• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 lakenatoma

lakenatoma

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

I posted back in may after my Valero gas card was comprised, I only used it at That Station on east Bidwell the charges were posted from LA area, When I called the Folsom Police they said let me guess the Valero Station on East Bidwell ? I asked why they have not arrested this owner yet ? We are trying to he takes the card reader out before they can get him. I ended up having charges over $1600.00, I called Valero and they are trying to get him out. Do not Do not use that station for any reason crooks and thieves ! You have been warned !

#2 4thgenFolsomite

4thgenFolsomite

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

I posted back in may after my Valero gas card was comprised, I only used it at That Station on east Bidwell the charges were posted from LA area, When I called the Folsom Police they said let me guess the Valero Station on East Bidwell ? I asked why they have not arrested this owner yet ? We are trying to he takes the card reader out before they can get him. I ended up having charges over $1600.00, I called Valero and they are trying to get him out. Do not Do not use that station for any reason crooks and thieves ! You have been warned !

wow, thanks for the warning! so I wonder if all credit cards are vulnerable. seems like it would be easy for them to prove. sorry you had to learn the lesson to teach us.
Knowing the past helps deciphering the future.

#3 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for the warning! And since Valero is not removing him now I will boycott ALL Valero has stations from now on

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Wow. I use that gas station all the time. Do you go inside and pay or do you use the pump island? The owner is a nice guy. He just came back from an extended illnesss and had a nephew watching the store. I think he told me it was almost 8 months. Entirely possible the card skimmer was being put in the pump by someone and then being taken out every few days to make sure detection is harder. This often happens to pumps without owners knowing.

#5 lakenatoma

lakenatoma

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

I am not sure about ATM card or Visa/ Master cards ? I only used my Valero card at that station ? The charges started that day in the LA area $150.00 each time my Pruis only holds 10 gallons? The owner and his wife are middle eastern and when I called the stations in the LA area the people answering the phone had a accent to ? They are net working together sad ah ?

#6 lakenatoma

lakenatoma

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

The pump I used was the out side pump by East Bidwell on May 25 Friday Morning around 10:00 AM The Folsom Police believe he puts it in for the weekends then takes it out during the weekdays ? They have cheap gas for a reason ?

#7 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

This is confusing. When you say the police say they are trying to catch him but "he" takes the skimmer out before they can catch him, are you saying it's the station owner or an outside individual placing the skimming device on the pumps?

In Roseville, they just busted three individuals for this. What surprised me is they actually are able to place the skimming device inside the pump without setting off any alarms. I thought the skimmers were attached to the outside and if you wiggled them you could tell they were fake. I don't understand why stations aren't making the pumps more secure so theives can't get inside the pump panels.

#8 asbestoshills

asbestoshills

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

THis has been happening for a long time now. Obviously, the owners have crooked people working for them or they are in fact thieves themselves. Either way, they aren't protecting you as a customer adn I personally never do business with small gas stations b/c you also can't guarantee their gas quality. Costco, Sam's Club and Cheveron are the best in Folsom I think.
Americans, don't just come in one color or race.

#9 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

I doubt you are dealing with the owner doing this or condoning this. Most often this is a scammer who runs a route and drives to many locations and changes his cards in and out on a weekly basis.

It is just as infuriating for the owners of these gas stations as for the police and the victims; because it makes it harder to detect the actual thief. I bet you the owner is angry as well as you. This hurts his bottom dollar when people find out a skimmer was found at their location.

On a side note, it would be harder to see a skimmer putter a card reader in one of those pumps because of the visibility of the pumps from inside.

THis has been happening for a long time now. Obviously, the owners have crooked people working for them or they are in fact thieves themselves. Either way, they aren't protecting you as a customer adn I personally never do business with small gas stations b/c you also can't guarantee their gas quality. Costco, Sam's Club and Cheveron are the best in Folsom I think.

All valero, Am Pm , etc franchises have to buy their gas from certain pipelines. Not so easy these days to water down fuel for profit, especially when the wieghts and scales management teams are watching for this sort of stuff.

#10 lakenatoma

lakenatoma

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

Everything leads to the owner putting a card reader in the pump ! Really ! According to the Folsom Police the card reader is hidden inside the machine not a fake outside one. The owner has to be in on it, It is networked with many Valero Stations in the LA area.

#11 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

So the police told you they are investigating the owner as the thief?

#12 ducky

ducky

untitled

• Premium Member
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

Even if the owner isn't "in on it," they should be more vigilant to open and check every pump panel as soon as they open, several times throughout the day, and at closing to protect their customers if this is happening regularly.

#13 lakenatoma

lakenatoma

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

That is what I was told, it has happened many times in the past ? Why would it keep happening if an employee did it ? Firing the employee would be an easy fix ?

#14 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

Even if the owner isn't "in on it," they should be more vigilant to open and check every pump panel as soon as they open, several times throughout the day, and at closing to protect their customers if this is happening regularly.

You would think, but it is not practical.

But, I know the owner. I will go down there and let him know about this thread and see if he is in fact aware that this person is targeting him as a thief.

ok--I should have a softer tone--I will let the owner know that someone has brought this incident to the attention of Folsom residents via an online forum.

:)

#15 lakenatoma

lakenatoma

• Registered Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

I assumed you had to know him you seem to be protecting a thief ? Why ? He is what he is ? Good people don't steal from other people ? Good people don't protect thieves !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users