8 replies to this topic

#1 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

So, we have the 2 chickens now, the prob is one is a rooster and we need to find them a home. Anyone have fam or friends who would like 2 chickens, we have the coop, perspective owners must live on a farm. The chickens are sweet and friendly and enjoy being picked up and will come when you call or say treat...we will be putting them on craigslist soon...

#2 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

So, we have the 2 chickens now, the prob is one is a rooster and we need to find them a home. Anyone have fam or friends who would like 2 chickens, we have the coop, perspective owners must live on a farm. The chickens are sweet and friendly and enjoy being picked up and will come when you call or say treat...we will be putting them on craigslist soon...

Found a home for both on a farm, yay!

#3 Dollsnstuff2

Dollsnstuff2

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Gardening. Sustainable Landscaping. Backyard Food.

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you had to get rid of your chickens. They can be a marvelous addition to your yard, a great source of fresh eggs and a great learning experience for your kids. You might want to consider getting chickens again, only making sure you get a pair of hens or pullets (juvenile, not-laying-yet hens) and trying again.. There are smaller breeds, including banties and silkies that are adorable and much smaller then the standard sized hen. If you have the coop and pen all set up, it would be easy to do. And creating a chicken-friendly garden for free-range chickens is fun and fairly easy, too.

If you are still interested and would like additional information, you can IM me. I have a boatload of info on keeping chickens (and have a couple myself) I'm a big proponent of the old-style Victory Gardens, including keeping your own chickens.

Or check out the Small Animal Exchange in Orangevale, this Saturday the 11th. You can meet up with folks who have hens and other small animals to buy, trade or sell any animal you can carry and cage. No dogs or cats, please. Or just spend your morning talking poultry and meeting some great people! LOCATION: 7546 Larkspur Lane in Orangevale, from 9-12. The Exchange is a lot of fun! There is a very knowlegeble lady, Nancy, from the Yellow Rose Ranch over in Antelope. She specializes in heritage birds and breeds many of them to maintain the breeds. You can contact and/or follow her on Facebook at Yellow Rose Ranch, too.

#4 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

Very cool! I raised chickens at my last house and really enjoyed it plus the fresh eggs are really great to get!

One of these days I'd like to raise chickens again, it'd be nice to have a couple around for fresh eggs.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#5 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Next time just sell or rehome the rooster. Then get a younger chick as a companion for the one you have left. where did you buy your chicks? The place I went to sexed the chicks. I ended up with all females, this year.

#6 Dollsnstuff2

Dollsnstuff2

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

Next time just sell or rehome the rooster. Then get a younger chick as a companion for the one you have left. where did you buy your chicks? The place I went to sexed the chicks. I ended up with all females, this year.

There is a place in the Antelope area called the Yellow Rose Ranch. Nancy specializes in harder to find and heritage birds. She has a lot of different types of absolutely gorgeous chickens in a lot of different sizes (as well as ducks, turkeys, quail and others).
  • 5244 Turret Court
  • Sacramento, California 95842
  • Phone1 (916) 993-3922Emailyellowroseranch@live.comWebsitehttp://www.yellowros...h.org</li></ul>
    She is a great source for all kinds of backyard fowl, and is very knowledgeable. Also there is one more Small Animal Exchange to take place in ORangevale the second Saturday in September. There are a lot of folks who show up with chickens, rabbits and such and they are all very knowledgeable about backyard animals. You can get notifications from Nancy on her facebook page Yellow Rose Ranch for place and time. If you contact her, tell her Karen referred you...I don't get anything out of it, she just knows you come referred.

#7 giasmom

giasmom

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Oh, thank you so much for the info. When we bought our chicks the lady said it wasnt possible to sex them, we would need to take our chances. We would have kept the chickens, despite what they did to the yard, the kids loved them and they were fun, its just the rooster bothered our neighbors,he made his wakeup call all day long,they roamed the back yard freely. We have never had to rehome a pet, we just stick with it once we bring one into our family. We have had mice, rats, snakes, fish that were a hassle but we kept them till they went to heaven. We've had cats live to 15 another to 18, we currently have a border collie that is 15..We gave the chickens to a friend who has a farm and was looking for chickens as pets...

#8 Dollsnstuff2

Dollsnstuff2

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

Chickens are a marvelous way for kids to learn about where their food comes from, taking care of something that requires a little care, and training said critter. Mine come when they're called because they associate me with food and goodies. They also make lovely yard art if you can let them run loose in your backyard. The eggs are fabulous (since I do a lot of baking, they are REALLY great.)
If you do contact Nancy at Yellow Rose Ranch, she is really good at sexing the chicks pretty early on. She is very knowledgeable and has some really wonderful birds. If you do want to get chickens again, you might want to consider bantams which are the little chickens. They lay smaller eggs, but the fun of having them outweighs most of the negatives. And Nancy will take back any roos and exchange them for hens if you want. I purposely didn't get any roosters because I didn't want to bother the neighbors. The hens make MUCH less noise than the dogs who bark, yap and howl constantly on either side of us.

#9 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

Where did you get your chickens? I'm thinking about getting some. Are you raising your chickens in your apartment?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users