventure of exploration and sight.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
-Margaret Mead-

#10 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

That is kind of Stupid if it is the policy... Keep them 30 days when they can contact you the day they find him/her ?

I bet most pets are not licensed and like bicycles- what it the point ? Just put a collar with tags and get the pet chipped .

The point is because it is the law. The point is because it is a money revenue for the animal shelters in the county. And because When you lose your dog and must go to a shelter to retrieve it, they charge you an astronomical fee for not having had the dog licensed.

#11 Harold

Harold

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

I bet most pets are not licensed and like bicycles- what it the point ? Just put a collar with tags and get the pet chipped .

I don't know if it is their written official policy, but it's what they told me year's ago when I had to pick up my dog from the Sacramento Animal Control. They told me they aren't required to contact the registered pet owner. I thought WTF am I paying for a license for, but I guess an unlicensed pet can be put down in 24 hours while a licensed one gets a mandatory 30 days for the owner to show up before the death sentence.

I believe Cindy in Folsom probably works to contact the pet owners if she gets a licensed pet, but the county I don't think is as caring towards the animals they get.
Where have all the flowers gone?
Posted Image

#12 Molly

Molly

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

He is licensed in Sac County and wearing the tag (although I didn't realize we had to get him a separate license for Folsom when we moved here, will do that if he comes back). My husband actually checked the Bradshaw Shelter and the SPCA yesterday and no luck. You'd think with all of the overcrowded shelters they'd call if a pet is wearing ID tags, but they're also pretty busy and understaffed, so we won't assume that.

#13 MrsTuffPaws

MrsTuffPaws

Crazy Lady

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

I have been checking shelter websites throughout Northern CA and Craigslist on a daily basis, but so far nothing.

These places tend to be understaffed, and under-modernized. A good old fashioned phone call a day will be much more effective than checking a website. Be a polite pest to all the shelters and vets and rescues in a 5 mile radius of your home.

#14 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

This town is so effing anal sometimes it's embarrassing.

It's a lost dog flier, lighten up!

Gawd I miss the past when things werent so asinine like now

#15 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

Gawd I miss the past when things werent so asinine like now

This is because in the hazy golden past the cows in Folsom outnumbered the people. I'm fine with the city making an effort to keep things nice. But I'm one of the generally despised newcomers.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users