44 replies to this topic

#1 rockstargary

rockstargary

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:42 AM

For those that don't know me I am a man with long hair. I've toyed with the idea for several years and finally bit the bullet last year. My hair length is now past my shoulders. My decision to grow my hair came after I became employed to my current job. I have since been at this job for almost 18 months. During that time I received NO warnings or comments from management regarding the length of my hair. I currently wear it down and am not opposed to wearing it in a ponytail if need be; however, after a management change I was recently informed that "a couple of people" had a problem with my hair. Since I work through an agency to my current employer a person from my agency was the one who informed me rather than my supervisor. Currently there are a couple of men on my floor who have long hair albeit tied up either in braids or a ponytail.

Am I overthinking this or am I being discriminated against? Do men HAVE to wear a short hairstyle in order to succeed in today's America?

And the ultimate question...

Should I cut my hair? If so, how short?

Thank you for reading and I welcome your comments.

Rock Star Gary

#2 Orangetj

Orangetj

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:46 AM

Interesting. If it's not too personal, what type of work do you do? Is there any possibility that long hair could pose a safety hazard? Are there women with long hair in your workplace? Have you asked your employer why your hair length is a concern to them? Hair length is not a protected item in the workplace, but it is a fine line for an employer to walk. For instance, a person may wear their hair long as a result of their religion, cultural identity, etc..

#3 nlove4ever

nlove4ever

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:30 AM

If it posed a hazard I could understand, but if it is just a personal issue then it is ridiculous, especially since you have been there for a while.

Where I work, people, meaning men and women have long hair, short hair, no hair, purple hair, red hair, blue hair. Tattoos, nose rings, eyebrow rings, etc. You need to get a job where they encourage diversity.

#4 supermom

supermom

Supermom

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

unless you work in the food industry or the mechanic world the length of your hair should never have even been an issue at work. However, the cleanliness, brushed, tied back whatever may enhance a more accepting feel toward a male with long hair. There are a few civilians that work next to us army folk that have long hair. male and female. We treat it the same. Work output is more important. However, there are many professional places that consider long hair on a guy to be a sign eccentricity (which the company likes, as it adds to creativity). But then there are pro companies that distinctly discourage long hair on males as they feel it takes away from their companies image. Frankly, you should ask your supervisor. The other person may have just been wanting to start some beef with you, without doing so directly (petty BS).

#5 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:55 AM

long hair on guys is puke.gif makes me think of dirty hippe.gif and that is a big thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Funny that my mom says the exact opposite!
<3

#6 ngilbert

ngilbert

Rainbow Bridge Troll

• Premium Member
  • 5,368 posts
  • Interests:filling out questionaires

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(Orangetj @ Jul 25 2007, 11:46 AM) View Post
For instance, a person may wear their hair long as a result of their religion, cultural identity, etc..

Tell them that you'll have to ask permission from the tribal elders, but you already know what they're going to say - that it's just another case of paleface oppression of your traditional way of life.

Dunno if you're Native American or not, but nothing shuts down the hair nazis quicker than the threat of a discrimination suit smile.gif

"Here's the last toast of the evening: Here's to those who still believe. All the losers will be winners, all the givers will receive. Here's to trouble-free tomorrows, may your sorrows all be small. Here's to the losers: bless them all
Sinatra "Here's to the Losers"

#7 doj_gal

doj_gal

MyFolsom's Back at it Kid!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:08 PM

I guess it depends on a few things...where you work, if there are rules in your companies policies regarding grooming and if you look like a long haired, tree hugging, unkempt hippy....I have crazy curly hair...I rarely wear my hair down do to the fact that I look like a 1960's homeless person with crazy unkempt hair...and no matter what I do to it...how long I take to straighten it...by the end of the day I look horrible and frankly my job doesn't appreciate that look...Regardless of male or female...take it into perspective...do you brush your hair, is it clean, does it look taken care of...if you answered no then i would cut your hair....there is nothing worse than people with crazy ugly hair that choose to wear it down and risk the chance of that curly mess ending up in my cubicle!!!! Gross!!!! Well unless your a hot, italian, chisled, male model...then you can have an unruly mess of long hair in my cubicle any day!!!!

#8 Robert Giacometti

Robert Giacometti

There are no Dumb questions

• Premium Member
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:23 PM

I've been looking for a new stylest, trying to change my image. Until I find a real creative stylist who speacilizes in comb overs or until the new tanker truck of rogaine arrives, I'll keep my hair short.

#9 bordercolliefan

bordercolliefan

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 5,596 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

This is a difficult issue. On the one hand, we think that no one, including employers, should make judgments about people based on such superficial characteristics.

On the other hand, the reality is that an employee's appearance does tend to factor in to how managers and co-workers evaluate that employee. If you want to get ahead, you have to "fit" the corporate culture -- or else be so fantastic at your job that they are willing to grant you some leeway.

Different companies have different cultures. If you work at IBM (at least up until recent years), you better be comfy in a white shirt and dark suit. Hi-tech companies have more lenient cultures (especially among engineers): I understand that Intel's top geniuses (the "Intel Fellows") can show up whenever they want, in whatever they want... and a few of them have crazy ZZTop hair.

Companies want to please their customers. Where I work, the owners received a complaint about a receptionist who was wearing an extremely low-cut top. She was spoken to the next day.

I think men's long hair in a ponytail looks very neat and professional. But it sounds like the "down" look is pushing the limits of your company's culture.

#10 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

sounds like they possibly just don't like the giant hair flowing shaggy look. Just put it in a pony tail, keep it nice and you should be fine.

the key is to not push it or flaunt it in the work place, they likely just want you to look professional or at least not like a hippy.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#11 nhardy

nhardy

MyFolsom's 12th Round Pick

• Premium Member
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

Do you wear the "Kentucky Waterfall" or the "Camero Crash Helmet"?
To all you Freaks, don't stop the rock....

#12 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:12 PM

Hair style is not a protected class, so unless you have it long for religious reasons or sexual preference, it's not discrimination.

HIPPIES!

"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#13 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:18 PM

Yuck Dirty hippies!!! hippe.gif shoot.gif
<3

#14 sat

sat

Hall Of Famer

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

I work for a fairly conservative company, but they allow long hair on males. However, I have noticed that the men who do keep it long, they wear their hair in a ponytail. I personally don't care either way, but many of my coworkers seem to like the hair short, or tied back. Not sure why.

#15 Deb aka Resume Lady

Deb aka Resume Lady

Hopeless Addict

• No Politics!
  • 8,361 posts
  • Interests:Sole proprietor: Tailored Resume Services
    Volunteer: Court Appointed Special Advocate for a child in the foster care system

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:29 PM

Since your manager hasn't come to you directly to discuss this, I'd recommend being proactive by going to your manager for clarification and direction in the resolution. Ask if the issue is grooming, style, etc ... and whether pulling it back in a ponytail would resolve the matter.

(I'm wondering, as well, what field you're in and what type of customers -- if any -- you serve.)
Job Search Consultant
Tailored Resume Services
(916) 984-0855

Volunteer, Court Appointed Special Advocate for Sacramento CASA * I Am for the Child
Making a Difference in the Life of Abused and Neglected Children in Foster Care
http://www.sacramentocasa.org/

I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. ~ Edward Everett Hale

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users