46 replies to this topic

#31 FolsomResident2002

FolsomResident2002

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

I use my iPhone as my gps. When I'm driving by myself I will pull over to view/review. If I'm along with someone it is easier.

#32 Darth Lefty

Darth Lefty

Disco Infiltrator

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts
  • Interests:Volunteer with a service club like Active 20-30, and you CAN make a difference!

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ May 20 2008, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love my Garmin 60CSX... I wouldn't want any other one. Very easy to use once you figure out all the functions. It goes in my truck, on my motorcycle or in my pocket.

I just bought a Garmin Zumo. I'll have to remember to let you know how it works out. Haven't set it up yet since there's no room on the clipons.
"I enjoy a bit of cooking, and this has always worried me. But it's OK. I only like it because it allows me to play with knives." - James May

Genesis 49:16-17
http://www.active2030folsom.org

#33 ChipShot

ChipShot

Golfer-In-Chief

• Banned
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

Unless you're constantly driving in unfamiliar areas, I don't really see it passing the cost/benefit test.
I have opinions, you have opinions. We'll just call it even...is that OK ??

#34 Bill Z

Bill Z

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (ChipShot @ Jan 2 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you're constantly driving in unfamiliar areas, I don't really see it passing the cost/benefit test.

I use mine on long trips when i know exactly where I am going. It is very useful in estimating time of arrival, so I know in advance to call ahead if I'm going to be late with an idea of how late I will be. It also comes in handy when searching for dining establishments when in only semi-familiar areas.

And while it might not pass the cost/benefit test for you, it could for someone else. No one here is telling you that you need to go buy one, but for those that have them and use them, it can be a very useful tool.
I would rather be Backpacking

#35 eVader

eVader

Living Legend

• No Politics!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 2 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use mine on long trips when i know exactly where I am going. It is very useful in estimating time of arrival, so I know in advance to call ahead if I'm going to be late with an idea of how late I will be. It also comes in handy when searching for dining establishments when in only semi-familiar areas.

And while it might not pass the cost/benefit test for you, it could for someone else. No one here is telling you that you need to go buy one, but for those that have them and use them, it can be a very useful tool.

And besides, it is against the Code of Man that we can NOT stop and ask for directions.

#36 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (Bill Z @ Jan 2 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He has no idea what he is missing lagging behind in the 20th century

#37 Ram_it!

Ram_it!

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles<br />Trucks<br />Boats<br />camping<br />

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

Garmin, its the only way to go. Best GPS out there.

I highly recomend the text to speech function. If it doesnt have that then I would pass. Text to speech announces the street by name instead of just, "left in 100 yards".

The newer garmins have a better POI library than most. I have found TomTom and Magellan to be very weak in this area. If you drive in the citys or in heavily tree covered area then the SIRF technology would be a plus.

"I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing."
Socrates

#38 Jolene

Jolene

Well-versed in how I might be cursed.

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

I really wanted to get a Garmin, because those are the mileage trackers I use (have the forerunner), but I'm turned off by the pay to update. Ugh.

Also, re: iPhone, that's kind of why I'm researching this.

I'm trying to decide between getting a new iPod, a Blackberry phone and a portable GPS, or just biting the bullet and getting an iPhone. Jesse was trying to sell me on the iPhone, due to the GPS capabilities, so if I just get him his own GPS system, then I can go the other route with the iPod and Blackberry. (I'm really turned off by the data charge on the iPhone, as much as I would love to have one. )
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING MY GIRL.
We could not be doing this without you.
Much love and gratitude.

#39 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (Jolene @ Jan 4 2009, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really wanted to get a Garmin, because those are the mileage trackers I use (have the forerunner), but I'm turned off by the pay to update. Ugh.

Also, re: iPhone, that's kind of why I'm researching this.

I'm trying to decide between getting a new iPod, a Blackberry phone and a portable GPS, or just biting the bullet and getting an iPhone. Jesse was trying to sell me on the iPhone, due to the GPS capabilities, so if I just get him his own GPS system, then I can go the other route with the iPod and Blackberry. (I'm really turned off by the data charge on the iPhone, as much as I would love to have one. )

Hey Jolene, just got back from L.A., sorry for the delayed reply... I have that Magellan and its cool, but I also use my iphone for some gps stuff - the other day I got a really cool GPS application for my iphone that does a lot of what the forerunner does (remember I bought that one from you and I've used it a lot while riding my bicycle) this app does the milage tracking just like the ol' forerunner..and a whole lot more.

The GPS on the iphone is actually pretty cool, I like the way it shows where you are on the map and it moves along as you move. One note, it doesn't have any voice features like a regular GPS does and it will consume a fair amount of battery power if run for a long time - usually what I do is just fire up the GPS when I'm in near a place I'm trying to find, or I run it from the cigerette lighter charger

the iphone has a ton of amazing gps apps that do all kinds of things that you can add on to the basic gps iphone feature

I gotta say, if you're considering buying all three of those devices, get the iphone instead because it will do all the things those devices can do and a whole lot more

...but there is that danged data fee - maybe weigh out the pros and cons of all the charges between those devices and the iphone - plus also consider how much the iphone can store versus an ipod... then see which stack up to the best deal for what you want

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#40 Ram_it!

Ram_it!

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

I love the iphone. My father in law has one and its really cool. While it has GPS in it, i just dont see it really replacing a GPS in a car. Ther pretty nifty for all the devices they have in one but I have the same philosophy about the camera in them. While its cool to have a camera in the phone it doesnt take away form my desire to have a real camera. I think the devices in a phone are far from replacing the real deal.
Socrates

#41 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (Ram_it! @ Jan 4 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love the iphone. My father in law has one and its really cool. While it has GPS in it, i just dont see it really replacing a GPS in a car. Ther pretty nifty for all the devices they have in one but I have the same philosophy about the camera in them. While its cool to have a camera in the phone it doesnt take away form my desire to have a real camera. I think the devices in a phone are far from replacing the real deal.

I agree, and that's why I still use my Magellan GPS in the car for driving directions when going to a place I do not know and if I'm looking to take hi res photos I bring my camera, but I have to admit, the iphone actually has a pretty decent camera in it, much better then most camera phones

the nice thing about the iphone with gps and phone and all is that you can have an everything in one device instead of having to carry around a big bag of gear

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#42 Ram_it!

Ram_it!

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (davburr @ Jan 5 2009, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree, and that's why I still use my Magellan GPS in the car for driving directions when going to a place I do not know and if I'm looking to take hi res photos I bring my camera, but I have to admit, the iphone actually has a pretty decent camera in it, much better then most camera phones

the nice thing about the iphone with gps and phone and all is that you can have an everything in one device instead of having to carry around a big bag of gear

Yeah, I am sold on an iphone myself. As soon as I find a job and collect a paycheck again, i will start thinking about buying one. The ipone does have a pretty nice camera in it. I have seen some photos taken by one and it was nicer than some digital cameras. However, I still prefer just being able to pop the card out of the camera and into the slot on the computer. Thats one thing I like about my sony ericson. It takes nice 2MP pictures and has a memory card slot as well.
Socrates

#43 Twize

Twize

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

Strolled into bestbuy one day and saw the 129.99 sale on the Garmin Nuvi 205, though what the heck and gave it a try. Been very happy with it on my bike and cars. I just got mounts for all the vehicles. Held off on the iphone at the time due to the intitial cost. For the money, the nuvi 205 is a good buy and performer.

Here's a shot of it on my bike. I figure from reading the other thread, my next ride with some of you will be a brisk pace, not really my style anymore, so I'll need to key in the destination coordinates in advance smile.gif

Breaking the mold: My Harley Street Glide w/ GPS smile.gif

#44 Ram_it!

Ram_it!

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (Twize @ Jan 5 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Strolled into bestbuy one day and saw the 129.99 sale on the Garmin Nuvi 205, though what the heck and gave it a try. Been very happy with it on my bike and cars. I just got mounts for all the vehicles. Held off on the iphone at the time due to the intitial cost. For the money, the nuvi 205 is a good buy and performer.

Here's a shot of it on my bike. I figure from reading the other thread, my next ride with some of you will be a brisk pace, not really my style anymore, so I'll need to key in the destination coordinates in advance smile.gif

Breaking the mold: My Harley Street Glide w/ GPS smile.gif

Be carefull, the nuvi series arent waterproof.
Socrates

#45 Twize

Twize

Netizen

• Registered Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (Ram_it! @ Jan 5 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Be carefull, the nuvi series arent waterproof.

Yeh I know, don't intentionally ride in the rain, but if it does come about, i'll just put it in my pocket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users