Photo

Netbook Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 (The Dude)

(The Dude)
  • Visitors

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

Why do people want super small computers? Is it like trying to decide between a cell phone and a laptop?

#47 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

Doug, I thought the us15w would do 2GB, although I think it has to be done with a dual rank simm and maybe dell didnt have room for that in the case?

The 11w is a one rank, 1GB arrangement.

#48 DougP

DougP

Veteran

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (bunny @ Mar 1 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doug, I thought the us15w would do 2GB, although I think it has to be done with a dual rank simm and maybe dell didnt have room for that in the case?

The 11w is a one rank, 1GB arrangement.

I'm not a silicon designer, but a software engineer familiar with the internals of US15W. My information is also based on its documented technical specifications.

The officially supported and validated configuration is limited to 1GB

http://download.inte...shts/319537.pdf

#49 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

Hmm, some inconsistency in the documents.

http://download.inte...dbrf/319545.pdf

Says up to 2GB. Although I'd believe a datasheet before I'd believe a product brief.

Bunch of slowpokes, too busy trying to control the universe to get their documentation straight wink.gif

#50 bunny

bunny

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (The Dude @ Mar 1 2009, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do people want super small computers? Is it like trying to decide between a cell phone and a laptop?

Cool factor (wow, look how small it is!), the portability for regular travelers, and it also triggers a destination desire in the customer where they picture themselves surfing the web in cool coffee shops.

They end up sitting on the porch in their underpants drinking generic cola.

#51 Lisa in Folsom

Lisa in Folsom

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Feb 27 2009, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can Linux be installed on a netbook? That's a much better OS then waiting for Microshaft Windoze 7

You're right about the iphone not working with flash, that is a drag but I haven't used too many sites that are flash based so I've been able to surf pretty good using my iphone on many sites.
I read some news this morning about a new firmware code coming out that has a few lines of code in it for what is rumored to be for a new product release this summer, something beyond just additional memory - maybe this new version is the fix for the flash probs too.

I got an eeepc netbook with Linux and it has been a pain. Understanding that I am not a techie, I have lots of compatibility issues with downloading audio books, tv programs etc. I have also not been able to use it for webinars since they were windows based. Be careful about how much of the memory is already taken up by existing programs. I have also had to send the netbook in to asus and have the system reinstalled once (within the first 2 months). The next time it froze up, they told me not to install software updates because the Linux updates were causing all kinds of problems.

I was also told that I cannot use the AT & T wireless cards and so I can only use it at hot spots or on my home wireless.

All of this was oddly left out of the sales presentation at Best Buy. Sigh.

#52 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (The Dude @ Mar 1 2009, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, that is close to why I started this thread. We plan to do a lot of travelling this summer and I wanted something ultra-portable to stay connected. I decided that a full-function PC would be more useful altogether.

I ended up ordering the new 10" Aspire One from Amazon about a week ago. $350, no tax. It arrived last Thursday. It's basically a full-fledged laptop, sans optical drive. It's essentially the same as the 9" model described by FFG earlier in the thread - about 1/2 inch bigger in width and depth (10.2 x 8 x 1.3 in IIRC), and a half pound heavier (2.9 lbs). This baby came with a big 6-cell battery that gets 7-8 hrs between charges! 1G RAM, 160G HD, Intel Atom N270 CPU, Intel 945 GSE (GMA 950) Calistoga chipset, 1024 x 600 screen resolution. Win XP Home. So far, so good.

The 9" model with a 3-cell battery, BTW, was available at Costco last week ($299). There was also a very sleek 10" HP model available ($399) - but you spend more and lose a bunch of disk space and some ports (non-standard VGA port; only 2 USB).

#53 webuser

webuser

All Star

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (mando @ Mar 2 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, that is close to why I started this thread. We plan to do a lot of travelling this summer and I wanted something ultra-portable to stay connected. I decided that a full-function PC would be more useful altogether.

I ended up ordering the new 10" Aspire One from Amazon about a week ago. $350, no tax. It arrived last Thursday. It's basically a full-fledged laptop, sans optical drive. It's essentially the same as the 9" model described by FFG earlier in the thread - about 1/2 inch bigger in width and depth (10.2 x 8 x 1.3 in IIRC), and a half pound heavier (2.9 lbs). This baby came with a big 6-cell battery and gets 7-8 hrs between charges! 1G RAM, 160G HD, Intel Atom N270 CPU, Intel 945 GSE (GMA 950) Calistoga chipset, 1280 x 600 screen resolution. Win XP Home. So far, so good.

The 9" model with a 3-cell battery, BTW, was available at Costco last week ($299). There was also a very sleek 10" HP model available ($399) - but you spend more and lose a bunch of disk space.

I just looked at the Amazon web site and it lists the screen resolution as 1024X600, not 1280X600.

#54 mando

mando

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (webuser @ Mar 2 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just looked at the Amazon web site and it lists the screen resolution as 1024X600, not 1280X600.

Thanks for the correction. My bad. I knew that. Just entered the wrong thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users