47 replies to this topic

#31 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Photography, Travel, Art

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Mar 16 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just spoke with an IPOD junkie and he states that there was a glitch with Itunes mixing several playlists and songs, BUT the very latest Itunes download version should take care of that. Now it should recognize each IPOD as unique to its owner rather than pulling songs from one o= to another.

They update and have so many new versions. maybe I have an older version of Itunes.

Now only if I could dlete some of these duplicates.

its not that hard to delete duplicates - first find them all then click delete AND make sure you select delete from source.

you should really use playlists to create different music selections for different users. It makes no sense to try and create a new library for each user.

Travel, food and drink blog by Davehttp://davestravels.tv

#32 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Mar 16 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its not that hard to delete duplicates - first find them all then click delete AND make sure you select delete from source.

you should really use playlists to create different music selections for different users. It makes no sense to try and create a new library for each user.

I have isolated these duplicates. When I right click, I do not have that delete option. Now someone told me to find the master directory somewhere on my PC and delete them from there. I will give that a try. If I move all my favorite to my own folder and the Mrs to her folder, will we be able to see eachothers folders?

#33 mylo

mylo

Mmm.. Tomato

• 16,763 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

I don't have iTunes on this PC, but isn't there a "find duplicates" button somewhere.
"Ah, yes, those Gucci extremists and their Prada jihad!" --ducky

#34 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Mar 16 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you burn cd's everytime you want to load your ipod? it'd be much easier to digitize your entire music collection instead of doing it piece meal per need.

To answer your question...

QUOTE (chris v @ Mar 16 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope...
We have 4 ipods in our house... and none of us listen to the same music. All 4 ipods are set up to be managed manually. There is never any syncing going on. All media files are stored on a external HD.

#35 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (chris v @ Mar 16 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To answer your question...

ah cool, you've already got your music all digitized - I have mine all on an external drive too

#36 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (mylo @ Mar 16 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have iTunes on this PC, but isn't there a "find duplicates" button somewhere.

yes, there is - its under one of the menu items

#37 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (palango @ Mar 16 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have isolated these duplicates. When I right click, I do not have that delete option. Now someone told me to find the master directory somewhere on my PC and delete them from there. I will give that a try. If I move all my favorite to my own folder and the Mrs to her folder, will we be able to see eachothers folders?

no need to right click - just use the delete button on your keyboard

find all your music and move it to ONE location, then set your itunes preferences for that location

#38 cw68

cw68

Hopeless Addict

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (davburr @ Mar 16 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ah cool, you've already got your music all digitized - I have mine all on an external drive too

How can I run my iTunes from an external drive? I have a terabyte with 45k+ songs on it. I don't want to load all of those onto my computer, but my iPod will hold most of them.

#39 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (cw68 @ Mar 16 2009, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can I run my iTunes from an external drive? I have a terabyte with 45k+ songs on it. I don't want to load all of those onto my computer, but my iPod will hold most of them.

Just reference your external drive in itunes. That should work.

#40 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (mylo @ Mar 16 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First click on the music library to make sure its selected

Then go to the File Menu - select Show Duplicates

#41 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:35 AM

I have already islotaed the duplicates. The problem is that the delete key on the keyboard and the right click key (not showing delete) is not helping.

I wonder if there is a master folder somewhere on the mydocuments or some other folder on the computer where I can go withiout openning up Itunes and delete these 100+ duplicates. this way, when I sync, then it can remove and clean it up.

I will take up everyone's suggestions by moving all my songs into my own playlist and the mrs to her own folders. I still have to configure how I can keep her folder/playlist off mine and vise versa (I think there is a way to configure this).

#42 Dave Burrell

Dave Burrell

Folsom Citizen

• 17,588 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (palango @ Mar 17 2009, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have already islotaed the duplicates. The problem is that the delete key on the keyboard and the right click key (not showing delete) is not helping.

I wonder if there is a master folder somewhere on the mydocuments or some other folder on the computer where I can go withiout openning up Itunes and delete these 100+ duplicates. this way, when I sync, then it can remove and clean it up.

I will take up everyone's suggestions by moving all my songs into my own playlist and the mrs to her own folders. I still have to configure how I can keep her folder/playlist off mine and vise versa (I think there is a way to configure this).

I'd help you further but then I'd have to charge an iTunes HOA fee tongue.gif

seriously tho - the only solution is to move all your music files to a single location - its a bit of manual work but it can help consolidate the duplicates and keep the files managed and organized better.

the way to find out where a file is located is when in itunes right click on the song you want to delete, choose get info, then check out the "where" field and that will tell you exactly where the file is located on your hard drive.

#43 palango

palango

unknown soldier

• Premium Member
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (davburr @ Mar 17 2009, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd help you further but then I'd have to charge an iTunes HOA fee tongue.gif

Oh man.. don't slam dunk Shaq Attack on me when I am down. Don't pour vinegar on my wounds....lol

Thanks for the advice. I thought I was so technologically advanced, but I feel completely useless when it comes to IPOD synchronization. Is it just me or did Apple (legendary for simplicity) make this harder than it should be?

Thanks again.

#44 chris v

chris v

Living Legend

• Premium Member
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:50 AM

It's you... it really is simple to use.

#45 Andrea V

Andrea V

Girl ur mom warned u about!

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (chris v @ Mar 17 2009, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's you... it really is simple to use.

if my MOM can do it with no problems.... it's easy.
<3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users