47 replies to this topic

#1 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

1) I have lots of duplicates on my Itunes. Once I identify which ones I want to delete, I though a simple right click and dlete would take care of that issue. That does not seem to work because there is no delete option there. I also tried presseng the delete key on the keyboard and still no luck. Is there anything else I should do?

2) I have one IPOD and the Mrs has another IPOD. Diffrent IPODS with different signs, and the IPOD names are different, BUT when I sync mine, I get her songs automatically and she gets mine. So now she has like 100 songs of mine that she does not want and vise versa. So the question I have is that since we use the same laptop and have one Itunes, what is the solution to this problem?

Thank you in advance.

#2 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

Delete key has always worked for me.

You need to set them to not auto sync otherwise you will get all of the stuff in the itunes library everytime you hook them up.

#3 nlove4ever

nlove4ever

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Mar 16 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Delete key has always worked for me.

You need to set them to not auto sync otherwise you will get all of the stuff in the itunes library everytime you hook them up.

So my oldest has thousands of songs and we have 4 Ipods in the house. I thought I figured out to set up different libraries but it didnt work out to well. Every time he wants to load new songs we have to drag all of his songs over and it takes forever. Is there another way to set up multiple users so you dont have to do this?

#4 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Reading
    Fishing
    Read and discuss about spiritual matters

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (nlove4ever @ Mar 16 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So my oldest has thousands of songs and we have 4 Ipods in the house. I thought I figured out to set up different libraries but it didnt work out to well. Every time he wants to load new songs we have to drag all of his songs over and it takes forever. Is there another way to set up multiple users so you dont have to do this?

We have a similar problem and have decided to manage our library via play lists. We will each have our own set of play lists. My wife's name is Donna so she will have:
DPop
DChristian
DBlues
DFolk
etc...
We will tag the playlists for sync to our individual ipods. I would think this would be easier than attempting multiple libraries. It will be interesting to see what others here do. We can both have the same songs and some not the same this way. However it is critical to have your genre's normalized. Otherwise you would have a mess.

#5 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

I don't keep anything in my itunes library unless I am about to put it on the ipod. When it gets put on the ipod I delete it from the library.

#6 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

I suspect that the problem has to do with the Itunes STORE login. For example, if you are logged in as YOU and it is always logged in as "YOU", then anytime you sync with ANY IPOD (differnt name, and different Ipod), the software will always think its you and NOT the second user.

This is just a WILD guess. I will have to try that tonight to see if that makes a difference. I am still frustrated because I canmnot delete duplicates.

#7 nlove4ever

nlove4ever

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Mar 16 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't keep anything in my itunes library unless I am about to put it on the ipod. When it gets put on the ipod I delete it from the library.

Well if you go in and add a new song, dont you have to bring everything back in to your itunes before synching to add your new song? Otherwise it would just delete everything and not add the new song right?

#8 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
    Reading
    Fishing

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Mar 16 2009, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suspect that the problem has to do with the Itunes STORE login. For example, if you are logged in as YOU and it is always logged in as "YOU", then anytime you sync with ANY IPOD (differnt name, and different Ipod), the software will always think its you and NOT the second user.

This is just a WILD guess. I will have to try that tonight to see if that makes a difference. I am still frustrated because I canmnot delete duplicates.

That might be a good point. My wife and I share the same itunes login.

#9 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (MSgt @ Mar 16 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know that's illegal, right?
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#10 MSgt

MSgt

Living Legend

• 3,405 posts
    Reading
    Fishing

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (mylo @ Mar 16 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no... I had no idea. That is stupid. If I buy a CD we both use the cd.
How do they expect a family to have music? We use one pc for music and our ipods.

#11 nlove4ever

nlove4ever

Superstar

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (MSgt @ Mar 16 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How the heck do you get an itunes login? I must be a complete idiot. We just open itunes and that is it. smile.gif

#12 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (MSgt @ Mar 16 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have a similar problem and have decided to manage our library via play lists. We will each have our own set of play lists. My wife's name is Donna so she will have:
DPop
DChristian
DBlues
DFolk
etc...
We will tag the playlists for sync to our individual ipods. I would think this would be easier than attempting multiple libraries. It will be interesting to see what others here do. We can both have the same songs and some not the same this way. However it is critical to have your genre's normalized. Otherwise you would have a mess.

Multiple liabraries would be better for spacing issues. If you have smaller capacity IPOD, then you would not want all the other songs from someone else in your household and vise versa. just a thought.

#13 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (MSgt @ Mar 16 2009, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no... I had no idea. That is stupid. If I buy a CD we both use the cd.
How do they expect a family to have music? We use one pc for music and our ipods.

Yes, but you can't listen to the CD in your car while she listens to it at work. The RIAA would love to sell you each a copy of the CD, just as they require that you each purchase your iPod content.

#14 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (nlove4ever @ Mar 16 2009, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How the heck do you get an itunes login? I must be a complete idiot. We just open itunes and that is it. smile.gif

You had to register in order to purchase content. Your account also holds your credit card info and the database of content you have purchased. Once you're signed in, however, you rarely need to "re-login".

#15 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (mylo @ Mar 16 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Millions and millions of people around the US and abroad share the same itunes account.
How is that ilegal if you have the same credit cards?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users